Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2016, 05:49   #1

Liveaboard - advice please

Hullo all, I'm a newbie on this forum and a liveaboard wannabe looking for some serious advice.

I am planning to retire in about 2 years, the ideal is to buy a liveaboard and cruise the QLD coast and/or Indonesia/Thailand. Its just my wife and I and our golden Lab, we are looking to buy something in the line of a 49' Defever for around the 300K mark.

I have spent most of my life around the sea but unfortunately no time in boats anywhere near this size. Can any similar minded folk give us their thoughts and experiences with regard to monthly running costs (maintenance,insurance and whatever other expenses I havent thought about), courses in QLD to attain the appropriate boat handling proficiency and any other advise or info that could help us live the dream.

Cheers
Puma 01
Puma 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 06:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Liveaboard - advice please

Good luck, nice boat, and you should be able to get a good one. I initially winced when I saw Lab, but then saw 49 Defever, I'm sure you will be fine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 06:59   #3

Boat: Able 50

Getting a dog back into Australia isn't worth the trouble. What is the quarantine? 30 days I think. The absolute minimum quarantine is 10 days but entry from only one of the Asian countries qualifies (Malaysia). All are longer plus you pay for the quarantine plus you pay for rabies shots, on and on it goes. $$$$
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:21   #4

Thanks Mod, he's quite relaxed for a Lab so there should be enough room for the 3 of us.

Saviour we keep his rabies shots and tests up to date so its only 30 days, quite a pricey process but he's family.
Old 21-07-2016, 07:31   #5

Boat: Able 50

Ports of entry don't have dog quarantine so you will also pay for transport to the nearest town that does. The Asian countries are all loaded with diseases so the customs guys will be extra tough. The whole thing could cost around $1000. Quarantine fees alone are $29/day.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:36   #6

Better keep an eye on the swim dog, it will jump in and just swim away. LOL.
Ive got one of those yellow dogs too. She's an old timer though. Will have gone on to the great swimming pool in the sky by the time Im ready to go.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 07:47   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have a Chocolate Lab that I am going to have to find a home for ourselves, even if she would fit on a 38' sailboat, she would be miserable, she does swim well though.
I didn't know Labs had webbed feet until my Daughter showed me, it's her dog.
Old 21-07-2016, 08:06   #8

Would you believe our guy doesn't like to swim, so hopefully he'll stay on the boat ... bit odd for a Lab, I know.
Old 21-07-2016, 08:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good to know they can though when they fall in, eventually it will happen. Neighbors have actually practiced with their lab, plan is and it works too it to jump in after the dog with a throw able cushion, put that under the dogs chest and front feet, then you have time to figure out how to get them back aboard, a MY with a swim platform has the advantage here.
Labs float, look at one in the water, their fat content is high enough so that you see their whole back sticking out of the water, contrast that to the Doberman I had years ago, all you could see was his head, and to keep that out he had to dog paddle furiously or he would sink like a rock.
Old 21-07-2016, 08:43   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

For what is worth, I suggest you start with something a lot smaller (<33') in the $20-30k range. Limit yourself to daysailing while you take your lessons and build your confidence. After a year or two you should have a much better fix on what you want/need and if living aboard is for you and your wife. As others have noted, a dog in Asia will be an ongoing but surmountable problem. Fair winds and good fortune to you.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 09:14   #11

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

If you plan to mainly live a board buy a boat that is comfortable and good sailing last...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 09:15   #12

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Buying a smaller boat first is common advice and has some merit. In this case it could be a mistake. I can't imagine having another person and a lab living on my 32 footer with me.

Access from a dinghy could be difficult for the dog? I know a couple that had a ramp for the dog to use on thier 50 footer. I'm sure that apparatus would be easier to store and use on a larger boat.

It would be a shame if deciding the life wasn't the thing because the first shot at it was on a boat too small.
Old 21-07-2016, 09:45   #13

For that price you could get a pretty decent catamaran. A catamaran around 40'+ would give all the room you need, its stable and comparatively easier to sail, also they usually have nice scoops or swim steps aft. you wont regret it.
I stated out with a 46' deep draft Discovery. Almost lost my wife off of the transom hauling in the dinghy also narrow foredeck for handling sails.
Catman
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 09:48   #14

Boat: Scout 30

I started to recommend a couple of other trawlers you might consider but then thought, why bother, you've already picked out a great one which is half the battle. The other half is finding the right one. I'd recommend starting the search now because it can take a long time. Plus the more you look at the more you'll know about them. I've been on a couple & from what I've seen & read there are a lot of variations. One thing I'd strongly consider is Naiads. Displacement hull trawlers can roll a lot.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:31   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Welcome to the forum. Others have already cautioned you about the potential costs and issues with the dog in Australia so I will try to address your other questions. Unfortunately the answer to most of your questions is some version of "it depends". One thing it depends on is whether you pay a boat yard to do it (expensive) or DIY (do it yourself, not expensive). Another thing is where. Obviously labor is cheaper in Thailand that Sydney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma 01 View Post
Hullo all, I'm a newbie on this forum and a liveaboard wannabe looking for some serious advice.

I am planning to retire in about 2 years, the ideal is to buy a liveaboard and cruise the QLD coast and/or Indonesia/Thailand. Its just my wife and I and our golden Lab, we are looking to buy something in the line of a 49' Defever for around the 300K mark.

I have spent most of my life around the sea but unfortunately no time in boats anywhere near this size. Can any similar minded folk give us their thoughts and experiences with regard to monthly running costs

Running costs as in fuel costs and routine engine maintenance will depend on how much and how far you travel. If you cover a lot of miles the fuel costs can be significant. Routine engine maintenance are similar to a car as far as what to do but can be more expensive when you attach "marine" in front of the request.

(maintenance,

Routine maintenance not so much. Haul the boat every 1-2-3 years to clean and paint the bottom, replace zincs. The time depends on what type and quality of bottom paint you use and where you boat. Where because some areas grow weed and barnacles on your bottom much faster than others. DIY maybe $1000-$2000. Pay the yard, double that. Then normal change the oil, filters, transmission fluid, etc. Not that much unless you motor a LOT and pay a pro to do it for you.

insurance

Will depend on many things. Big one, liability only or full hull coverage. Then where you boat and perceived risk in that area. Could be $1000/year to $10,000/year.

and whatever other expenses I havent thought about)

Are you going to anchor out or pay marina dock fees? Eat out or cook on board?

Then there's just ongoing stuff like a house: plumbing, electrical, painting, etc

, courses in QLD to attain the appropriate boat handling proficiency and any other advise or info that could help us live the dream.

Cheers
Puma 01
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, liveaboard