Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 23:01   #31

Boat: Franz Maas 37
Re: Liveaboard Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Next time you hear geese overhead, do me a favor, and look up.
I merely expressed an opinion and as I said, I love dogs. Surely this thread is not just open to people who agree with you. Your sentiment is noted and, is taken in the manner in which it was expressed.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:02   #32

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I merely expressed an opinion and as I said, I love dogs. Surely this thread is not just open to people who agree with you. Your sentiment is noted and, is taken in the manner in which it was expressed.
We have two Maltese fur balls. One is approaching his six month birthday. A puppy so young, seems to always be discovering new ways for us to use paper towels and mops. Had forgotten how much work training a small puppy was.

Most all they can throw at us, can be cleaned up, or in worst case sanarieo be replaced.

The only thing I cannot replace is loneliness, and my dogs have that covered.

I am in my whirlpool tub, and Sugar Bee just walked on to my chest to see if I had any treats for him. I was out, but a back rub was a good second choice for him. Now he is asleep beside the tub, waiting for me to go to bed. No replacement for a perfect companion.
Old 18-12-2012, 02:13   #33

Boat: 1977 Columbia 9.6 32 '
Captain Jack is half Maltese and half Bichon. I do like this mix. He is the best companion. He is a great watch dog, cuddler, and, happiness bringer.

It is 5am here and he just got up and went out, up the stairs to the cockpit and then to the bow, did his business on his mat and then came back and cuddled in bed. That was all by himself. Just the right size.
kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 02:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post

Looks like I may need my whiskers trimmed, but I am definitely the cutest on my watch.

Cap'n Jack
Being a sea Captain, Jack goes for the long whiskers. He tried the shorter ones, but looked too prissy. Argggh matie.
Old 18-12-2012, 02:20   #35

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

Quote:
I am in my whirlpool tub, and Sugar Bee just walked on to my chest to see if I had any treats for him. I was out, but a back rub was a good second choice for him. Now he is asleep beside the tub, waiting for me to go to bed. No replacement for a perfect companion.
You've got a whirlpool tub on the boat! Wow!
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 02:25   #36

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

http://www.gilana.org/hilights/jack/jack.htm
Old 18-12-2012, 04:29   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Oh, you good dog, Jack!
Old 18-12-2012, 05:39   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srah 1953 View Post

You've got a whirlpool tub on the boat! Wow!
I live, breathe, sleep, dine, bathe, and sometimes work, at work. Rarely go home. 60 miles round trip. Fuel prices too high, can't afford sailboats and going home.

I have pondered how I could turn the cockpit into a whirlpool, but someone designed the engine control knobs there. Lol
Old 18-12-2012, 09:11   #39

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

My dog is the most finicky pooper I have ever known. Literally, finding the perfect spot takes ten minutes or more. To decide, he must prance back and forth, sniffing here and there while nosing his disdain for every convenient place, finally rounding-up and backtracking to the starting position. This procedure is then repeated. Sometimes he will go into a three-and-a-half leg position just to tease me, and then resume the hunt. Some people do their best reading on the head. As for me - I do my best reading while my dog's on the head ...
Old 18-12-2012, 09:20   #40

Quote:
I have pondered how I could turn the cockpit into a whirlpool, but someone designed the engine control knobs there. Lol

I thought of just getting a blow up kiddie pool - I could add hot water and sit watching a sunset. Sounds like fun since I am currently in an area where water is cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
My innate belief in good health and hygiene would prevent me from having any onboard mammal..

(That should make me lots of friends!)

I understand your point so count me as a friend. It's something some can handle and some cant. I can't handle hair-and I like to travel at a moments notice, nor do I want to get in the dingy often to take pets ashore so am not a good pet parent. I do have friends with dogs that allow me to enjoy them (treats & toys) without the responsibility.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 10:11   #41

Boat: CT54

Some people just are not cut out to have pets just as some people are not cut out to have children. I always appreciate someone that recognizes when they are just not cut out for either. Too many people have pets that should not and too many people have children when they should not and to be upset with someone that makes a decision they are not cut out for it just does not make sense to me.

I keep telling myself that I should not have dogs until we are back in a house but in the end I am hopeless. We have two dogs aboard....a mini poodle and a papillon. Sometimes it is a lot of work but in the end they add so much joy that I would not have it any other way.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 17:11   #42

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsi View Post
It is 5am here and he just got up and went out, up the stairs to the cockpit and then to the bow, did his business on his mat and then came back and cuddled in bed. That was all by himself.

Just the right size.
The dog right? The dog was the right size...? Dear God, please tell us it was the dog!
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 18:01   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsi View Post
Captain Jack is half Maltese and half Bichon. I do like this mix. He is the best companion. He is a great watch dog, cuddler, and, happiness bringer.

It is 5am here and he just got up and went out, up the stairs to the cockpit and then to the bow, did his business on his mat and then came back and cuddled in bed. That was all by himself. Just the right size.
i too love these breeds for boat pets, had a lab but very high strung and hair lefyt everywhere, cant say enough praise for the original sailor dogs of the med. the bichon and maltese. even trained mine to retrieve in water, and only barks when necessary{that was the real challenge}, still teaching her "leave it" in regards to throwaway hotdogs etc. she finds, i just think its sooo neat she dont shed fur no matter how lazy i get about shaving her regularly. plus her happy smile makes me feel great on a stormy cold day.plus she hears car doors closing on shore and gives that little growl. all the warning i need.mine just loves to lick me feet perhaps because i am always cleaning her paws of dirt.my only fear is that a shark might nail her on her frequent swims.sh trusts me so much i can feed her practically anything i eat including fish and peanuts/grapes. these breeds really are the greatest boat pets and will dump on a newspaper size space that is easily tossed overboard.mine will easily wait 12 hrs or more to go to shore sometimes even 36hrs which really surprised me.i am even contemplating getting her a companion and hoping the next is as easy to train as the first.these little white polar bears are fearless pets and smart as electronic burglar alarms for sure.most stores/restuarants allow them inside which is also a bonus. cheers
bottomend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 00:07   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomend View Post
i too love these breeds for boat pets, had a lab but very high strung and hair lefyt everywhere, cant say enough praise for the original sailor dogs of the med. the bichon and maltese. even trained mine to retrieve in water, and only barks when necessary{that was the real challenge}, still teaching her "leave it" in regards to throwaway hotdogs etc. she finds, i just think its sooo neat she dont shed fur no matter how lazy i get about shaving her regularly. plus her happy smile makes me feel great on a stormy cold day.plus she hears car doors closing on shore and gives that little growl. all the warning i need.mine just loves to lick me feet perhaps because i am always cleaning her paws of dirt.my only fear is that a shark might nail her on her frequent swims.sh trusts me so much i can feed her practically anything i eat including fish and peanuts/grapes. these breeds really are the greatest boat pets and will dump on a newspaper size space that is easily tossed overboard.mine will easily wait 12 hrs or more to go to shore sometimes even 36hrs which really surprised me.i am even contemplating getting her a companion and hoping the next is as easy to train as the first.these little white polar bears are fearless pets and smart as electronic burglar alarms for sure.most stores/restuarants allow them inside which is also a bonus. cheers
I like the mini polarbear idea. They do look like a little one.

I purchased a flowbee to do their hair. Any dummy can give these dogs a 100 dollar haircut in two minutes. I cut them about 1" once a month in the winter. Every couple weeks when it's warmer. All the hair ends up in the vacuum. Very neat and clean. Brush them once a day a couple minutes and they always look like a show dog. Bath once a week if they need it or not, they are good to go.

I like having two, so one is not so dependant on humans. They still love me, but they relate best to another dog, so it makes their life fuller. If I had kids, one dog would be enough, as the kids would entertain the K9.

The Maltese Bishon are the dogs sometimes seen in a circus because they train so easy. The bishon is larger?

Wonderful animals. I have had Terriers , Pugs, Cockers, Labs, Dobermans, and Great Danes. Bread Danes for several years. Placed 72 of them. Wonderful dogs also. Most all breeds, you get back ten fold what you put in them. Love in, love in return.

I really think rescue is a valid tool. My Sugar Bee was a rescue. I placed an ad on CL asking to rescue a lap dog. 24 hours later, we took in Sugar Bee.

He needed cleaned up and loved. He is hyper sensitive so I wonder how much he still cryes inside from the juggling of homes. You try to reasure them, but once you have been dumped and the peddals are off the rose, trust comes slowly. We came to take care of us last February.

I would say the Maltese is my all time favorite breed. Introduced by fate, and they are my K9 of choice.

One video series called 101 said this breed does something called "Bursts of Joy" so much fun watching them run figure 8 circles around the house or yard.

The little one, Clipper Marine, is 6 months old. Got him at 12 weeks to keep Sugar Bee company. He was not a rescue. Tried to find another rescue Maltese, but hard to find a specific breed to rescue. Looked two months, and nothing fit, so we picked up a puppy from a good breeder. Clipper is a joy. So young.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121219_015915.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	51425

Name:	ForumRunner_20121219_015947.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	51426

Name:	ForumRunner_20121219_020046.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	51427

Name:	ForumRunner_20121219_020128.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	51428

Name:	ForumRunner_20121219_020219.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	51429
Old 19-12-2012, 01:12   #45

LOL. It was the dog that went out. I totally agree with you two about this breed. Easy to care for, no shedding. My Jack has won the hearts of many fine ladies and gents.

The matichon is larger than the maltese. Jack weighs in at 19 pounds. I agree with you two about this wonderful breed. Non shedding, so there is no fur everywhere. They have hair. Well not anymore than from me. I have bad allergies, so it was great that this breed does not bother me. I got Jack at a breeder. I had to make sure I was not allergic to him.

Sugarbee and Clipper are so cute.

Tags
dogs, liveaboard