Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 12:24   #1

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Live-Aboards that Commute To Work

Looking for any live aboard's that actually get in a car and drive to a job.

How difficult is that? Anything to watch out for? My brief 3 weeks I spent on a friend's catamaran in St. Augustine tells me that if you are at a marina, it is pretty simple to do. However, I worked from the boat during my time. I didn't have to get up, shower, commute, return home to the boat, cook dinner, sleep, rinse & repeat. Am I missing something?

I wouldn't be putting on a suit or anything, business casual would be the most dressy. The job would be something technical, either software development or consulting. We'd be buying a fairly large catamaran as well, 44' or larger.

Just checking for anything I'm overlooking.

Ray
~future s/v Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:38   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Live-Aboards that Commute To Work

I do it, and I'm in a fairly senior position in a major engineering firm. Though in IT, which luckily means I can look like I fell out of a bush and no-one cares. Though that isn't really related to living on a boat .

I am in a marina, and it's pretty much identical as going to work out of a small apartment - the only thing is I don't have a shower on my boat, so I tend to shower at work (on weekdays) or in the crappy marina one (when I have to). If I am going to a wedding or funeral I have a small ironing board and travel iron I can use.

As a side note I used to shower once a day on land, and have switched it to every 2 - 3 days since living aboard and my hair and skin looks so much better and less greasy!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:53   #3

Boat: Newport 28

A lot of it is just going to depend on the amenities of the boat, and the marina you're at. If you have everything on your boat and are fine with the showering and everything, then there's nothing different really, than it being just like a small apartment that bobs a little, and you're walking down a dock to your car instead of a sidewalk. Many marinas that offer liveaboard support also have laundry facilities, and sometimes even more. Mine has a little common room with Laundry services, and kitchen space with stoves and the like for people who's boat doesn't have the equipment (we don't have too many 40+ boats, most are mid-30ish). With a 44 foot Cat, you're probably very well set as far as what you'll have at your immediate disposal.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:57   #4

Boat: Leopard 40

We were living on a mooring in South Florida when my husband took his current 8-5 ( since January) and it is definitely more hassle than living on the dock like we do now. I needed to dinghy him into the dock about a quarter mile in all conditions (which can get a little rough and usually wet) if I wanted to keep the dinghy for myself. Then go get his at the end of the day. If he left early or would be home late, he would just take it and I stayed on my small floating island working from there. So I needed to watch my power consumption and run the genset, plan on when we need hot water, make water, etc. We typically showered on the boat and he just took his rain gear if it was rough to stay dry. I did have a bike that I could dinghy in and go places but it is a hassle. If it's rough everything gets wet and bringing supplies, doing laundry, everything requires you use the dinghy. And sometimes the dinghy didn't cooperate! But I really liked the privacy, swinging with the wind, watching the sky.

We moved to the dock last May and it is much easier but of course you pay for that. Readily available electricity is nice and even nicer to run the AC in Florida. Plus I can have full time Internet for work and entertainment. No more dinghy rides, he can just walk to the truck. Easy to get to stores and get it to the boat. My bike is on the dock so I can easily get around. Unlimited water access and always warm water.
It is comfortable but a tough decision to make since the cost is significant and could be used for all the upgrades we want, or retirement. I also really value my privacy which is compromised at the dock. But for now, we find it worthwhile.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 13:04   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

from 1990 when i first moved on board until 2005, when i became disabled, i lived and went to a real and totally professional intensive care nursing career. some times i was management, no problems. there is no magical change about living on a boat vs living in land. you are still you ,and you are still going to remain you. you just live in a different kind of house with different regulations and customs.
yes i commuted from mooring, anchor and dock. preferred moooring for security and peace of mind in bad holding situations.
have fun.

oh yeah, now that i am disabled, since 2005, i continue to reside aboard and cruise. as i said, there is nothing that changes whenye change type of residency. you choose to make the changes or ye would not have come onto the carousel. you are still you. ye just live different. as for not taking of showers-- marinas provide land showers, so no excuses there, and many mooring tenants have access to showers. anchor outs find showers in municipal pools and in hospital on call rooms they demand as benefit, and get, when residing on board and need to be on call. good privilege. i had one for 3 1/2 years in downtown lost angels , my last few years working. many perks for nursees then.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 13:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Though in IT, which luckily means I can look like I fell out of a bush and no-one cares. Though that isn't really related to living on a boat .

As a side note I used to shower once a day on land, and have switched it to every 2 - 3 days since living aboard and my hair and skin looks so much better and less greasy!
Yes, IT is lucky that way. We are almost expected to look a certain way. I've been in meetings dressed nice and folks keep asking when the software consultant is going to show up.

When I stayed with friends for 3 weeks on their 50 ft cat, although at a marina, I also showered less. I was amazed how I didn't really need a shower every day. Although my friends would bust me up about not taking a shower, I 'think' they were just kidding me.

- Ray
~ Following Cs~
Old 12-11-2015, 13:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
With a 44 foot Cat, you're probably very well set as far as what you'll have at your immediate disposal.
I should have been a bit more specific. The boat in question is actually a 50 ft cat, so plenty of room and amenities on board, including full galley-down.

Thanks for the input.

- Ray
~ Following Cs ~
Old 12-11-2015, 13:15   #8

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

We have been doing this for 20 years, both in and out of marinas. Living in Darwin, had to take into account the 8m tides, so you sometimes spent more time at the yacht club bar until the dinghy had enough water. We were a 2 dinghy family as both originally worked professional careers with different hours. First yachts no shower so used the club, now boat shower is preferred to Marina. Apart from the wet season, there is something about facing the day, coffee in hand, watching the morning waters. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-11-2015, 13:18   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've never gone to work from a house so I might not have much to compare, but my wife and I drove to work from our boat for 30 years and for twenty of those same years we were packing children to day care or their schools too. We also used to lug ice aboard for about 20 years we spent without refrigeration. We were always in mild Florida winters and, as school teachers, we cruised the Bahamas or Keys in the summers.

No work or cars for us since 2002, but it was easy when we did it!
Old 12-11-2015, 13:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I fit the OP description exactly, live onboard in a marina and it works fine for me (quite a few of my neighbours are in the same situation).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 13:30   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Yes, IT is lucky that way. We are almost expected to look a certain way. I've been in meetings dressed nice and folks keep asking when the software consultant is going to show up.
Putting on a pair of long trousers this morning for the first time in months - I've got a meeting with some overseas bigwigs

But I'm still going to wear a polo shirt - I haven't worn a tie for years
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 13:37   #12

Boat: Leopard 40

I work remotely. Visiting the office next week and I will have to wear close-toed shoes instead of my usual flops. I am preparing my feet and they are acting like I wrapped them in insufferable bondage.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 14:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I haven't worn a tie for years
Tie? Isn't that some nautical thingy one does?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 01:33   #14

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

i love demolition cos of the dress code - i can roll out of my hammock get dressed and just go doesn't really matter what i look like and wearing rigging boots is much the same as wearing Dubarry boots but Dubarry boots are way comfyer

just the cost of the marina mooring that i hate £6k per annum - owch but the services are spot on and those that have their boats near mine seem to like the extra layer of security when they aren't there.

but other than that it's like living in a house with a sea view for one heck of a lot less than a house costs - i like my sea view too much
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 06:54   #15
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Main difference, if you're driving you need a reliable car. No room for repairs at the parking lot

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum