Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2012, 16:52   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: Liveaboard Dating

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
Well, good. I haven't had a date in ten years, and it's been the best ten years of my adult life. I was worried they'd come out of the woodwork when I move aboard. LOL
Way too funny......Thanks
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 17:09   #32

Some of these responses are quite humorous, I must say.

Personally, I'm OK with the girls that the novelty will wear off for within ohhhh, a day or three. I'm at a point in my life where I either want a quick trip down "giggity-giggity" lane, or a wife, and nothing really in between. The standards for wife qualification are pretty high for me, and #1 on the list is that she needs to have an adventurous spirit and a strong desire to not live in the United States (I view sailing as more of a means to an end, rather than the end itself).
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Bought my last boat from a friend who spent ten years building her for cruising, then married a woman who wouldn't sail. She divorced him a year after he sold the boat to me.
I found my wife in boatbuilding school, all covered with wood chips. They are few and far between.
yeah, an oft heard story. .... and....Lucky You!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 21:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast

Well, good. I haven't had a date in ten years, and it's been the best ten years of my adult life. I was worried they'd come out of the woodwork when I move aboard. LOL

GT. Are you talking about girls or cockroaches?? May explain some things. You're looking in the wrong places. :whistling;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen
Some of these responses are quite humorous, (I view sailing as more of a means to an end, rather than the end itself).

That's because you haven't met the right boat. I fell in love with mine at first sight- or the first night I was rocked to sleep by waves. Almost 5 years later and I feel the same. I think my husband isn't sure if it came down to him or the boat...

BTW. Where is giggity-giggity lane? Couldn't find it on my GPS.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 23:05   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I've met all "types" when I lived aboard. I had one over for a spaghetti dinner and she stated "Oh my...this is like living in a trailer...isn't it"?
Later she smartly asked "Do you always cook spaghetti for the women you have over"?
I smartly answered..."Only the ones I don't like! All the others get steak and wine"!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 23:38   #36
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I've met all "types" when I lived aboard. I had one over for a spaghetti dinner and she stated "Oh my...this is like living in a trailer...isn't it"?
Later she smartly asked "Do you always cook spaghetti for the women you have over"?
I smartly answered..."Only the ones I don't like! All the others get steak and wine"!
Now that is funny ... now mopping up the coffee off the keyboard
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 23:43   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I met my husband here at Cruisers forum, well actually at a CF BBQ. He lived across the lake aboard a crealock 34, and I aboard a cape dory 30.
We were married on the bow of Rain Dog last November (sigh~so romantic~).
If a woman is what ya want then keep the faith, lots of great sailor girls out there.

Cheers,
Ocean Girl
Old 17-06-2012, 00:59   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

If you are stationary near a city, you shouldn't have a problem. If you are cruising from place to place it's different. Plenty of chances for hi/bye hook-ups, but finding a permanent mate is a difficult thing. Not around long enough for things to "develop".

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 02:44   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

I think the reaction to how the living on a boat thing is received depends very much on how it is presented.

"Every morning I wake up and know that instead of going to work I could simply sail over the horizon to a world full of palm trees and deserted beaches. The fact I could helps me go to work....but one day I intend to do just that! Doing so with great company would be ideal..........."

or

"I couldn't afford the rent under a bridge".

and simply accepting that you won't please everyone - but such is life.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 03:12   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the only difference i found in the dating life area was on docks in marina slips there are more weirdos in residence--inclusive of perverts and stalkers.
have fun and live safe.
Reading between the lines......does that mean I should stop peering into your porthole at 3am whilst wearing a bikini? or not .
Old 17-06-2012, 04:25   #41
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think the reaction to how the living on a boat thing is received depends very much on how it is presented.

"Every morning I wake up and know that instead of going to work I could simply sail over the horizon to a world full of palm trees and deserted beaches. The fact I could helps me go to work....but one day I intend to do just that! Doing so with great company would be ideal..........."

or

"I couldn't afford the rent under a bridge".

and simply accepting that you won't please everyone - but such is life.
Always the salesman eh
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 04:51   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Always the salesman eh
Lol!

But you do create your own reality and how you appear to others is useful - even if not of fundamental importance to you. Shallow works .

Oh, and just to say - am presently in negotiations on the Broker thing , if that comes to pass (50 / 50 at the moment) that will be interesting.......for all concerned ......and probably will generate a few "interesting" CF posts, if not threads ........"bluntness used for the sake of clarity" .
Old 17-06-2012, 05:09   #43

Boat: Skookum 53'

I met my future Wife aboard my Brother's charter boat working as a deck hand, I stole her away to my charter boat shortly afterwards, it took me 25 years to convince her to marry me. In the interim I only found one other lady with similar desires to sail about and commercial fish, but she didn't want anything to do with me. Patience and perseverance will pay off. First you have to know in your own mind what you are looking for in a Mate/Significant Other. Or if you are only out for jollies. I was only going to get married once.
Old 17-06-2012, 08:52   #44

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
If you are stationary near a city, you shouldn't have a problem. If you are cruising from place to place it's different. Plenty of chances for hi/bye hook-ups, but finding a permanent mate is a difficult thing. Not around long enough for things to "develop".
Aye! That'd be the life of a true sailor! A gal in every Port.
Old 17-06-2012, 09:35   #45

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
New lifestyle and a new girlfriend? Seems like a lot of new irons in the fire. Enjoy the sailing class. Don't be in a big hurry to compound and complicate your life. For a lifetime, a boat is your girlfriend. One girlfriend should keep you busy for awhile. Once things on the new boat become second nature then start looking out of the corner of your eye to see who is watching you.

Tags
liveaboard