Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:46   #1

Live on a Boat While Not Cruising ?

Hey everyone I'm longing to do some cruising but I'll be graduating from University this May so I'll need to do some saving. Fortunately I'm graduating debt free so it makes the idea of buying a live able boat in the next few years obtainable. I'm looking for jobs on the Gulf and West coasts at the moment with the intent of buying a boat, moving aboard with the woman I will most likely marry, outfitting it with a steady cash flow, and saving until I can set of and cruise the world for a few years before working again.

Any of you cruisers live aboard with a significant boat when not cruising? Is it ever uncomfortable or too cramped? I am a minimalist and don't require much, but I want a boat that will be my home. What kinds of things to make your boat feel homey?
particlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09   #2

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Re: Live on a Boat While Not Cruising?

I liveaboard and am not currently cruising, doing the whole "upgrade my girl while working" thing. Boat Burnout is definitely an option. Lack of space, poor internet, the humidity, leaking ports, rough cooling/heating, and dealing with the head all make for a harsher life than what you'd get on land.

But marina life is very nice, the view is amazing, you're closer to nature, and you really do get to know your girl pretty well.

I had a specific set timeline and budget goal so I always have that to look forward to when it's 100% humidity outside and my sheets feel damp. I don't know if I'd schedule your "move aboard" and "set off" phases more than 2 years apart. If it's looking that way, buy smaller and go sooner.

I'd also recommend the gulf side over the west coast. Much easier to live aboard.

What makes my boat feel homey: good blankets, a soft bed, a nice TV with all my shows on it, my tablet that let's me cuddle up and read, internet, the fridge that gives me cold beer and sake, my crock pot and pressure cooker I used to make amazing roasts and stews. A cat for companionship would be my next addition, but not while I'm locked 50 hours a week in an office job.

But basically food, security, personal comfort, entertainment and companionship is all a person really needs. A boat can handle all of that splendidly.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:19   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

A boat is cheaper by the month if you accept the disadvantages of river mooring.
1. You'll need to keep and maintain a dinghy and outboard suited to four person transits, (or two plus groceries), drinking water, gas bottles, batteries, diesel and petrol cans.
2. You're stuck on the boat so an old Prout Catamaran (or other make) are fine (c30 to 90k). Convert the heads to a wet room, add solar power for lighting and radio.
3. Add a genny for TV, domestics, battery charging.
I'd put the minimum at a 30ft Prout, 36ft mono, plus the extras and you'll need disposable capital (not loans) of 40 to 50k. that should cover the first years bills too.
4. Marina life is easier, but the US is overcrowded and dearer than you'd think.
5. Moving house to the other coast is an expensive operation.
6. Don't expect to make a profit on sale unless your woodwork skills are excellent.
I wish we'd done it when we had the chance but had to sell house and boat to release capital.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:28   #4

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I would recomend looking at lots of boats ( a couple of years) like it is a resurch project in college. Don't make snap judgements it will only get you in trouble unless someone wants to give you a boat but even then have it inspected and a title search is done add up the costs of refurbising it. Living aboard is very rewarding and sometimes a pain. In reguards to a significant other living aboard let them help make 50% of the decision on boat size and shape (mono or multihull) and you will be happier.
Old 06-02-2012, 15:57   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"

If you indeed are a minimalist then living on a boat should not only be easy for you, but rewarding, especially on a small boat I've lived on a mooring on a 4 tonne 30-footer for a year while writing a PhD thesis and I have nothing but pleasant memories.
It appears that apart from some physical discomfort (compared to living on land with hot showers and easy electricity, water and such), the most difficult thing for some couples is to be together all the time in that small space. We never thought of it as an issue, but some people do
Good luck
Old 07-02-2012, 05:54   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, particlepat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:00   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I lived on a 28' Bertram sport fish for 7 years. I was in a marina, and enjoyed the whole time. Were it not for the snobby land dwellers provoking the county commission to outlaw such practise, I would still be living aboard.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:37   #8

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

we're in the process of moving from one boat to another for a few months..
we live in the California Delta in an upscale marina (OXBOW MARINA in Isleton Ca.) and they are welcoming liv-aboards and advertising for it at the moment..
We bought a Mid 80s 32 foot bayliner with a bad motor for 15 hundred and because we own the Canvas Shop and have our 42 here, they cut us a hell of a deal for 250 a month..
We're moving onto it for a few months to replace the sole and plumbing in our 42..
We keep our boat in proper condition so we have no leaks, no smells and its warm and comfy..
If the west coast is your destination, go inland a bit and you'll find some great deals on boats as well as marinas....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:30   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
................. Marina life is easier, but the US is overcrowded and dearer than you'd think. ....................
The US is too diverse an area for this to be meaningful. There are places where you may need to wait for years for a slip to become available at a cost of $40 per foot each month and other places where you a welcome immediately for $8 per foot each month. Ironically, the wilderness places far away from the bright lights and the big cities and with the most pleasant surroundings are the least expensive.
Old 07-02-2012, 16:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Live on a Boat While Not Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
The US is too diverse an area for this to be meaningful. There are places where you may need to wait for years for a slip to become available at a cost of $40 per foot each month and other places where you a welcome immediately for $8 per foot each month. Ironically, the wilderness places far away from the bright lights and the big cities and with the most pleasant surroundings are the least expensive.
Example...
Private dock on protected Whittaker Creek has 4.5 ft depth. Power and dock box provided. Parking and access at 111 Skipper Circle in the village of Oriental - only 100 yards up the creek from Whittaker Creek Marina.

Don't spend your money on dock fees and amenities! $155/month for one year lease or $170 month-to-month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duff_slip.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	37110  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:34   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlepat View Post
............... intent of buying a boat, moving aboard with the woman I will most likely marry, ...............
I suggest before you get too deep into this that you check with that women! If you are expecting to make this plan thats the only person's advise that is going to matter.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37   #12

Re: Live on a Boat While Not Cruising ?

Thanks for all the constructive responses. I can't reply to each of them individually, I definitely made a note on all of them.
particlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
we're in the process of moving from one boat to another for a few months..
we live in the California Delta in an upscale marina (OXBOW MARINA in Isleton Ca.) and they are welcoming liv-aboards and advertising for it at the moment..
We bought a Mid 80s 32 foot bayliner with a bad motor for 15 hundred and because we own the Canvas Shop and have our 42 here, they cut us a hell of a deal for 250 a month..
We're moving onto it for a few months to replace the sole and plumbing in our 42..
We keep our boat in proper condition so we have no leaks, no smells and its warm and comfy..
If the west coast is your destination, go inland a bit and you'll find some great deals on boats as well as marinas....
Yep, when the economy sucks all those snooty marinas say they welcome liveaboards. If things improve, you'll see how quick most of them change their tune.
Old 08-02-2012, 13:59   #14

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I think Don Lucas gave the best piece of advice. "if momma isn't happy no body's happy"
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 14:38   #15

Boat: Hunter 420
Re: Live on a Boat While Not Cruising ?

I just moved on my boat a year ago.... 44 Carver, liveaboard and workaboard. Looked for a year and half for a sailboat, couldn't find the boat that fit me or that I could afford so I said to hell with it and bought the motoryacht. I've enjoyed every day of it. My plan is to sell this boat in 2-3 years and buy a sailboat and go cruising. Yes, there's up keep but so is there up keep with a home. But it is your home! I have yet to meet anyone that wasn't helpful when I had a problem. It's a fun lifestyle, if you want it to be and understand what you're getting into. Women come and go but this opportunity may only come by once in your life. And trust me there's plenty of women out there. But you're young so go for it...and good luck!

Tags
cruising