Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-06-2013, 14:10   #1

Live aboard in Vancouver

Hello! I'm a 30-something female, very interested in the live aboard life! I live in Vancouver, BC, and am having a hard time finding (A) a live aboard to rent and (B) a marina that allows live aboards. Since I bike commute to work, I have a small area that I can live in, but am looking at Vancouver, North Van or West Van. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on where to start looking? This has been a dream for me for over a decade but only now have I been settled in one spot and able to take it on.

Thank you!

Old 23-06-2013, 14:31   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Live aboard in Vancouver

It has been many years since I lived aboard close to Vancouver but at a point when the marina opened, Reed Point Marina near Port Moody allowed liveaboards. In addition, there was another that a friend of mine lived aboard at on the middle arm of the Fraser River. They have probably shut down living aboard in False Creek now but that used to be premium liveaboard moorage across from Sweenys' Cooperage. That was back in the 70's and 80's, I think. We were cruising in the PNW and stayed temporarily (about 2 months) aboard at Reed Point about 8-9 years ago where they had a pumpout facility at the gas dock. From what I gathered from family who still live in the area, it is now populated, governed and controlled by ultra leftwing tree hugging environentalists at the local level. These types are basically unconnected with real life in that beautiful part of the world but as long as they can stop others from enjoying it, they are happy.
You get the government you deserve, I guess... glad I left and so are those who are still there, I reckon. Phil

Old 23-06-2013, 14:46   #3

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainlax View Post
Hello! I'm a 30-something female, very interested in the live aboard life! I live in Vancouver, BC, and am having a hard time finding (A) a live aboard to rent and (B) a marina that allows live aboards. Since I bike commute to work, I have a small area that I can live in, but am looking at Vancouver, North Van or West Van. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on where to start looking? This has been a dream for me for over a decade but only now have I been settled in one spot and able to take it on.

Thank you!
A) not likely to find, at least one with a reasonable rent, that isn't a disaster waiting to happen. Much harder to steal a suite, and a simple mistake is unlikely to send the suite to the bottom.
Other reasons include cost, moorage is often as much as rent, add boat upkeep and depreciation and you're looking at close to double rent costs in the area.

B) they exist still, wait lists range from 5-28 years and costs from 12$/ft to a 55, 000$ buy in and 6$/ft per month plus utilities.

None really left in n van, except grandfathered Liveaboard slips. Mosquito creek and Lynnwood are off limits.

Sadly, capt. Phil has it right. Living aboard is being crushed here in the name of the environment.
Wrong they are, but when you feel righteous it is easy to force rules upon others despite the logic. Some Liveaboards, just like some land dwellers are indeed awful and make a mess, but the city, like most has chosen a solution grounded in feel-good principles instead of actual facts. Driving away the good ones or driving them underground.

Best look farther away(squamish, or south of the city) and increase your transport capabilities. I'd recommend a car(mobile dry storage locker). Or an e bike if storage is no issue, I love mine, though I do not buy it's environmental benefits entirely.

After the articles in the paper today, it looks like the journalists are wrecking and exposing another interesting place to live(Finn slough).

Live aboards exist, but must stay below the radar, lest the city come hunting for us in the name of the greater good (we are naturally much worse than the large luxury yachts and booze cruises that I know pump sewage overboard regularly)
Old 23-06-2013, 15:06   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Sorry to hear that my friends and family still living around the lower mainland are correct, jgbrown. We had a similar group who took over a local licensing/permitting agency near here and virtually stopped not only all development but refused to allow permits to clear your personal land of underbrush to mitigate against forest fire hazards. Five years ago, a fire swept through the area and burned out close 300 residents... the greenies left town and some didn't even pick up their final checks from the agency they worked for! Had they stayed in town, they would have been lynched! Now a more sensible force has taken over that have incorporated much more practical land management practices but it took a wholesale disaster to drive out the nutjobs.
When I lived and worked in the PNW in logging and commercial maritime jobs, we had the greatest of respect for the environment because it was our own backyard but we made our living there and didn't want to just plunder the resource but manage it so we had it for years to come. We gave up $ to make that happen but still made a decent living.
Liveaboards tend to be very self governing, keep marinas, safe, clean and inviting. From what I hear, those days are gone for ever. My grandkids wonder what went wrong... Phil
Old 27-06-2013, 16:46   #5

Thanks for your posts. This is really disappointing to hear but I guess I'm not too surprised.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: