Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2013, 10:27   #61

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran
We would not go any where without our girls. It only took 2 days to train them to do their business. I used a large piece of AstroTurf up on the foredeck with only 1 accident inside the vessel. It took a lot of following them on deck to make sure. The 3rd day I folded the AstroTurf smaller and moved it to the port stern and they picked right up on it. We have a wash down there for easy cleanup. They still look forward to trips ashore for all of the new smells.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-521714990.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	59744   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-264151819.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	59745  

Name:	image-2481254025.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	59746   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-849540246.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	59747  

rjdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 19:15   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shelly View Post
have 2 female schipps on board beneteau 411, matt trained on forward deck, merely wash mat, rug overboard, works great.
Welcome to CF, Captain Shelly!!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 19:29   #63

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdives View Post
We would not go any where without our girls. It only took 2 days to train them to do their business. I used a large piece of AstroTurf up on the foredeck with only 1 accident inside the vessel. It took a lot of following them on deck to make sure. The 3rd day I folded the AstroTurf smaller and moved it to the port stern and they picked right up on it. We have a wash down there for easy cleanup. They still look forward to trips ashore for all of the new smells.
Totally agree, Chloe is the best sea dog!
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 06:10   #64
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Liveaboard Dogs

I tried to train Balrog to use astroturf on the front deck. I planted a dead tree on it to help him get the hint. I pee'd on it in front of him to give him the hint but he just looked at me like I was stupid.
Later he trained himself to do it on the mesh trampoline deck and it falls straight through into the sea. I guess I am stupid...
Occasionally some bits are too big to fall through the netting so we jump on the trampoline a few times and it falls through.

Balrog loves the sailing life. He doesn;t get seasick often, sits at the bow and stares into the the distant as we approach land. Sits and watches the moon and stars every night, loves to swim as soon as the anchor is dropped and sits on the back step till he is dry so he doesn't splash any water on the decks or hatches.
He also loves to pick up rubbish while he's swimming and leave it on the back step for us to dispose of
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 15:20   #65
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I tried to train Balrog to use astroturf on the front deck. I planted a dead tree on it to help him get the hint. I pee'd on it in front of him to give him the hint but he just looked at me like I was stupid.
Later he trained himself to do it on the mesh trampoline deck and it falls straight through into the sea. I guess I am stupid...
Occasionally some bits are too big to fall through the netting so we jump on the trampoline a few times and it falls through.
You're gross. I love it.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 15:37   #66

[QUOTE=bottomend;1110424 trusts me so much i can feed her practically anything i eat including fish and peanuts/grapes.[/QUOTE]

Aren't grapes/raisins poisonous to dogs? Google that p for pooches sake before too many grapes....

According to the ASPCA, around 1989 a disturbing trend began to emerge from the AnTox database used by its Animal Poison Control Center: Nearly all the dogs reported to have eaten grapes or raisins developed acute renal (kidney) failure. These cases were noted all across the USA, with the amount eaten varying widely, from over a pound of grapes to as little as a single serving of raisins.
The database showed that dogs who ate the grapes and raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. Most of the time, partially digested grapes and raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating (anorexia), and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic, and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days — sometimes even weeks.

When medical care was sought, blood chemistry panels showed consistent patterns. Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels) was frequently present, as well as elevated levels of blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous (substances that reflect kidney function). These chemistries began to increase anywhere from 24 hours to several days after the dogs ate the fruit. As the kidney damage developed, the dogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. In some cases, dogs who received timely veterinary care still had to be euthanized.

Read more at snopes.com: Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 21:55   #67

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Our boat does not go out without Peanut.

Name:	IMAG0546.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	59842
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 22:40   #68
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Live aboard dogs, eh? How about the Navy type?
Attached Images

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 03:36   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post

Balrog loves the sailing life. He doesn;t get seasick often, sits at the bow and stares into the the distant as we approach land. Sits and watches the moon and stars every night, loves to swim as soon as the anchor is dropped and sits on the back step till he is dry so he doesn't splash any water on the decks or hatches.
He also loves to pick up rubbish while he's swimming and leave it on the back step for us to dispose of
Is it difficult to clean the ttrampoline??
Doug
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 08:37   #70
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

no Doug, it self cleans with some sun/rain/sea
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 09:30   #71

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

I love it that you all take your dogs sailing. Do dogs get sea sick as well?
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 10:10   #72

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
I love it that you all take your dogs sailing. Do dogs get sea sick as well?
Some do yes but not all. Some dogs get car sick too. Like people it depends on the individual pup.

Most never know my girl is present unless you see the tumbleweeds of Labrador hair. I wouldn't have it any other way personally but can understand the other side too. For me though if my dog isn't welcome I don't go.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:18   #73

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Tumbleweeds of hair? Try laundry baskets full, all from the 20 lb sheltie mix. But if you can't take Peanut's presence, then go buy your own boat and we'll wave when we pass you on the high seas. If we ever had to deploy the life raft and there was only room for three creatures, my wife and I would have to flip a coin to see which one of us would ride with Peanut.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:39   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
If we ever had to deploy the life raft and there was only room for three creatures, my wife and I would have to flip a coin to see which one of us would ride with Peanut.
Wins this Thread
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 17:02   #75

Boat: Elan 434

We have a know it all Labradoodle, no hair loss, no smell and loves the boat.

Unfortunately he also wont go on the boat or the dock , it has to be grass but he lets you know. He sits on the cockpit floor if its rough and barks at the dolphins when they get too close.
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, liveaboard