Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-01-2012, 08:33   #91
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Either one should be able to confirm the anchor is set or not?
On our boat the person at the helm can't really see the chain during the setting process. The person on the bow indicates the angle of the chain so that the person on the throttle knows that enough is enough once it's horizontal.

The signal that the anchoring process has come to completion is, however, auditory. It's the refreshing "phhhhsssssst" sound of freshly opened brew.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:50   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I don't understand what all you are communicating about, once you have selected the spot (which you can do from the cockpit), the only signal you need to give is when anchor is down, to start backing down. Either one should be able to confirm the anchor is set or not? As a singlehander, I only go back to the cockpit to back down on the anchor, otherwise all the action is at the bow.
Tom
There are many situations where it is helpful to have someone at the bow during the approach. To an anchorage. A few examples.

Coral bommies can be seen easier and earlier from the bow.

When coming into a complicated anchorage at night someone at the bow retains much better night vision. The helms person can monitor the radar, sounder. chartplotter etc

In some anchorages it is necessary to place the anchor precisely in The Med for example some of the weed free spots are only a few meters in size so the spot has to be chosen from the bow.

In all these situation the bow person can control the helm with handsignals, but without voice communalization you loose other information such as radar sounder etc. You also loose the opinion and advice of the person at the helm.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:49   #93

Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Seems to me there's a lot of very paranoid about dragging cruisers around who don't know how to anchor... D.O.J..... Anchor School opportunity for ya..
This comment is not useful at all, and relates nothing to the original post. The post related to liveaboards feeling confident, especially in the harsh environment such as the pnw.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomdaica View Post
This comment is not useful at all, and relates nothing to the original post. The post related to liveaboards feeling confident, especially in the harsh environment such as the pnw.
I have sailed in the PNW for close to thirty years. There are many folks who could benefit from anchoring school.

I have seen numerous occasions where anchors are are not set at all; this is especially true when folks are anchoring stern-to the shore. Anchors that are laid out at speed in reverse - they do not hold. Insufficient scope. Anchoring too close. Too much scope.

I can illustrate the consequences with the last two. I had anchored in 40 feet early in Montague Harbour well away from the the rest of the vessels because we were planning a 0200 departure for a night sail down to Sidney Spit. This was in the days before cell phones, so I want ashore to phone home. When I returned I found a large power boat (flying a CSPS burgee) anchored in my swing room. They denizens of the vessels were "screaming about the anchorage in the RIB". I finally got their attention and tried to explain that when the wind shifted near sundown I was going to swing into them. I was unable to convince them otherwise. At about 2030 while we were planning our night trip one of the crew told me I was needed on deck. Sure enough the wind had shifted and we had the wind on our stern headed right for them. After much shouting we decided to move. One of the power boaters yelled "what kind is a$$hole anchors on 200 feet of rode?" An incoming big ketch heard that and responded that they anchored on 200 feet of chain.

In another situation in Friday Harbour I watch as a Bayliner anchored in the cable area for Brown Island. One of the residents of the island rowed out and told them to leave. They then found another spot to the west where they played bumper cars with other anchored boats. They then moved into what looked to me like the ferry lane. At 0530 the next morning I was awaken by the sound of something hitting the rod rigging on our boat (very distinctive sound BTW). It was that power boat which had managed to drift past two other boats before hitting me.

In the PNW I have never dragged anchor. I only set two anchors when I teaching folks how to anchor on two anchors. I actually do not recall anyone using more than one. In confined anchorages such as Princess Bay (Wallace Island) and in areas with steep dropoffs like Walsh Cove I use a stern-tie to shore.

If you use an appropriate anchor that can survive a wind shift with sufficient scope and dig it in properly you will feel comfortable about your anchoring. BTW the conventional wisdom of the day is to use either lots of chain or all chain. That is more comforting than the two boat lengths of chain of the days of yore.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 13:41   #95

Boat: Still Looking
Re: Liveaboard anchoring.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
Is there some kind of GPS app that can broadcast a signal to a phone or something if you move to far from your point of origin?
I am interested if there is a device that can tell you while you are ashore in a remote area with no cell or wi-fi, that your anchor is dragging?

I think it would need to be some sort of radio device linked to the anchor monitor on board.
Old 06-01-2012, 13:46   #96
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARK

I am interested if there is a device that can tell you while you are ashore in a remote area with no cell or wi-fi, that your anchor is dragging?

I think it would need to be some sort of radio device linked to the anchor monitor on board.
Easy. Put anchor alarm on GPS. Switch 2-meter HAM handset to VOX mode and put it in front of the GPS. Take another handset or scanner with you to monitor the alarm.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 06-01-2012, 14:06   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

Easy. Put anchor alarm on GPS. Switch 2-meter HAM handset to VOX mode and put it in front of the GPS. Take another handset or scanner with you to monitor the alarm.

ciao!
Nick.
LOL... And hopefully you can figure out how to get the gps to xmit your call sign as required by FCC regs every 5 minutes and at the end of the transmission.

Rgds,

Don
N1FVB
Old 06-01-2012, 15:32   #98

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Liveaboard anchoring..and Paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Seems to me there's a lot of very paranoid about dragging cruisers around who don't know how to anchor... D.O.J..... Anchor School opportunity for ya..

If you want to contract the illness head over here to Australia and anchor off the northern side of the jetty at Coffs Harbour NSW. When the wind did a one-eighty causing the boat I mentioned above to drag into me they obviously got a bad case of the bug. After letting out a bit more scope to give them more room, I crawled out of bed early morning to discover them missing. It was off to the marina for them!

Other than learning how to anchor, apparently $40 a night is a common cure?

I actually felt a bit sorry for this potential cruiser as they were one of the first boats I did not comment to about how bad the holding was when they dropped their pick. The reason I kept quite was because a self-assumed more experience cruiser had a day before questioned my obsessive anchoring practices of running around on the rode to see where I am going to end up - potentially obscuring an inner harbour entrance, under a nasty big jetty, on the beach or maybe even on the razor sharp igneous rock breakwater - and multiply driving the anchor home. I would not so much say I am "paranoid" (well maybe a bit) so much as I have seen the place in one or more of its many "moods".
Old 06-01-2012, 16:05   #99
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Liveaboard anchoring..and Paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
If you want to contract the illness head over here to Australia and anchor off the northern side of the jetty at Coffs Harbour NSW. When the wind did a one-eighty causing the boat I mentioned above to drag into me they obviously got a bad case of the bug. After letting out a bit more scope to give them more room, I crawled out of bed early morning to discover them missing. It was off to the marina for them!

Other than learning how to anchor, apparently $40 a night is a common cure?

I actually felt a bit sorry for this potential cruiser as they were one of the first boats I did not comment to about how bad the holding was when they dropped their pick. The reason I kept quite was because a self-assumed more experience cruiser had a day before questioned my obsessive anchoring practices of running around on the rode to see where I am going to end up - potentially obscuring an inner harbour entrance, under a nasty big jetty, on the beach or maybe even on the razor sharp igneous rock breakwater - and multiply driving the anchor home. I would not so much say I am "paranoid" (well maybe a bit) so much as I have seen the place in one or more of its many "moods".
See.. knowing your bottom and laying accordingly saved you $40 and Anchor school...
Often on here I'm puzzled when folks start talking 5-1 and 7-1... its a foreign language to me... I was taught 3.5 x boatlength + drop + depth... and thats my standard set.... if its a blow I'll go another boat length.. a real blow + one more...
The times I see folk drop the hook stopped, pile out a load of chain on top of it then reverse at 3-4kts across the anchorage dragging a tangle behind waiting for it to bite..
Drop on the move and lay out that chain....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:15   #100

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Liveaboard anchoring..and Paranoia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm puzzled when folks start talking 5-1 and 7-1... its a foreign language to me... I was taught 3.5 x boatlength + drop + depth... and thats my standard set....
OK, this is fascinating to me. Perhaps worthy of a new thread, but lets give it a try...

According to your formula boatman, if I anchor in 10' of water I should put out:

3.5 x 37' (boat length) + 5' (drop) + 10' (depth)
= 129.5' + 5' + 10'
= 144.5 feet.

According to the 5:1 (basic anchor) or 7:1 (serious blow anchor) I would put out:

5' (drop) + 10' (depth) x 5
= 75 feet

OR

5' (drop) + 10' (depth) x 7
= 105 feet

Either way, it's quite the discrepancy. What's the right answer?
Old 06-01-2012, 17:29   #101

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

ROFL..... in my case its
21x3.5+3+10=87ft....
thats my rule...
in calm weather I don't put any strain on the anchor...
the weight of the chain dragging is to much even with a modest tide...
by the time its a F5 2/3rds is off the bottom...
if it looks to strengthen out goes another 6metres...
Works for me and thats all I'm interested in...

Born To Be Wild
Old 06-01-2012, 18:09   #102

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'

We love our Bruce, but we also have a Fortress and a plow. We generally set the drag alarm after setting the anchor, rather than at the drop, because we want to know if we rotate significantly in the night. Many anchorages in the Virgins can get crowded enough that switching direction brings you into potential conflict with someone else's boat, it's better to wake up when that happens than to sleep through.

But you're right that usually a change in wind or wave sounds/rhythms/intensity will wake us up when we are living on the hook.

We have the GPS that we use in the cockpit (integral to the panel) and a separate portable GPS for navstation use that we also set as drag alarm. DragQueen sounds great (if only we had iPhones) and the saucepan method was kludgily amusing! Thanks, everyone, for great discussion!
Old 06-01-2012, 18:31   #103

Boat: PETERSON 44
I come into anchor with a good steam on. When anchoring I never lift my feet. I lift the anchor and hurtle it off the bow like a shot putt.. Put the rope around a cleat and jump in my rib and go ashore. Why would I want an anchor alarm? So far it works okay. Way to complicated. Throw anchor don't get tangled party. OMG
Old 06-01-2012, 18:42   #104
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
I come into anchor with a good steam on. When anchoring I never lift my feet. I lift the anchor and hurtle it off the bow like a shot putt.. Put the rope around a cleat and jump in my rib and go ashore. Why would I want an anchor alarm? So far it works okay. Way to complicated. Throw anchor don't get tangled party. OMG
Ah, another candidate for Anchor School. I think you like it. They spend the first hour showing clips of boats that have washed up on lee shores being ransacked by machete-bearing villagers. But once you get past the gruesome part, I hear it's quite informative. And the lectures only last four hours each.
Old 06-01-2012, 18:55   #105

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Damn... you've seen me anchor before...
Hang on... I ain't got a rib...

Born To Be Wild

Tags
anchor, anchoring, liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: