Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 19:20   #1

Liveaboard Dating

Greetings, folks. I've been lurking on these forums for a number of months, doing as much reading and research online as I can. There is an amazing amount of knowledge contained within these forums, for which I am very grateful for everybody sharing.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the water because of my 6 years in the US Navy, and miss being at sea. So, I decided that my next adventure in life would be to join liveaboard cruising world. I recently relocated to the Pacific Northwest, and have started looking at boats for sale, and I take my first sailing class this Sunday.

My only question so far about the liveaboard lifestyle that I haven't found an answer to elsewhere is how the single sailors handle the dating scene. I'm 34 and am not quite the shy type. However, I have trepidations about the potential reactions when I say, "Well, you can come over, but I live in a tiny, cramped fiberglass box tied to a pier."

Anybody have any thoughts on this subject?

Thank you much!
-Jassen
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 19:39   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Liveaboard Dating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen View Post
Greetings, folks. I've been lurking on these forums for a number of months, doing as much reading and research online as I can. There is an amazing amount of knowledge contained within these forums, for which I am very grateful for everybody sharing.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the water because of my 6 years in the US Navy, and miss being at sea. So, I decided that my next adventure in life would be to join liveaboard cruising world. I recently relocated to the Pacific Northwest, and have started looking at boats for sale, and I take my first sailing class this Sunday.

My only question so far about the liveaboard lifestyle that I haven't found an answer to elsewhere is how the single sailors handle the dating scene. I'm 34 and am not quite the shy type. However, I have trepidations about the potential reactions when I say, "Well, you can come over, but I live in a tiny, cramped fiberglass box tied to a pier."

Thank you much!
-Jassen

Jassen, if you love boats enough to live on one, you have to look for women who share that passion. You won't find many who want to live on a boat -- I personally think I would have found it difficult while I was working -- but a woman who loves boating will understand your doing it. Don't expect someone looking for a husband and family to get it. They will want to know early on if you're willing to go back to land.

A lot of women in the age range you would be dating will be hoping to find that special someone to marry and have a family with.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 19:52   #3

Boat: Ohlson 38

Jassen, you don't have a thing to worry about. Boats are babe magnets.

You'll do at least as well at dating as a liveaboard as you did as a landlubber.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:30   #4

Thanks for the replies. These are good things to hear. Good times will be had aboard the Super Funtime Sea Bus.
Old 15-06-2012, 20:40   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27
A guy with his own liveaboard boat. I would have dated you in a heartbeat when I was single, and probably would have asked... Where are we going this weekend?
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
A guy with his own liveaboard boat. I would have dated you in a heartbeat when I was single, and probably would have asked... Where are we going this weekend?
Awesome! I hope I find more of that attitude!
Old 15-06-2012, 20:43   #7

Me too. Of course all of us are boater babes! Cool name!! That will draw them. Find the one that loves it. Of course the Coasties will want to check the fun bus on its way out & in!! LOL
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:56   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Oh, for the days of my youth when I too lived aboard and was single! I lived aboard in Berkeley, CA, and those UCB hippie girls can't get enough of sailing. Sailboat's are the ultimate chick magnet, all you need now is a puppy to break the ice and you are the mack dad! Don't worry, I've lived aboard in the PNW for almost twenty years. You will have no trouble at all...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 22:02   #9

"A woman will not lay down in a boat she cannot stand up in."

So someone joked...If it is true then consider there are 12,000,000 single eligible friendly beautiful Filipnas.

But it is not true. So you will have no problem. I've never had any negative reaction to staying on the boats. In fact the boat is a good a place as any to start the evening.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 22:40   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen View Post
I recently relocated to the Pacific Northwest, and have started looking at boats for sale, and I take my first sailing class this Sunday.

Thank you much!
-Jassen
So, you've already started dating. Your looking for a a place to spend your money. A warm place to sleep. Something to consume your time and energy even when your busy. A demand of your presence and attention. And to deal with all the little problems you didn't know existed.
Then you move in together.
Old 15-06-2012, 23:16   #11

Boat: Kristen 52

Jassen,

I have been a liveaboard for 5 years and have gone through the dating scene.
I used on-line sites and put right in the profile that I live on a boat. I met plenty of great gals that shared the same interest as me, and have been with the same one for two years now.
I don't care what other's perceptions are, if they don't like how I live move on.
I had one woman tell me I was one step away from homeless....let's see, I paid 150k cash for my boat, she was renting a room...perceptions

Cheers,
Chuck
Old 16-06-2012, 06:54   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Let's see, some people are millionaires and prefer to live aboard an old boat. Yep that one step from homeless...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 07:02   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

You want to have a boat and a girlfriend?
One's gonna be more demanding than the other.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 07:20   #14
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

By moving aboard first you avoid problems that arise when one partner wants to change lifestyles to go cruising and the other does not. A woman who buys into your liveaboard situation knows what she is getting into If she starts hinting that you should change, run for your life.
Old 16-06-2012, 07:33   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the only difference i found in the dating life area was on docks in marina slips there are more weirdos in residence--inclusive of perverts and stalkers.
have fun and live safe.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard