Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 17:50   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Liveaboard don't ask don't tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I checked one marina here and the dock master said you can stay aboard five days but If I catch you on board three in a row then your a live aboard. ?. Where's the thinking there? The first thing I thought was because I grew up in the area was, I can do laundry once a week at my brothers and break the five in a row thing. And go to my mom's to take her to dinner the other night and problem solved. Unless they do not give you a key to showers or something but that was included in the dock fees. electric was you had to get your own meter. Just get up early and leave (before 6AM) and come in (past 7PM) at night and your in.
P.S. Can they really bust your chops if your caught and say you were on vacation? It seems to me there is some gray area there. They cannot keep you from your boat.

Your willing to go through all of that? You must be young.
Yes, read the fine print, I feel sure they can boot you out for pretty much any reason at all, and likely with little notice.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:35   #47

How about working a graveyard shift? Wear earplugs and sleep during the day. Hard to make a case for sleeping aboard if you're never around at night, perhaps. If you're only there at night during days off, you'd fall within the allowable overnight limits, yes?
SailingSolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:57   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingSolus View Post
How about working a graveyard shift? Wear earplugs and sleep during the day. Hard to make a case for sleeping aboard if you're never around at night, perhaps. If you're only there at night during days off, you'd fall within the allowable overnight limits, yes?
How about not being a deadbeat unneighborly ******* that give liveaboards a bad name as fringe members of society that don't adhere to rules and is one breakdown away from being a floating wreck?
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:05   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
How about not being a deadbeat unneighborly ******* that give liveaboards a bad name as fringe members of society that don't adhere to rules and is one breakdown away from being a floating wreck?
Um. Who said anything about floating wrecks? Or being un-neighborly? Or being a deadbeat? What are you even on about?

The topic is "Liveaboard don't ask don't tell". That was my suggestion. Seems to me that you are hurting nobody by spending time in a horizontal position with your eyes closed while the sun is up. When I was younger, I worked a night job for a while. Put myself most of the way through college on it. Lots of people do. Never thought of myself as "fringe" or "un-neighborly" or a "deadbeat" or whatever other awful things you're trying to imply about people.

Wow. Impressively hateful and judgmental response to my very first post on Cruisersforum.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:14   #50

If a marina has a policy against liveaboards, trying to be coy about technicalities is what I consider to be unneighborly and fringe like behavior. You can preface a comment with how much tough times you've been through or your experience as a good person, I can counter with personal experience of bums living on boats that don't move and ruin a marina and give boaters a bad name.

Don't like the marina's policy? Don't go there. Go there? Obey the rules.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:23   #51

Quote:
If a marina has a policy against liveaboards, trying to be coy about technicalities is what I consider to be unneighborly and fringe like behavior. You can preface a comment with how much tough times you've been through or your experience as a good person, I can counter with personal experience of bums living on boats that don't move and ruin a marina and give boaters a bad name.

As I said, be hateful if you wish. I've said nothing about any "hard times", or even about being a good person. I simply don't know where you're getting any of this. I've never even lived aboard, at least not longer than on passage. I was simply responding to the OP. You are making some pretty wild assumptions, and projecting your personal baggage onto others.

Good luck, man. I hope you get it together some day.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:30   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard don't ask don't tell

Quote:

Seen plenty of POS boats owned/abandoned by Mud Dwellers.. cuts both ways.. a tosspots a tosspot regardless of how/where he lives.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:22   #53

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Seen plenty of POS boats owned/abandoned by Mud Dwellers.. cuts both ways.. a tosspots a tosspot regardless of how/where he lives.
that's the long and short of it, for sure. a person that pays his slip fee, maintains a well kept boat, and bothers no one but, happens to be living aboard under the table (only because the rules don't allow for live aboards) is certainly no worse for his neighbors or marina than the legit non-live aboard in the powerboat that has wild loud drunken parties all hours of the day and night. nor, is he worse than the non-live aboard who trashes up the dock or has a trashy boat.

looks like a little prejudice is showing it's ugly head.

as far as following the rules. i don't care how saintly you are, there is no person that doesn't break or bend some rules on a fairly daily basis. if you try to claim you don't, you are lying. that being the case, it's a bit hypocritical to get on your high horse because someone bends the rules a bit...unless that person is actually doing something actively harmful.

plus, you aren't a deadbeat if you pay your slip fees. a deadbeat is someone to takes goods or service without rendering payment.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:33   #54
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
...it's a bit hypocritical to get on your high horse because someone bends the rules a bit...
Bullsh*t. Sneakaboards ain't special. If I have to jump through particular hoops to live aboard my boat in a given marina, so do you.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:55   #55

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Bullsh*t. Sneakaboards ain't special. If I have to jump through particular hoops to live aboard my boat in a given marina, so do you.
ok. note what i said before you reply. you say 'if [you] have to jump through hoops to live aboard". that implies you are allowed to live aboard; you just have to do certain things. i am not implying that it's ok to 'sneakaboard' to avoid live aboard fees or that kind of thing. that would be being a deadbeat. notice i said, "only because the marina won't allow live aboard"....as in you are not allowed to live aboard there. the point being, at least around here, it's becoming very difficult to find marinas that allow live aboards. more and more it's not allowed at all. at my marina, the new ownership grandfathered in the two people who were living aboard when they took over and banned any other live aboards. i am hoping, when the time comes for me to move aboard full time, they will let me squeeze into the grandfather group (i was here but not full time live aboard when they took over) because i have been a very good tenant.

so, what's a decent live aboard supposed to do? not everyone can just cut their lines and sail to another state to find live aboard marinas. so, can you really blame someone for paying their slip fees like any normal slip renter and then living aboard on the down low?
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:19   #56

We have lived in several marinas where Don't Ask/Don't Tell is pretty much their official liveaboard policy.

At one place (i found out later) it was because the absentee owner did not want liveaboards, but the dockmaster did. At another, the dockmaster pretty much told me it was because he wanted to be able to use the "no liveaboards" rule as an excuse to kick people out. Neither of these marinas charged a liveaboard fee.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:40   #57

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

I am lucky - liveaboard is cool here, just some extra fees. Not sure what I would do if liveaboard option was not available.

I think I would be very uncomfortable doing anything 'sneakaboard' - it would just feel very awkward as much as being dishonest. I can understand someone might need to do it as a short-term measure, but anything longer-term would get weird pretty quick I imagine.

There could, in worse case scenarios, also be some serious insurance issues if something unfortunate happened - e.g., fire.
tonysail1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard