Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 12:42   #1

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 39'
Liveaboard costs in the British Virgin Islands

Well, after 25 years of sailing and 8 years of chartering my 39' Beneteau sailboat in the BVI's, I am ready, I think, to consider living aboard for 3-6 months at a time in both the BVI's and Virgin Islands. I am in the info gathering stage starting with expected costs. Please let me know if I am missing any costs and if my budgeting is correct. Also, which is better for liveaboard, BVI's or USVI's?

Boat insurance: $2000
Hard dockage (Hurricane Season): $600 per month
Regular dockage: $350/month
BVI Parks and Cruising fee: $400
Annual Maintenance Costs: Budgeting $500/month
Food stuffs: $100/week (Not including dining out/alcohol)
Miscellaneous Mooring Fees: Estimating 5x a month $150/Month (I like to anchor)
Fuel: $200 a quarter or $800 annual
Water: $500 annual
Trips back to US: 4x @ $1000 per roundtrip.

Anything else? If anyone is currently living aboard right now in the Virgins, feel free to provide me any other advice or tips.

Thanks!

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Stevekeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 01:50   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Liveaboard costs in the British Virgin Islands

The liveaboard costs in the BVI are going to be higher than in the USVI. A couple of comments on your budgeting:

- BVI Parks & Cruising: If you aren't using your boat commercially, a temporary import will run under $200.
- Storing on the hard is getting more difficult to find and more expensive. Check out availability at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour, that will be cheaper than at places such as Nanny Cay. Pre-reserve *now* for the coming hurricane season in order to guarantee a slot.
- Food is quite pricey in the BVI, I am not sure if your budget will suffice. Even sailing across to the USVI for provisioning might not be cheap enough.
- You will need to leave the BVI at least every 3-4 weeks (although the boat can stay) because you won't get a longer stay stamped in your passport.
- I hate paying those $30 mooring fees and anchor everywhere. Sometimes I might need to anchor in 40-50 feet (The Bight, or when Prickly Pear/BEYC good anchoring spots are taken) so if you have enough chain then you will not have to budget for mooring ball payments.

I begin my annual 6-month liveaboard period next week; but I always sail around and don't stay in the same place very long.

Tags
British Virgin Islands, liveaboard, Virgin Islands