Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 16:29   #1

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Liveaboard Ideas in Seattle Area (Issaquah)

I'm starting on a project next week that will be located at the southern tip of Lake Sammamish (Costco)

I'm looking for local opportunities in the area for :
- Sailing with a group (I don't have a boat)
- Liveaboard with reasonable commute to Issaquah (on a rented boat)
- Affordable short-term living near the water with reasonable commute

I'll be there about 6 months (through the summer), possibly extending to a year.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:16   #2

Re: Liveaboard Ideas in Seattle Area (Issaquah)

Is anyone in the Seattle area? Any ideas about this at all?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26   #3

I dont mean to be a downer, but...

Any residence near the water (Puget Sound) will have an annoying commute to Issaquah.

Liveaboard slips are harder to come by due to DNR rules and regs. Even then, marina management are likely to grant such permission to owners and tenants only. Not sublets. But I guess it is possible. Not sure how to find such opportunities except keep asking around.

As for group sailing, try crewing boats for events like the Duck Dodge.

Duck Dodge...Seattle Sailboat Races on Lake Union
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44   #4

Good information. Looking at the maps, it appears that the commute from anywhere on any water would be a nightmare. I'm holding out a sliver of hope that some local knowledge will be helpful.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01   #5

Boat: hunter 376

If Seattle is anything like Vancouver, liveaboard space is limited, if not non-existant. There are a few coveted spots, but most have long waiting lists, in the order of 12 years. Many slips have provision for overnight stays, however, and many people actually live aboard by staying low key, maintaining a separate "permanent address." Its often referred to as "stay aboard."
Municipalities often seem uncooperative with boaters for some reason, given that, at least here in Vancouver, they form a very large group. Off topic, it may be that the boating community needs to be more organized and proactive as a political force to allow more slips to be made available, both regular and liveaboard.
Here in Vancouver, it will always be an uphill battle, since, whenever the problem of slip shortage comes up, some idiot always points out how "people are homeless in Vancouver, and you complain you have no where to put your yacht?"
Sigh.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06   #6

I suppose they are proposing to put homeless people in the ocean? Not a bad idea, but I always thought of the Canadians as being more tolerant than that!

I wonder what Lake Sammamish would be like for liveaboard. I'd be OK with a shorehouse, too, but I suspect those have desparately long waiting lists for summer stays.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I wonder what Lake Sammamish would be like for liveaboard. I'd be OK with a shorehouse, too, but I suspect those have desparately long waiting lists for summer stays.
I can practically guarantee finding a liveaboard on the freshwater lakes (Lake Sammamish or Lake Washington) is impossible, if not illegal.

Someone else may know better, but legally the lakes are all ZERO discharge zones. And, while yes one could liveaboard without overboard discharge, this rule/law pressures marina's to forbid liveaboards as the fines for violations can be significant, and the marinas would be liable, as well as the boater.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Watch CL, people advertise boat sublets there all the time. Of course they are usually crusty old dockominiums that don't actually move. And mostly in Shilshole, which would be a pretty good commute. I know plenty of people who commute further though. Live aboard on the lakes doesn't happen, unless its Lake Union.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:26   #9
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
So

Living water to Costco.. well think 90+ min each way.

Though Seattle is not to bad for liveaboards depending on boat length.

Yo can rent a houseboat.. about 2000 a month which is competitive with down town costs.
But you still have the comute out i90

I live on the ship canal and by road I am an hour from my office. If I take the rib .. even with half the journey at 7knots it takes me 30min. But it costs me 24 a day to park.

Seattle traffic sucks on good days.

My advice... Which I haven't stuck too.. live close work hard drive out for fun.

--

For places to sail..
Seattle singles yacht club.. friendly mature crowd.
Sail sand point dingies to 30ft keel boats.

Or you could join one of the clubs.. I was told there are approaching 50 clubs in the greater Seattle area.

If your already a member check for reciprocation agreements.
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:29   #10
mub

Living on Sammamish and washington is illegal.
Union has been colonised.
There is a debate about where washington starts to see if they can get more living space..

Oh no building plots either and the city doesn't want to go up. Something about volcanoes and earthquakes.
Old 09-03-2013, 18:45   #11

After looking more closely, I see that the main body of water I was looking at appears to be a lake, or a group of lakes.

At first I thought it was a bay from the ocean, but the actual shoreline is very far away.

So on second thought -

Any suggestions on great places to live within Costco commuting range with lots of great outdoor events, night life, and dining opportunities? We prefer more adult oriented environments rather than very "family friendly" locations - you know, more wine tastings and jazz concerts, less egg hunts and macaroni art.
Old 09-03-2013, 19:51   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
After looking more closely, I see that the main body of water I was looking at appears to be a lake, or a group of lakes.

At first I thought it was a bay from the ocean, but the actual shoreline is very far away.

So on second thought -

Any suggestions on great places to live within Costco commuting range with lots of great outdoor events, night life, and dining opportunities? We prefer more adult oriented environments rather than very "family friendly" locations - you know, more wine tastings and jazz concerts, less egg hunts and macaroni art.

Lol! Haven't been to Seattle much have you? "Great outdoor events" here tend to require serious equipment and enough determination to brave the weather. Think skiing, mountain climbing, and sailing. Much of the year it's just too damn wet and cold for casual outings. Lots of great dining opportunities, but it's hardly a center of nightlife either. The whole place is one giant suburb. If you get a place downtown or on Capitol Hill you might find some of what you're looking for, and at least it sounds like you'll be here for summer. But prepare to drive long distances for much in the way of fun outdoor outings even then. It's a strange town, the "Seattle Freeze" is very real...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 22:33   #13

I'll be there only for the summer, which should be the best part of the year. Hoping to get the best of the outdoor activities.

I was thinking of a place more in the mountains, similar to Park City in Utah.

The website for Issaquah suggests it's a real outdoorsy kind of place, lots of biking and such, but perhaps will be a bit more family oriented than Park City was.

Of course, once I'm on the ground I'll get a better feel for it.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40   #14
mub

It's Seattle.. it's all the best part of the year!

Seriously. Living here you learn the value of a good rain coat and a good wet locker.

But . It you decide to live up there are some nice towns. But not .. trendy..

For trendy you have to be down town. Capital hill Ballard Fremont. Even queen Ann. Kirkland even has some life.

If you look around online and call out names I'm sure we can give you our take on the neighbourhoods.

As for the Seattle freeze.. I know my ex experienced it big time. Me they just talked to. So it depends on who you are.

Mub

Tags
liveaboard, seattle