Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2012, 01:23   #46

Boat: 1977 Columbia 9.6 32 '
I wonder if you have tried a thundershirt for Sugarbee? I have one for Jack. I put it on if I am going to leave him alone on the boat. It seems to help with the anxiety. It is like a tight shirt that hugs him. It does not work on every dog.
kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 01:45   #47

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: Liveaboard Dogs

Sorry, but my opinion dogs and boats don't go!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 03:42   #48

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

From the 32 second mark, dog and fish in action....

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 04:12   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsi View Post
I wonder if you have tried a thundershirt for Sugarbee? I have one for Jack. I put it on if I am going to leave him alone on the boat. It seems to help with the anxiety. It is like a tight shirt that hugs him. It does not work on every dog.
We use it successfully with our Pug, "Happy". However because Pugs have a double layer of hair we cannot leave it on him unattended as he becomes over heated. Very useful during thunderstorms, calms him.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 05:04   #50

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
We dress then in clothing, to keep them warm if it turns cold, and because we are childless and need something to put doll cloths on. Lol

They are pretty cute in t-shirts. SB has one that says, bitches dig me. He also has a cap to keep the sun out of his eyes. That is adorable.

Another post above with no dogs allowed on board? Cut It Out!

Years ago, I rented a storefront to put in a jewelry store, gun store, sporting goofs, tools, musicial instruments, cassettes and CDs. Called a pawn shop. Did that gig 11 years. Loads of fun. I was there about a week, when the landlord walked through, saw my Great Dane and said he had to go. I told him we would both be out in a month. He said, you're serious, if the dog goes, you go? I said yes! He said, keep the dog. I then told him, the dog was cleaner than me, it was me he needed to worry about. He laughed.

My Dane, named Frisco, would hop in the minivan and we drove to a river park. At the far end, I would open the side door, and Frisco would jump out and start running, as I drove along beside him. The grass between the road and the river was about a 200 feet wide, some trees, mostly mowed grass. At the highway, a mile away, I would come to a stop, and Frisco would jump back in. Did that every morning before the shop opened, for many years. Great friend. He was a rescue. House rescue. Some people had him with a house for sale, and in a fenced yard, he was like an animal guarding the gates of Hell. A pit bull would pee itself if he saw that dog in a fenced yard. His barks, landed on your chest as physical blows you could feel! They gave me the dog, and the house sold. We did not have a fence, lived in the country, so he never ever acted that way again. Very friendly.
Old 19-12-2012, 05:45   #51

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capandmrswood View Post
Is a sailboat good for living aboard with dogs? It seems like a powerboat/convertable with the back deck area would be better for them to get out a bit and easy to rinse down if they do their business on the deck,...Would a 42' or so sailboat have room for them to this also,...and would it be easy to rinse down,...We have a Lab, Beagle, and Chihuahua,...we would much rather a sailboat

Having lived much of my life on acreage, in the country, where my dogs could run and play... I feel that going cruising with dogs onboard is cruel. It is just too confining a space, forces them to "hold it" for too long, and since pets onboard are illegal in many countries, it really limits where you can cruise to.

Having said that, IF one does cruise with their dogs, it is, imo., their moral responsibility to keep them quiet! Everyone in an anchorage is in a "shared space", where sound travels much further than on land, and the "temporary neighborhood" has homes with totally sound transparent walls.

Nothing ruins an anchorage more than just one cruiser that brings in any form of noise. (loud music / screaming on deck, Jet skis, some wind generators, or barking dogs)... Many dogs feel compelled to bark at every dinghy that buzzes within 200'. This is not fair to others, who went cruising for peace and quiet.

Just things to consider...

I left my pets behind, and think it is the most considerate to others, and compassionate to the animal, choice. Falling in love with new owners or caretakers, as hard as it is, is easier on the dog than adapting to a confined space and an extremely restrictive new life. Its about what's best for them, not what fills "our" needs best.

m.
Old 19-12-2012, 08:06   #52

Boat: CT54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
H
I left my pets behind, and think it is the most considerate to others, and compassionate to the animal, choice. Falling in love with new owners or caretakers, as hard as it is, is easier on the dog than adapting to a confined space and an extremely restrictive new life. Its about what's best for them, not what fills "our" needs best.

m.
I think you are way off base on this. To state that I am inconsiderate to others because I choose to bring my dog is ridiculous. My dogs are not allowed to be a nuisance and we always pick up after our dogs. I do realize that others are not so considerate but I won't wrap all boats into the "derelict" category and I won't judge all people with dogs aboard as being inconsiderate. As far as what is best for them I find that statement also ridiculous. My dogs live a great life with there family. They are very happy and go for long walks everyday on the beach. When we lived in a house the dogs stayed in the backyard all day waiting for us to come home from work but on a boat they are a much larger part of our lives. They go everywhere with us and to a dog that is a great thing.
I really think you are just trying to justify your decision of leaving your dog at home (or getting rid of your dog) by making everyone else out as being selfish. I think you should deal with your decisions without putting others down for there decisions.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 08:19   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sure, all dogs are not the same. Many leave their product on the deck and don't suffer from periods away. Some howl along with the crew in isolated anchorages far away from any other boats. Some have been bred as working dogs on boats for hundreds of years and are very well adapted. Some run with bicycling cruisers or run on an island beach. Some, as with Mark's concern, have not adapted to cruising and don't thrive in the space on board a boat. Some cruiser's might not care for the needs of their pets, but I hope that's rare.
Old 19-12-2012, 08:23   #54

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Since everyone else is doing it, why don't I put up a picture of my sea-faring pooch?

Here's the real sailor in the family (Hutch):

Our Canis Lupus Familiaris | Musings
Old 19-12-2012, 09:51   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post

I think you are way off base on this. To state that I am inconsiderate to others because I choose to bring my dog is ridiculous. My dogs are not allowed to be a nuisance and we always pick up after our dogs. I do realize that others are not so considerate but I won't wrap all boats into the "derelict" category and I won't judge all people with dogs aboard as being inconsiderate. As far as what is best for them I find that statement also ridiculous. My dogs live a great life with there family. They are very happy and go for long walks everyday on the beach. When we lived in a house the dogs stayed in the backyard all day waiting for us to come home from work but on a boat they are a much larger part of our lives. They go everywhere with us and to a dog that is a great thing.
I really think you are just trying to justify your decision of leaving your dog at home (or getting rid of your dog) by making everyone else out as being selfish. I think you should deal with your decisions without putting others down for there decisions.

I read Mark's post again and he said "Many dogs.. He didn't say All. Everyone has the right to an opinion. I have seen many dogs that can handle boating, others get bored stuck on a boat, freak out or get sea sick (awful!!). Some train to a pad but having a dog 'hold it' for many hours is unhealthy as well as mean. We also chose to leave our (& would do so again) Border collie-Australian Shepard home with the neighbor he knew well so he can still run and live a normal life. Life on a boat would not suit him. Saying that does not mean I am putting anyone else down-just a difference of opinion.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 06:35   #56

It's good to see that so many liveaboards do so with dogs. I was thinking I might need to rethink pet choices with the change in lifestyle.
Eeyore0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 07:12   #57

My plans to live aboard are still a long way off. By the time I'm ready, I'll probably also be looking for a new dog as my current dog won't likely be around anymore. I'll be sure to keep their temperament in mind when dog shopping.
Eeyore0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 19:28   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore0072 View Post
.................. I'll be sure to keep their temperament in mind when dog shopping.
...and I'd recommend a young dog without an established routine. One young enough to be easily tranined to leave all his product on the deck. This is not a harsh traning regimen for a puppy!
Old 22-04-2013, 20:13   #59

I understand the want to bring a pet with you cruising. I have two dogs, and while I'm not currently cruising I'll choose to cruise without them. One (My English Bulldog) will likely not be around in a few years, and the other just isn't suited to boating (Bloodhound). I hate the idea that I might have to re-home one of my dogs, but I know this dog wouldn't adapt. Larger dogs would be difficult anyways as getting them on and off a skiff, up and down the companionway etc... would be a nightmare. Little dogs might adapt and fit in better, but in my experience the smaller the dog the more it barks. NOBODY likes a high pitched barking miniature fur ball. Be wise leave your stupid little long haired rat dog that never shuts up back at home. I can't stand that type of dog owner on land, and if I find you in paradise I'm gonna let you know how I feel! Don't ruin it for everyone! Now, again if you have a well behaved dog and you've found a way to work out all the issues and your dog doesnt intrude on others, then there is no issue. I guess what I'm trying to say is BE CONSIDERATE, take a few steps back and make sure you're doing the right thing, as many dogs are aren't suited to the cruising lifestyle.
Formorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 05:08   #60

Boat: BENETEAU/oceanis 411

have 2 female schipps on board beneteau 411, matt trained on forward deck, merely wash mat, rug overboard, works great.
Captain Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, liveaboard