Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2012, 18:25   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee, MS 43'
Re: Live aboard w/medical condition

Not sure how that's going to go. At this time she is on an oral medication, not doing as well as we hoped. Looks like she may have to go back on infusions. We don't know how that would play out over seas.
DaveWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 18:32   #32

Cross that bridge when you come to it, Dave. Lots to see and do cruising the coast of the US, Canada, Bahamas, and coming back (via airplane if necessary) for medical visits.

The other half of our equation, is that spouse is 6 years cancer-free. We sail in celebration...
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 18:43   #33

First off. Congradulations, I am sure healthy living and low stress help. That is a good idea to stay close to the US for awhile. I was wondering about medical in Canada. I am fron the UK wife from US, when on vacation one time she had to visit a doctor in the UK. There was no charge, it could be that is normal or because I came from a small town and spent half of her appointment reminising with the doctor. He remembered me from when I was a school boy.
Old 20-08-2012, 18:45   #34
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalter View Post
"Adapt and Overcome" I think that's somebodie's motto. It is a good philosophy for life, and cruising.

"Adapt and overcome" is the motto of a group of men and women who are not damaged in any way and who can safely go to the absolute limit. And the "adapt" they mean is not the "adapt" I need.

I can adapt. I can't overcome. I can't make it go away, and I ignore the real truth of my limitations at my peril. When I over-do, I can barely walk the next day.

This is also true of at least some people with MS. Someone close to me has MS, and someone even closer to me may have it. You have to respect the MS. It's all about adapting.

By respecting my limitations I have expanded what I can do, but it isn't about "overcoming" the CP I have. It's all about learning to live with it.

One day I hauled my anchor up four times when I was out by myself and the engine gave out. But I did it very carefully. I compensate for my weak, stiff and clumsy legs with my upper back. If I sprain my back, I would have to move off the boat.

By being careful and respecting my limits, I have been able to do more than I ever imagined, but it's still all about being aware of what my limits are.

This is why I don't race. I'm not going to race my boat, and it's not smart for me to try to move quickly around someone else's boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 18:50   #35
cruiser

Quote:
First off. Congradulations, I am sure healthy living and low stress help. That is a good idea to stay close to the US for awhile. I was wondering about medical in Canada. I am fron the UK wife from US, when on vacation one time she had to visit a doctor in the UK. There was no charge, it could be that is normal or because I came from a small town and spent half of her appointment reminising with the doctor. He remembered me from when I was a school boy.

Dave, when I was in Scotland I slipped on a VERY small patch of ice and ended up with a concussion. I went to the ER and there was no charge to me. I fell on their land and they took care of me. I had insurance but there was not any place to pay.

I was very impressed.

I was in Canada once when my eustacian tube to my ear closed up. Had to see a doctor there, again, no charge. I have no family ties to either country.

How those countries would react to a more chronic condition I'm not sure. But there is an awful lot of good sailing to be done in the US. Just doing the Eastern "great circle" -- up the Mississippi, across the Great Lakes and out to the occean, then south, would be quite an adventure and give you a tremendously varied number of sailing experiences.
Old 20-08-2012, 18:55   #36

Rakuflames, You have done well for yourself, getting to know your limitations and working around problems. We were the same as you, willing to pay for her treatment and no way to work with our insurance.
Old 20-08-2012, 19:24   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Rakuflames, You have done well for yourself, getting to know your limitations and working around problems. We were the same as you, willing to pay for her treatment and no way to work with our insurance.

Thanks, but the incident in Scotland showed me just how vulnerable I really was. *For me* being on the boat is an advantage. I've recently spent a month (with breaks) on someone else's boat and noticed how much more easily I moved around that boat at the end of the month than at the beginning. I think there are real advantages to being able to take your living space with you as you travel when you have some sort of physical problem. There's a guy in my sailing club who has had a major stroke. He walks with a noticeable limp and uses a cane on land but has no trouble moving around his boat. I think ('m guessing based on my personal experience) it's because he knows it so well.
Old 20-08-2012, 19:30   #38

Plan to pay for Canadian healthcare, likely similar to costs in the US. Our health care system has been eroded badly over the past decade, for residents and visitors alike.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 19:53   #39

If the Canadian health care system is similar to the UK, there is a choice of national health care, and private health care. Let me explain, Everybody pays into National health and has a National insurance #, it is available to all. However if you don't want to wait AND have the mony you can seek private health care (not covered under national insurance). If private is available would you know if the take medical insurance?
Old 20-08-2012, 20:22   #40

Yes, the Canadian system is as you describe for the UK. The question was access for a non-citizen followed by stories of folks who were treated elsewhere in years past and not charged. I think that used to happen in Canada too but not anymore. Bring cash or have insurance.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 16:39   #41

Boat: Columbia C45 45'
Re: Live Aboard w / Medical Condition

My wife's health limits us to taking short cruises and staying close to her regular medical facilities because of the meds she is on that are very restricted. So we are satisfied with only cruising for a couple of weeks at the most and returning to home port.

You can do anything to make a boat suitable to you, we had a guy pass through when we lived in Annapolis with no legs but had adapted the boat so he could handle everything without having be able to stand tall. He had a device he had made that he strapped himself into and wheeled around the boat on it. All rigging lines were handled from the cockpit.

I still remember the day a couple approached the dock from their sailboat in their dingy and turned out to be in their 80s but still sailing. They were headed back to Maine for the summer. I've always figured if that guy could do it and the couple still handled it you can adapt for anything.

Go for it because you don't want to wind up saying later man I wish I had when you can now.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 16:42   #42

Thanks for the advice. I am sure there are insurance plans out there that better than others. I have not given it much thought with regard to an international insurance plan, there must be some out there. I'm open to suggestions. Any live aboards out there with an opinion (good or bad) on international medical insurance.
Old 21-08-2012, 16:46   #43

boatingtogo. I agree with what you said. Life is too short to have regrets.
Old 21-08-2012, 22:59   #44

I have Addison's disease-my adrenal glands shut down about 24 years ago- then my thyroid gland shut off too. This is a problem if I get an injury or a cold/flu and my medication isn't strong enough to keep my body working. I can go in a coma and die if not caught in a day or two. I have emergency shots but they need a doctor to be seen after. Also,the medicine I take to keep me alive causes serious osteoporosis-despite taking medicine to help reverse it. I am quite healthy despite this but have hip and knee problems and it takes time to stand or get moving and I tip easily so I have to be extremely careful not to fall or twist wrong -(go figure-the osteoporosis drug side effect is greenstick fractures). The size of the boat (can't tip far in narrow halls) & handhold all over make it easier to move around than in a house. The boat's constant moving also gives me practice balancing which helps when I am off balance.

But I have lived aboard for almost 5 years-a year and a half cruising Mexico & the Sea of Cortez. I love living on the water-it gives me such joy! It was definitely worth the slight chance of problems. In fact I felt healthier while cruising from the exercise (balancing as the boat moves,swimming, walking, kayaking) and being in fresh air. The only issue I did find is that I couldn't get one of my medications in Mexico-it's not commonly used-so we had to stock up before leaving the US. Living aboard & cruising has been the best time of my life.

Good luck in your decision and best wishes in your journey in life.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38   #45

Boat: Catalina 27

I realize it has been a few years since this post. I'm very interested in how everything progressed. how is your wife doing? Have you made it to sea? And if so, what advise do you have. My girlfriend and i are about to leave Colorado and buy a liveaboard in Cali. She too has ms.
Soldr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medical