Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2012, 16:48   #121

Boat: Spencer 53 Ketch
Re: Liveaboard Dating

I really wish it was not that way, however, it appears to be the way it is. Hopefully time proves me wrong, because it is a long lonley road without a partner.

Like I said before, the exception to the rule is to hook up with a Sailorgal. Believe it or not, there are some very attractive women who love the sea.

At that point, compatibility becomes the rub.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 21:53   #122

Boat: Laguna Windrose 26'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchman
The dating will not be the issue. I have lived aboard two different boats for 9 years, never had a shortage of date possibilites, girlfriends, etc....the issue is going to arise when you get serious with that 'special' one. Unless you hook up with a sailorgirl, the nesting urge for that woman is going to require you to make a decision. The decision is going to be to live with her ashore or find a replacement. I am trying not to sound like a chauvinist, but my experience has been that the trips to the marina bathroom/facilities for laundry, make-up, hair drying, showering, personal needs, etc..especially in the winter are a little more taxing on the female than the male, especially in the winter. When mold decides to present itself, and her clothes smell like deisel, and she slips on the decks going to work in her high heels, they usually come unglued. The galley is too small, the knot on her head from the companionway grows daily, there is nowhere to put her clothes, why are your tools in that drawer, how come the toilet always smells......I think you get the point.

Nope, dating is not a problem. But what do you do after the date?
I'm sorry but any woman trying to wear heels on or near a boat is a freakin idiot and deserves to slip
LadyDeMize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:16   #123

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

To be truthful after my divorce I played the field but it became meaningless. I was very honest with any date that I lived on a boat and there was no way I was going to go land based. A couple just wanted the odd weekend of play away on a boat and that was OK to keep things in good working order. I spent over £2,000 advertising for a girl and sailed off alone but after 18 moths found a real cracker boaty gal. Don't give up there are some super gals out there and your chances of meeting one are even better with the advent of the internet. Good Luck.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:39   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen View Post
I have trepidations about the potential reactions when I say, "Well, you can come over, but I live in a tiny, cramped fiberglass box tied to a pier."
This shouldn't even be a consideration. If she's worried about where you live, then it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12   #125

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I agree with Ballenxj, have you seen the places some of the gals live in ? some are nothing to write home about either....faint heart never won a fair lady !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 08:29   #126

Wow. I am a newbie and know nothing about sailing, boating, yachting or cruising except this: I love boats, the ocean, beaches and traveling. I would give nothing more than to live this lifestyle... and to meet my knight in shining cut-off dungarees, who has a boat... any boat, and wants to spend time with me on it.

If there are so many single sailors, where are they hiding? I've been doing this internet dating thing for years; and while I've made a few good friends and met a few odd ducks, I've yet to meet anyone who shares my passion for the boating life. Is there a dating website for ocean lovers? If not, we should all start one. Anyone in?
beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 09:32   #127

Most woman I meet think I live on a boat because I can afford to be on land. I try and tell them it would be cheaper to live in a apartment on the beach , not sure they believe it . My slip fee equals rent on a small apt ...then I paid for my boat go figure
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 09:38   #128

Three weeks ago I took my EX gf to the bahamas on my boat, not a cent out of her pocket We ran the air the whole time , ran the dishwasher, satalite tv,slept in the queen size bed She swam everyday. Then she told me " I am to old for this" Really? HE IS 50.So now she is sitting alone in h.er condo on the ICW, swimming in the condo pool Sometimes I just dont get it Back to the search
Old 27-09-2012, 09:51   #129

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshanti View Post
Wow. I am a newbie and know nothing about sailing, boating, yachting or cruising except this: I love boats, the ocean, beaches and traveling. I would give nothing more than to live this lifestyle... and to meet my knight in shining cut-off dungarees, who has a boat... any boat, and wants to spend time with me on it.

If there are so many single sailors, where are they hiding? I've been doing this internet dating thing for years; and while I've made a few good friends and met a few odd ducks, I've yet to meet anyone who shares my passion for the boating life. Is there a dating website for ocean lovers? If not, we should all start one. Anyone in?
We have a social group for you!

Go here and join up. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates
Old 27-09-2012, 09:53   #130

Very cool! I just joined. I am awaiting approval. Yea! Finally, people like me do exist.
Old 27-09-2012, 09:56   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Three weeks ago I took my EX gf to the bahamas on my boat, not a cent out of her pocket We ran the air the whole time , ran the dishwasher, satalite tv,slept in the queen size bed She swam everyday. Then she told me " I am to old for this" Really? HE IS 50.So now she is sitting alone in h.er condo on the ICW, swimming in the condo pool Sometimes I just dont get it Back to the search

I don't get it either. I just turned 41 and would give my right arm to live that lifestyle... for the rest of my life. Well, maybe not my right arm, but perhaps a pinky toe or something.
Old 27-09-2012, 09:58   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshanti View Post
I don't get it either. I just turned 41 and would give my right arm to live that lifestyle... for the rest of my life. Well, maybe not my right arm, but perhaps a pinky toe or something.
come to south florida
Old 27-09-2012, 10:11   #133
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

gotcha, ace....yer good to go --come to our thread---is special...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-62608-67.html
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 10:13   #134

I'm amazed this thread is still alive.

AceShanti, I see you found the single sailors side of the forum. I'm not sure how active it is, but at least it exists!

People always ask me how I can afford to travel as much as I do, and the answer is easy: It's cheaper for me to travel than to live a "normal" life in America. I'm a tax consultant for a living, and when you look at the IRS National Standards, which are used for calculating allowable living expenses for tax debtors and bankrupcy filers, it's amazing how EXPENSIVE it is to "be normal". Those allowable living expenses are based on the government's definition of a middle class lifestyle, and it blows my mind that people can spend so much money to live, but not go anywhere.

When you have no car payment, no car insurance, no mortgage, etc., life becomes very cheap, very quick. As motion30 mentioned, being a liveaboard comes with it's own expenses that add up, if you're in a marina.

Even though I'm just learning how to sail right now, I'm on the water at least two afternoons a week, and as soon as next tax season is done, I'm hoping to crew up on a boat heading somewhere, anywhere across the Pacific.

Maybe it's just me, but I think people are nuts to live in a box, and sit in a box to go from their home box to their work box, stopping at another box for an $8 cup of coffee, etc.

I'm not sure what my point was, and I'm just rambling now. But it's good to see some single ladies wanting to get out and live the lifestyle!
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 10:20   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
come to south florida
I grew up there

That might explain my love of beautiful beaches. My grandfather had a boat. He would take us out deep sea fishing nearly every weekend. There's nothing better than being so far from land that all you can hear is the sound of the sea.

Tags
liveaboard