Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2012, 07:43   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Liveaboard Dating

If you are living aboard at a city marina, then dating is really no different than if you were living in a home in that same city - other than you can take dates out sailing, which is an aid in finding compatible people I think.

If you are out cruising it's something else completely different because you are a transient. As such it can be hard to break into groups established groups of locals where you cruise, and if you do, they know you most likely won't be sticking around. Despite stories of camaraderie among cruisers, I find boats tend to isolate more than bring people together. As a female however, you will have demographics to your advantage, since there are far more cruising men than women. (assuming it's men you wish to date).

I've sometimes gone cruising with potential dates. My experience is that living in such close quarters and sharing everything without outside distractions drives the extremes. You can get to know each other well, quickly without competing interests, but the lack of any time away from each other can also present a challenge. If you are not from the same area, then there's the challenge of the logistics of what do do when the cruise is over.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 09:26   #17

I've been living "alternative lifestyles" (no, not like that) for a pretty decent chunk of my life. During the 11 months that I lived in a full size creeper van, the dating just didn't happen.

I've been divorced for 6 years now, and I do tend to find women that are off their rocker like I am for short durations. I like 'em a little crazy, so it works out. But I could see them saying that a boat is over the line.

Ultimately, I want to find somebody that has the travel bug and is willing to accompany me to the various places I like to visit. That's been the goal for the past three years, but now I want to start avoiding the giant aluminum birds as my transport mechanism. I realize life at sea isn't for everybody -- that was vehemently obvious when I was in the Navy.

Thanks everybody for letting me know there is still hope.
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 09:31   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

We have some good friends who met in a marina in Bellingham. They each had a boat on the same dock, married, took her boat to Mexico (We met them on the 2006 Baja Ha-Ha) and kept his in Bellingham. Last we heard they finally sold his boat but still commuter cruise to San Carlos, MX.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 09:33   #19

Boat: grampian 26

One major advantage of living aboard is she can't re arrange the furniture on a whim.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 09:59   #20

Boat: Jarkan 10.5
Hi Jassen, I don't think dating is a problem, as others have said its a bit of a chick magnet. You will find the most difficult thing to face is her discontent at those low points of cabin fever ( rain for a week) high seas and boredom . Tips, always keep a well stocked pantry with a useful assortment of cooking utensils , a selection of boardgames that she will win at. Ask her what can be improved onboard to make life more enjoyable , I also have a backpack filled with camping gear for those times when you prefer to sleep under palm trees, good luck .
bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 10:46   #21

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

The yacht becomes that shiny new red Aston Martin Convertible. Size doesn't matter.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 11:36   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

How about...."let's go to your place, my boat's kinda small and it would be nice to spread out for a while". That way you don't sound so whimpy. You might get a reaction "you live on a boat, how kewl". That ought to help break the ice.
Next time invite her for a ride on your water bed.
Simple minds come up with simple solutions. Hey wait, I said that!
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 14:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
The yacht becomes that shiny new red Aston Martin Convertible. Size doesn't matter.
What's the old saying..."It's not the size of the dinghy, but the motion of the ocean that matters..."
Old 16-06-2012, 14:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
How about...."let's go to your place, my boat's kinda small and it would be nice to spread out for a while". !
I am soooo using that! Thanks for the new pickup line.
Old 16-06-2012, 14:57   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Think of the boat as a filter for finding the right type of gal. It keeps the gold diggers, the girly girls and the land lubbers away.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 15:37   #26

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

It's been my experience that a sailboat can indeed be a chic magnet but only if used for weekend recreation as apart from living aboard.

For living aboard can easily translate into one becoming but a vagrant on a boat and chics won't care much for that after the novelty of being on a boat wears out.

I'm just saying...
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 15:50   #27

You can save $ not buying the boat yet! Then when she wants you to abandon your boating dreams (which happens ALOT) you wont have had to deal with the boat at all! Hmmmm.... pessimistic I guess. Hang out the right places, and network with the right people and you may find that boating "girl"!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 15:58   #28
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You can save $ not buying the boat yet! Then when she wants you to abandon your boating dreams (which happens ALOT) you wont have had to deal with the boat at all! Hmmmm.... pessimistic I guess. Hang out the right places, and network with the right people and you may find that boating "girl"!

Bought my last boat from a friend who spent ten years building her for cruising, then married a woman who wouldn't sail. She divorced him a year after he sold the boat to me.
I found my wife in boatbuilding school, all covered with wood chips. They are few and far between.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 16:05   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Many a time when you tell someone you live on a boat they say "Oh you live on a Yacht". Then I quickly reply, "Noooooooooo, Donald Trump lives on a yacht, I live on a boat."
The other popular responce, "you must have money". Reply - "Noooooooo, if I had money I would live in a house".
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 16:30   #30

Boat: Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy
Jassen, you don't have a thing to worry about. Boats are babe magnets.

You'll do at least as well at dating as a liveaboard as you did as a landlubber.
Well, good. I haven't had a date in ten years, and it's been the best ten years of my adult life. I was worried they'd come out of the woodwork when I move aboard. LOL
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard