Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 13:28   #1

Live Aboard in SW FL- Where?

We are new to the forum and are in the process of relocation to SW FL. Husband, mother, and two dogs in tow. We are looking for a condo/house with deeded dock where we can possibly live on the boat while mom and the dogs live in the condo. Any suggestions?
BKMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 13:50   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
BK, SW Florida is a beautiful area. For boating, I would want to locate in the Charlotte Harbor area. You would have a large inland bay for cruising and it isn't overly touristy. Try Punta Gorda (north), St James City and Ft Meyers Beach (south) or even head up the Caloosahatchee River to Cape Coral or Ft Meyers. Good luck.
Old 28-08-2009, 15:28   #3

Boat: 1990 Marine Trader Dbl Cabin 38
Smile Live Aboard in SW Fl-Where?

We live in Cape Coral, Fl in SW Fl. Cape Coral has the most waterfront property in SW Fl (400 miles of salt water and fresh water canals). We live in a condo with a dock (not deeded) with access without bridges. The challenge you may face living aboard in a residential neighborhood is with zoning regulations (and neighbors) whether a condo or a house - maybe not, just an observation. If you want more info on the area, contact us off-line, we'd be happy to help. Gina
S/R Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 10:34   #4

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog
Greeting to all and Merry Christmas!!!
Here's the scenario; I live in So. Cal and have a 30 ft Trimaran. I am wanting to relocate to the west coast of Florida and I am considering the different areas.
1-St.Petersburg/Tampa Bay
2-Ft. Meyers
3-Charlotte harbor area
4-Naples

I would be looking to come over and get set up workwise and acclimate to the area and then be looking to sail my boat through the canal and over to Florida. BIG BIG undertaking I know! I could of course sell my Trimaran over here and then buy another boat in Florida. Of course I would want another Trimaran. Also I would like to be fairly close to the open water. I use my boat alot and would not want to have to motorsail for miles just to get out into the gulf.

I would like to hear from some of you that are living in these areas on your boat or on land in regards to available moorings or anchoring spots or even a slip. Of course low cost/cheap is priority. I know there are issues with anchoring, hurricanes, bugs..etc. ect. but that will not deter me. I am originally from Savannah GA and Charleston SC.
Sorry to make this post so lenthy. I look forward to hearing from you all

Thank you for your input.
Kelly.
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 13:47   #5

Kelly:

Since we last posted, we have moved aboard our boat in a marina in Cape Coral. For us, it's about 7-8 miles to the Gulf via the Caloosahatchee River (about 1 mile wide). If you are looking for close Gulf access, you will be much more limited in your search. You may have to rule out Charlotte Harbor and Fort Myers. However, Fort Myers Beach comes to mind as far as mooring buoys (owned by the Town of Ft. Myers Beach and operated by Matanzas Pass Inn).

Are you planning on living aboard? If so, then I'd suggest that you focus on marinas where you can live aboard.
Old 22-12-2009, 15:04   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
How are those home prices in Ft Myers/Cape Coral ?

Has the bottom been reached yet?

I looked down there, at the peak of the Bubble....
Old 22-12-2009, 15:58   #7

I guess they have peaked; the local newspaper reported this morning that sales price have increased. Sales have been strong but until lately, prices were going down.
Old 22-12-2009, 16:02   #8

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog
Hello S/R Smith;

Thanks for the reply.
I am not planning to live aboard right away but perhaps down the road. I dont think being 5-10 miles upriver would be too bad. I just want to be able to doing some day sails with some long weekend trips thrown in periodically.

Kelly.
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 16:53   #9

Kelly:

In our area, there are mooring buoys at Ft. Myers Beach (as noted in prior post), and in downtown Ft. Myers (about 12 miles from the Gulf); As for marinas, there are some in Ft. Myers Beach, Cape Coral and Fort Myers. Liveaboards are much fewer - the ones I am aware of are: Ft. Myers Beach Marina, Cape Coral Yacht Basin (where we are located), Legacy Marina (50 ft. minimum), Ft. Myers Yacht Basin and Marinatown (N. Ft. Myers).

Hope this helps.
Old 23-12-2009, 09:37   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelldog View Post
Hello S/R Smith;

Thanks for the reply.
I am not planning to live aboard right away but perhaps down the road. I dont think being 5-10 miles upriver would be too bad. I just want to be able to doing some day sails with some long weekend trips thrown in periodically.

Kelly.
Kelly, We live on the east side of Tampa Bay and love the area. We are 15 minutes from good sailing in the Bay and about 20 miles to Gulf of Mexico. Tampa Bay itself is great day sailing and offers several nice anchorages for overnight mini cruises. Real estate prices are at historic lows due to numerous foreclosures so timing is good.

Tampa/St Pete is a large area with many industries. In normal times, there are lots of job opportunities, but undemployment is high right now.