Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 11:54   #16

Re: Liveaboard at the empty waterfront lot you own?

Most of the time, desirable waterfront property with deep water boat access is going to cost enough so that the house isn't the primary consideration.

It will also likely be zoned, as the nearby people with houses and pay taxes like other people with houses who pay taxes.

It's just the nature of the beast.

Probably a LOT cheaper to get a liveaboard slip until you can afford a property with a house on it. Carrying costs are what get you.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 13:33   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

One member on here (or maybe another forum, I forget) posted a property like this for sale for a neighbor. It got me thinking along the same lines. I went on Zillow, and found quite a few very reasonable lots with docks on canals.

Obviously those in prime locations with deep water and quick access to open water were more expensive. But I was amazed how inexpensive some of them were, especially those that I could squeeze my shallow-draft coastal cruiser into.

The one that I saw posted was in a town that didn't have a lot of restrictions on this kind of use. I think the comment was there were no attorneys in the neighborhood to foul things up. Watch out for lots in a development with extensive regulations. And if it already has a garage or barn, or even an old trailer, you may find there's already water, sewer and electric on the lot.

My point is, I think it's very do-able in the Southeast, say NC to FL, with careful research. I've never seen anything affordable in Maine that would work for this kind of use. I own a slip in a boat club in Maine, and in theory could live aboard there for the summer if I sold my house.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 13:45   #18

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

There are "Dockominiums" here in Florida...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 13:56   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a private dock on the Columbia River w/boathouse and use an Incinolet toilet so no sewage. Depending on what county and what side of the river, gray water is forbidden, generally closer to big cities. Power wasn't a problem. Former shipyard boathouse/woodshop existed long before me. Oregon State owns the river bank and an easement could be a problem for a new site. Water under the dock belongs to the state and requires a lease even if the bank is privately owned. Big city people (majority votes) want to get into their kayaks and have the river look like before humans. Even renewing an existing lease can be a problem. Although the more rural, the less problems. Some places if old pilings exist a dock can be put in.
Around here (40+ miles from Portland) the state has come down hard on violators. Loss of lease, fenced off so no land access, etc.
When I was young there were dozens of houses (floating and on pilings), docks, marinas and old cannery and sawmill sites. Most have been driven away by the states and the people that make laws.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 14:40   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Better to put a small cabin on the property to officially call home and run services to the dock from it. Would keep the tax man happier that way. BTW where are you located?
In canada you can't get a "mortgage" on a vacant lot...it must have a structure on it. Kind of a big deal if you are borrowing the money to build your serviced dock.

In the 1000 islands (east end of Lake Ontario, Great Lakes, Canada), there are island properties like you describe, nothing but a serviced dock.

I think there was even one floating dock (with power) in the middle of a bay which caused quite a controversy some time ago. A group of investors bought the "mineral rights" to the bottom of the bay (cheap) and built a floating dock there. The locals with waterfront cottages there were furious. Unfortunately, the group of investors were all lawyers....oy.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 14:53   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 - Cutter Rigged

Thank you for the original post and all the replies. Owning beachfront lots in Belize, I've been thinking about how best to do a liveaboard arrangement for myself.

As a now retired lawyer, real estate broker, small-time spec builder, political consultant and landlord of a "liveaboard boat slip" in San Francisco, like some who posted here, I foresee government intervention as the single greatest obstacle to creating a viable live-aboard lifestyle in the US. Specifically, as the UN's "Agenda 21 rules" gets more and more intrusively implemented, the prospects of permanently living aboard (even on our rivers and lakes) is increasingly problematic. Exacerbating this condition is the more than 6,000 Americans a day turning age 65 plus the growing attractiveness of land-based dwellings as fodder for fiscally irresponsible government spending at all levels.

As mentioned above, there used to be many more liveaboard opportunities than there are now. Among my most enjoyable items of litigation was representing the Marin County Major Crimes Taskforce in the civil rights litigation stemming from the "cleanup" (the government and developer's word) of the houseboat community in Sausalito, CA. What a riot - literally and figuratively.
Revenue Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 04:28   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Revenue Cutter.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
One member on here (or maybe another forum, I forget) posted a property like this for sale for a neighbor. It got me thinking along the same lines. I went on Zillow, and found quite a few very reasonable lots with docks on canals.

I wouldn't trust what was said in an advertisement. Odds are high that they are flying under the radar or were grandfathered in but no guarantee you will get grandfathered in.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 22:10   #24

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

"Basically I was hoping to get some property that I can have a dock with deep water access, probably with at least a pole barn to keep a car and other storage, and then run the utilities to a boat. Eventually I'd probably build a house there, but live on the boat until I have the funds for that."
END

Florida is about fishing and small fishing boats, or small sailboats and that is what's catered for. Go to any West Marine store and you'll be hard pressed to find an assistant with sailing knowledge.
Properties with deep water and access for a 60ft mast are rare and when available usually cost $350k and up. Even properties on the ICW are only dredged for the main channel.
I've looked on both coasts for years for reasonable rent or sale, so I'd appreciate hearing of any.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 22:29   #25

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

You might be further ahead buying a live aboard slip in a marina.
We stayed at the Cocoa Village Marina on the Indian River near Cape Canaveral for about five months. Nice facility and amenities with parking. Lots of commercial storage facilities near by. People owned slips and made money when they were not using them.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 22:40   #26

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenue Cutter View Post
Thank you for the original post and all the replies. Owning beachfront lots in Belize, I've been thinking about how best to do a liveaboard arrangement for myself.

As a now retired lawyer, real estate broker, small-time spec builder, political consultant and landlord of a "liveaboard boat slip" in San Francisco, like some who posted here, I foresee government intervention as the single greatest obstacle to creating a viable live-aboard lifestyle in the US. Specifically, as the UN's "Agenda 21 rules" gets more and more intrusively implemented, the prospects of permanently living aboard (even on our rivers and lakes) is increasingly problematic. Exacerbating this condition is the more than 6,000 Americans a day turning age 65 plus the growing attractiveness of land-based dwellings as fodder for fiscally irresponsible government spending at all levels.

As mentioned above, there used to be many more liveaboard opportunities than there are now. Among my most enjoyable items of litigation was representing the Marin County Major Crimes Taskforce in the civil rights litigation stemming from the "cleanup" (the government and developer's word) of the houseboat community in Sausalito, CA. What a riot - literally and figuratively.
yup, thats the future. anyone hoping to live aboard in countries where property bubbles, typically anglo language, better think again.

i think med & asia & pacific are places to be, subject to future wars here and there. boat is good as one can move when knives etc come out.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 02:53   #27

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
yup, thats the future. anyone hoping to live aboard in countries where property bubbles, typically anglo language, better think again.

i think med & asia & pacific are places to be, subject to future wars here and there. boat is good as one can move when knives etc come out.
Boat people in the Orient have lived aboard so long they have evolved with hardly any legs. They rarely, if ever come off their boats. Aberdeen, Hong Kong is one such boat city.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 06:54   #28

Boat: Camano Troll

It would be much simpler just to keep the boat at a marina that allows liveaboards. Your electric, water and sewer are already there. Trash and garbage pickup is provided. You don't have to buy property, pay taxes and pay for utilities to be installed.

And, when you get tired of where you're staying, cancel the contract, untie the lines and move.
Old 22-02-2016, 07:39   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It would be much simpler just to keep the boat at a marina that allows liveaboards. Your electric, water and sewer are already there. Trash and garbage pickup is provided. You don't have to buy property, pay taxes and pay for utilities to be installed.

And, when you get tired of where you're staying, cancel the contract, untie the lines and move.
That's the best advice I have read in this thread
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:25   #30

Boat: Tollycraft 34 Sport Sedan

I have property in SW Florida, St James City. Waterfront with no bridges. There are many sailboats at lots there, not aware of many live aboards but I don't see why you couldn't. Good waterfront lots are available sub 200k. Nice quiet spot.
oceanstate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, water