Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 13:03   #46

Re: Liveaboard anchoring.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
DragQueen is the name of the app on the iPhone that you can use. You'll need to leave it plugged in though when you're using it or it will go flat quickly.

Half or full power backwards sounds like a great idea until the wind changes, swings you in the opposite direction and your anchor spins around and lets go!
Should have gotten a BRUCE! They screw into the bottom as they are rotated

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashura
Umm.. if you guys need a louder alarm for your iphone/smart phone, if your alarm program has an vibrate mode, set it to that and place the phone on top of couple of cookie pan or place it in a metal bowl thats large enough to hold the phone in but small enough where the phone wont rest on the bottom. It rattles like a very loud bell.

... And if you have a real bell even better
Love the idea of the bowl. It will rattle & echo the bell back. Oops-I found that I didn't have the sound up all the way either-duh-that helped too!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:10   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Indeed, I thought everybody knew that. Original Bruce, Spade, Delta, Kobra, Rocna, Manson Supreme and all that look like that will turn in the seabed instead of breaking out... well, mostly. This is one of the reasons to oversize; it makes this work every time.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:19   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard anchoring.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
God... another Bruce Fan in The ROCNA/Manson site...
Welcome Brother...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 16:58   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Uhm, ok. Maybe we are weird, but we set our alarm as we drop anchor. It is part of our regular routine.
We use headsets, Al on the anchor, me on the helm, and when he says he's happy with the spot, I say "ready to mark", and read out the speed until it drops to 0.0knts. I say "0.0,' he says "dropping now" I say "marked" (and set a mark on the chartplotter to use as the anchor mark) and we do what we do to set it in good.
I just thought everyone had a similar method. You're saying most folks don't do something like this? Oh God.... are we anal?

we do a similar thing
Old 04-01-2012, 23:19   #51

We always drop 2 anchors 180 degrees apart. Takes a little longer to leave but we aren't in any hurry anyway.
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 00:36   #52
cruiser

Boat: Catalac, sailing catamaran, 10 meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if we ever drag,my hard dinghy that i leave of the stern whacking into the back of the boat is the best alarn,the rib we lift
imagine my plastic yacht being hit by my hard tender, i risk sink both
i use my handheld chartplotter, my reserve GPS, set anchor alarm in cockpit when yacht has settled at anchor, then when i sleep it has a mounting with 12V plug in next to my head, so GPS alarm does wake me. The distance for yacht allowed to move will depend on my observation, obstructions of whatever nature, close by, the current, wind. never larger than half the distance to what you dont to hit.
I see no advantage in setting alarm above the anchor, rather control the swinging, sailing around anchor as well.
quirimbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seems to me there's a lot of very paranoid about dragging cruisers around who don't know how to anchor... D.O.J..... Anchor School opportunity for ya..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:30   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Seems to me there's a lot of very paranoid about dragging cruisers around who don't know how to anchor... D.O.J..... Anchor School opportunity for ya..

In 30 years I have dragged twice - both on the same day (in daylight). 45 knots winds, anchored on two bow anchors, in loose sand over rock. We ventured into shallower water and reset at about 15: 1 scope. That night we stood my second anchor watch ever; the first time we did not drag.

I sleep well at anchor without any fancy gizmos. Early on I left my depth sounder on, but gave up on that when marine life would set it off. I do wake up when things do not sound or feel quite right.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43   #55
cruiser

Boat: Catalac, sailing catamaran, 10 meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
abhorring anchor dragging, you bet, paranoia, that would be if you never drag. Don Casey states somewhere in an article, i stand to be corrected, that he never drags anchor as he always uses two anhors at a time. I have even dragged with three anchors, as recently as two days ago. Sudden squall got my starboard anchor to start dragging at speed, the port anchor, set at 60 degrees from starboard one, a CQR on chain rode 50meter out dragged too but then starboard bruce got a hold and stern anchor, a Danforth, never moved. Now sharing such info is constructive and helpfull, and i can give more details of incident if requested to do so.

I wouldnt call myself a senior cruiser, just a realist who has had many senior sailor mentors and never had a condescending one, whose only constructive remark is here to advise to go to anchor school. Maybe we can be advised how members here deserve senior sailor status. Respect, diplomacy, non-patronizing attitude, be important factors.
quirimbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51   #56

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner
Uhm, ok. Maybe we are weird, but we set our alarm as we drop anchor. It is part of our regular routine.
We use headsets, Al on the anchor, me on the helm, and when he says he's happy with the spot, I say "ready to mark", and read out the speed until it drops to 0.0knts. I say "0.0,' he says "dropping now" I say "marked" (and set a mark on the chartplotter to use as the anchor mark) and we do what we do to set it in good.
I just thought everyone had a similar method. You're saying most folks don't do something like this? Oh God.... are we anal?
Humm what happens when your headset batteries go dead? Then again I may want to ignore him. Can always claim it doesn't work. Ok having way to much fun with this one. A couple in their thirties used to dock next to me. It was comical watching him at the helm and her on deck with their headsets on to go racing. I could see the teeth clenched as he was barking orders to her and she struggled to keep the thing on her head.
Since I single hand I don't need anybody barking in my ear.

Whatever works for you.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57   #57

Anyone still use hand signals? I still teach folks to use them.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

People that anchor in mud and soft sand cannot understand concern about dragging.
If you cruse areas of the world with hard sand weed and strong winds you need to concerned about dragging, because sooner or later you will.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05   #59
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Anyone still use hand signals? I still teach folks to use them.
We use hand-signals for the anchoring stuff while chatting about the boats we know in the anchorage we just arrived at etc.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirimbas View Post
abhorring anchor dragging, you bet, paranoia, that would be if you never drag. Don Casey states somewhere in an article, i stand to be corrected, that he never drags anchor as he always uses two anhors at a time. I have even dragged with three anchors, as recently as two days ago. Sudden squall got my starboard anchor to start dragging at speed, the port anchor, set at 60 degrees from starboard one, a CQR on chain rode 50meter out dragged too but then starboard bruce got a hold and stern anchor, a Danforth, never moved. Now sharing such info is constructive and helpfull, and i can give more details of incident if requested to do so.

I wouldnt call myself a senior cruiser, just a realist who has had many senior sailor mentors and never had a condescending one, whose only constructive remark is here to advise to go to anchor school. Maybe we can be advised how members here deserve senior sailor status. Respect, diplomacy, non-patronizing attitude, be important factors.
I think that all you need to do to call yourself a senior sailor is to go to the User CP, click on "edit details," and then scroll down to "user title." You can call yourself the King of Mozambique of you'd like, or even the Senior King....

Don Casey is a great source of do-it-yourself tips, but his anchoring advice pales in the face of anything the Senior King of Mozambique would tell you. Using Casey for tips on anchoring is a bit like tuning in to Dr. Phil for tips on how to invest in the Dow Jones.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, liveaboard