Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31   #1

Liveaboard Dogs

Is a sailboat good for living aboard with dogs? It seems like a powerboat/convertable with the back deck area would be better for them to get out a bit and easy to rinse down if they do their business on the deck,...Would a 42' or so sailboat have room for them to this also,...and would it be easy to rinse down,...We have a Lab, Beagle, and Chihuahua,...we would much rather a sailboat
Capandmrswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41   #2

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28
Re: Liveaboard Dogs

Business keeps you and your dingy occupied taking the dog to shore. I don't think my Boxer would do his business on the boat short of an emergency.

eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:49   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Some dogs take to boats, some don't. Know a dog on a cat that goes to the tramp to do his business. Know another dog that refuses to go on the boat, even on a 30 hour trip. They've tried all the "cures", including astroturf with dog pee already on it. Nothing worked.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Three dogs on board! I'm hard pressed to justify one, but he's small and doen't take up much space.

He also barks at other boats in the fog as a working dog breed and as a boat dog.

I also wouldn't tolerate a dog that required rowing to shore. There's a fine space at the aft rail for him to deposit his product.
Rats, iquanas or other boarders....

'let me at them!
Our dog does well on the sailboat, but we don't expect him to board or debark without assistance. Three would not seem reasonable for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11   #5

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

In another thread, it was mentioned that a short piece of artificial turf will suffice. They can get the scent they need from it, and it sprays off easily.

Also it was mentioned that the best life jacket is the top-handle type, with full underneath strapping ...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17   #6

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

The top-handle of the dog-jacket is good because it can assist with the hoisting of your dog into the dink, etc. Just look up 'dog life jacket' on google.

I take it your dog loves the water? Mine does, but he's not gone to sea yet.
Old 12-12-2012, 14:41   #7

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
The furry set love sailboats!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121212_163857.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	51094   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121212_164112.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	51095  

Old 12-12-2012, 15:35   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Ask your dog!

If you watch your animal, you will know if it enjoys sailing (living aboard) or not.

I have seen both very happy and very unhappy cruising dogs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:02   #9

Boat: Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab Carver 4207 Aft Cabin

I have a Labrador that is my security officer, he does a great job and loves living on a boat. We are mostly at the dock--and when underway we are never out more that 12 hours (big powerboat) so I never worried about him having to "hold it".

I actually think he prefers the boat to living in a house......one thing is to consider living in a pet friendly marina with lots of open spaces. Luckily I have that!

Good luck! Boating is much more fun with a four leg friend along!
OTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:08   #10

Boat: Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab Carver 4207 Aft Cabin

Here is a picture of my best buddy standing Port Watch!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1684.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	51099  
OTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 13:33   #11

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

My '5th daughter' really prefers a sail boat over the motor yacht, as she is an old lady and prefers the peace and quiet. She is an Aussie, and though we are not currently liveaboards I think she would do just fine if we had a little bigger boat, our comfort....not hers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zoestress.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	51142  
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 18:26   #12

Boat: 1982 S2 8.0b 26'

My dog does alright. She won't go on the boat, only on dirt, so I have to make sure she gets to shore at least once a day. I don't mind; exercise isn't bad. I'm thinking I'm going to get a litter box and put some dirt in it, and see if I can't get her trained to use that. Still, she loves taking over the longest bench in the salon right when I'm trying to lay down and watch a movie, rolling all over the V-berth, and making sure that she gets fur on and in absolutely everything.
Dameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 03:07   #13

Boat: 1977 Columbia 9.6 32 '
My dog, Captain Jack, uses the astroturf on the foredeck. He prefers real grass, but does go out and use the turf for either business. His favorite boat is the dinghy.... Why do they like to lay right in the middle of a project? I guess two noses are better than one.
kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 04:19   #14
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capandmrswood View Post
Is a sailboat good for living aboard with dogs? It seems like a powerboat/convertable with the back deck area would be better for them to get out a bit and easy to rinse down if they do their business on the deck,...Would a 42' or so sailboat have room for them to this also,...and would it be easy to rinse down,...We have a Lab, Beagle, and Chihuahua,...we would much rather a sailboat
We have a 40', and the dogs do just fine... a St Bernard X, and Lab X and a Whippet X. They find their space and stay out of yours. Sometimes. Sometimes we have to boot them off our seats, but generally they handle boat living well.

And mine poop on the bloddy foredeck. We BUILT a poop deck (scuse the pun) for them at the back (well, it was a dive platform for us really), but they still bloddy well insist on pooping as far away from us as they can. And usually on the sheets. Or if it's runny, they like to get it in the crack between the spinnaker pole and the deck.

Haven't done much more than long weekends with them so far though, and when we set off for real in the Spring we plan on leaving the biggest dog, the St Bernard X, with our Dive Boat Captain just because she is old, arthritic and tired and doesn't perticularly enjoy bouncing around any more. That's the part that's shadowing my excitement at going.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 04:59   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
.............. but they still bloddy well insist on pooping as far away from us as they can. And usually on the sheets. Or if it's runny, they like to get it in the crack between the spinnaker pole and the deck ..............................
Is this why we don't see you on the "collecting rainwater from the deck" thread?

Tags
dogs, liveaboard