Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2015, 10:49   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Live-Aboards that Commute To Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Looking for any live aboard's that actually get in a car and drive to a job... I wouldn't be putting on a suit or anything, business casual would be the most dressy. The job would be something technical, either software development or consulting...

Ray
~future s/v Following Cs ~
I'm an IT consultant and pretty much fit the profile having lived on-board a 35' mono-hull for few years... I think the biggest help for me was establishing a routine... it was a hassle to go up the ramp only to realize I forgot something. Although I occasionally shower on-board, our marina has nice clean showers and that is important to me. I got accustomed to shopping such that I often carry few packages up or down the ramp... good to have large rip resistant (like the big blue Ikea) bags. Having solid safe steps on/off the boat are important. I have two propane tanks so that when one goes empty there is a backup on-board and I monitor fresh water level so I don't have to refill in the dark and rain.

Old 13-11-2015, 11:41   #17

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Get a membership to a local gym with nice showers and storage. Keep work clothes there... go to gym get a quick work out in, shower and head off to work. Reverse after work.

Old 14-11-2015, 05:59   #18

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

The key consideration is security. Our yacht's at a marina within the city of Honolulu. The place is fenced and gated with a 24/7 security guard. We chose this marina because island traffic is so bad, commuting into the city from more desirable marinas is not realistic.

We chose a slip that's as far away and upwind from the yard as possible, which can sometimes be a challenge when it's time for the morning constitutional!
Old 14-11-2015, 09:16   #19

Usually we work from the boat but I've done a few months here and there where I drive in.

Yes, you still need to take a shower. The office will know if you don't.

If we are going to be somewhere longer term, we find one with nice shower facilities.

Otherwise, nothing unusual about commuting from a marina.
Old 14-11-2015, 14:39   #20

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
I work remotely. Visiting the office next week and I will have to wear close-toed shoes instead of my usual flops. I am preparing my feet and they are acting like I wrapped them in insufferable bondage.
I know exactly how you feel. I laid out for a year bumming around, never wore shoes. I got a contract job in Chicago in August. After two days in business shoes, I couldn't hardly walk. I had to wear tennis shoes for 3 or 4 weeks before trying to put on business shoes. Young techie firm, they didn't really care what I wore.
Old 14-11-2015, 15:02   #21

My current manufacturing client unbelievably has a dress code. I'd prefer flip flops but settled on casual shoes. Eventually someone mentioned that I could only wear those on Fridays so I replied that I have a medical condition... thank you HIPAA end of conversation. BTW HIPAA covers mental conditions too, so you can just say "I'm a liveaboard sailor"
Old 14-11-2015, 15:56   #22

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
My current manufacturing client unbelievably has a dress code. I'd prefer flip flops but settled on casual shoes. Eventually someone mentioned that I could only wear those on Fridays so I replied that I have a medical condition... thank you HIPAA end of conversation. BTW HIPAA covers mental conditions too, so you can just say "I'm a liveaboard sailor"
LoL, your manufacturing client is probably not domestic I'm guessing.
Old 14-11-2015, 16:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
LoL, your manufacturing client is probably not domestic I'm guessing.
They are just old school... I haven't worked with a dress code (other than steel toed boots, ear, and eye protection) for 20 years.
Old 14-11-2015, 16:32   #24

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

We left the dock to cruise in 2010. I worked the previous 30 years either at a clients office or from the boat. I've known many working live aboards during that 30 years that commuted daily in suits or pant suits for the ladies. I think that's the norm for working live aboards.
Old 14-11-2015, 17:57   #25

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

The problem is the stink. No matter how much you believe our boat does not have a smell, I assure you it does. It's not always a bad smell but there is one.

It gets into your clothing and when you go to work (especially if you fly to work and live in a hotel) you very quickly realize how badly your clothes can stink like your boat.

So, I have mine dry cleaned on a regular basis and keep them in plastic until needed.
Old 14-11-2015, 19:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The problem is the stink. No matter how much you believe our boat does not have a smell, I assure you it does. It's not always a bad smell but there is one.

It gets into your clothing and when you go to work (especially if you fly to work and live in a hotel) you very quickly realize how badly your clothes can stink like your boat.

So, I have mine dry cleaned on a regular basis and keep them in plastic until needed.
I just tell everyone it's the pine tar, breadfruit, rum, and black powder stored below deck
Old 15-11-2015, 17:02   #27

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Thanks for all the feedback. The job search begins just in case my current company doesn't like my working from home.

~Following C's~

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-11-2015, 17:29   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Decades ago (late 70s?) I went to visit a friend in St. Augustine. I strolled down to the city marina one day about 5:00. As I was standing there admiring the boats, two attractive young ladies came walking down the dock.
They looked like bank tellers or legal secretaries or some such, the only relatively unusual thing was that they were both in slacks, and both wore boat shoes.
They walked down to what I would now describe as about 12' of dory, equipped with a nice set of wood oars but no motor.
They hopped in the dory and one lady rowed out and dropped off the other lady at an anchored sailboat, then rowed over to her own boat. I remember thinking "How cool is that!".
That was probably the ruination of any land based life for me.
Old 15-11-2015, 21:19   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

I agree that this smell problem is common, but it doesn't have to be a condition of living aboard.

Diesel: It only smells if you have a leak.... fix it!

Mold & Mildew: Keep your portlights, hatches and through deck fittings sealed. Ventilate to prevent condensation. Use "Damp-Rid bags or other mildew control chemicals in closed spaces.

Pets: Avoid them! ...or accept the smell.

Head: Keep updated quality sanitation hose. Keep an aerated holding tank to promote aerobic bacteria. Flush thoroughly and add a little vinegar.

Launder your fabrics regularly and keep the galley clean.

Ventilate! Run a fan and an air filter!

We've been living aboard for 44 years,- we know what stinks and you can have a good smelling boat!
Old 16-11-2015, 15:20   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I agree that this smell problem is common, but it doesn't have to be a condition of living aboard.
Mold & Mildew: Keep your portlights, hatches and through deck fittings sealed. Ventilate to prevent condensation. Use "Damp-Rid bags or other mildew control chemicals in closed spaces.
we know what stinks and you can have a good smelling boat!
I installed a small heat rod in my hanging locker with a timer that cost ~$4 from home depot and set it to come on 4 times a day for 1/2 hour

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: