Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-01-2012, 15:01   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Liveaboard During Hurricane Season

Hi all.

Future plans/dreams go something like this. Semi-retiring. Cruising the Caribbean Dec - May; Living Aboard at a marina in SE US (FL, GA, SC) Jun - Nov. I can work from this locale 6 mos / year as long as there's an airport somewhere close...

My question is this: can one "park" and live in the SE US during hurricane season and still get the boat insured? Does the boat have to be stored "on the hard", or is a plan to haul out adequate?

Unfortunately, the plan/dream is not close enough that I have purchased the boat nor spoken to an insurance company about this -- so I'm seeking wisdom / advice / experience here.

Thanks,

DH

Old 22-01-2012, 15:17   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Liveaboard during Hurriane Season?

dochueb - we had a slip in miami for several years at rickenbacker marina - the ONLY miami marina that can claim they are a bit of a hurricane hole - the rest are not -
we got insurance and did not have an issue

our insurance was with bill hodgens of yachtinsure.com and he is a heck of nice guy and will work with you

just our opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the hook portobelo panama

Old 22-01-2012, 16:00   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochueb View Post
Hi all.

Future plans/dreams go something like this. Semi-retiring. Cruising the Caribbean Dec - May; Living Aboard at a marina in SE US (FL, GA, SC) Jun - Nov. I can work from this locale 6 mos / year as long as there's an airport somewhere close...

My question is this: can one "park" and live in the SE US during hurricane season and still get the boat insured? Does the boat have to be stored "on the hard", or is a plan to haul out adequate?

Unfortunately, the plan/dream is not close enough that I have purchased the boat nor spoken to an insurance company about this -- so I'm seeking wisdom / advice / experience here.

Thanks,

DH

I'm in a marina and had no trouble getting insurance. The deductible doubles during a named storm.
Old 22-01-2012, 16:58   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have no problem in Louisiana, and we are moored behind our home! You can get insurance in any marina around Lake Ponchatrain. Again as said above you have a double deductable during a named storm(as they all are now LOL) but you can get it !! Come on down the bayou LOl Bob and Connie
Old 28-01-2012, 17:04   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Corinthian 41 Tri #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
We have no problem in Louisiana,
Same in NW Florida, Panhandle, though your deduction is lower if you participate in a Marina Haul Out program, however they are rather costly in themselves.

Pat
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 17:09   #6

Tons of people do exactly what you describe, but I would put in the caveat that you want to be in a marina that is pretty safe to begin with, or near an area you can get to quickly in the case of a storm. It is also very worthwhile to arrange to have someone you trust who can quickly secure your boat in the case you are away on one of your business trips. Marinas are often overwhelmed at the last minute with preparations and I wouldn't always count on them to be able to take care of your boat. When you do fly away it would be good practice to leave the boat almost ready for a hurricane with doubled lines, maybe have the sails off, canvas down, and most of the junk off the deck and the dock.
Old 28-01-2012, 17:17   #7

Boat: Irwin 40

Some insurance companies require a written hurricane plan, naming a person to help in case you are not around as well. Writing a good plan can save you a few bucks. Also read the fine print and make sure you are covered for named storms and wind damage. Like the others have said picking a good marina will help too. Check there history of storm damage, the space between boats in the slips and the hight of the pilings above mean HW. The insurance company can take all these things into consideration. Now start looking for that boat!
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 10:17   #8
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Re: Liveaboard During Hurricane Season

Quote:
If the boat is less than 10 years old and you have 3 or more years experience owning or operating a similar sized vessel, I'm positive that I could get you insurance in the Southeast. But if the boat is older, or if you don't have much boating experience, it gets a little trickier (not impossible, just fewer options available). Some companies will want you to haul out, others will be happy as long you're not an absenteee owner (no leaving the boat at the dock in the Keys and flying to Maine for the summer!)
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:32   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Corinthian 41 Tri #12

One thing that seems to help with insurance, regardless of the age of your boat, is membership in well recognized marine educational programs such as the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Power Squadron, etc... with some significant advance in course work and level of competence by testing and performance. If you have not done such I would recommend this.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:47   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
If the boat is less than 10 years old and you have 3 or more years experience owning or operating a similar sized vessel, I'm positive that I could get you insurance in the Southeast.............
I found this to be true. I have 50 years of sailing experience and forty years liveaboard cruising, but my boat is 39 years old and the yearly premium for Florida coverage is eight percent the value of my boat. My insurance company dropped me after the 2004 season when I anchored out in Florida during two hurricanes with zero damage. Since then I've carried liability only and pocketed what has accumulated to two thirds the value of my boat. I'm all for managing risk and I would value an effective policy, but if you don't fit the statistical profile you might be on your own.
Old 02-02-2012, 19:57   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The back waterways in lauderdale seem pretty protected for water surge anyway.... Insurance was not an issue wsith the two boats I had in E. Florida. Bottom line is if the Cat 5 is coming YOU"RE going to want to haul.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:11   #12

Boat: Tartan 33
With modern forecasting, one can tell roughly where a hurricane is going a few days out. If you don't have to be here, why stay? Casting off and heading north, or south in the ICW and getting out of the major wind field would seem more prudent than staying he to get your butt kicked.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:40   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
With modern forecasting, one can tell roughly where a hurricane is going a few days out. If you don't have to be here, why stay? Casting off and heading north, or south in the ICW and getting out of the major wind field would seem more prudent than staying he to get your butt kicked.
This is a good thought, but not my choice in managing the risk. Despite the advances in hurricane predictions, the tracks so often move obliquely to the coast and slight variations give hundreds of miles variance over a three day window. I've elected to make my efforts to find a safe location anytime one can reach me within three days. I would include your strategy if my destination escaping the storm was also an excellent hurricane hole and not just a plan to move off the predicted track.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I'd never try to outsmart a hurricane by running away. First of all, the wind almost always dies off before the storm arrives, so you'll be motoring--better have a reliable one. Secondly, the forecasts are much better now, but still uncertain enough to get you in big trouble. Based on the NHC forecasts, the Moorings thought Hurricane Ivan was going to hit their Grenadines base, so they took all their boats to the southern bays of Grenada. Guess where Ivan decided to head, right at the last minute? 150 knots right over top of them.

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: