Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 12:28   #1

live aboard in seattle area

I am considering going back to school for my masters at UW and am considering it as a ways to purchase a sailboat and live aboard while working and going to schoo. Does anyone know of nearby marinas that allow live aboards? I have also heard there are upcoming laws that may affect live aboards, any info would be helpful, thanks.
barreldriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 20:45   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Living aboard here in the winters is a hard life unless the boat is of substantial size to stay warm and dry. I'd rather camp out under a freeway overpass then try to manage anything under 36'.

Any clothes, fabrics and papers that is left aboard smaller boats during the winters ends up moldy. Dehumidification is a must for most who take care of their boats.

As for Marina's for liveaboards; up in Everett, in the South Sound or across the Sound. But not likely close to the U dub. Especially not the Lakes. And the houseboats you see on the Lakes are grandfathered in. Although, I'm sure there are a few liveaboards that are there illegally.
Old 24-08-2008, 21:44   #3

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
I seems to me from what I've gathered over the last 30 years that there are numerous liveaboard opportunities around. Google & contact Shilshole Bay Marina or Elliot Bay Marina both about 25 minute bike ride mostly on a good bike trail. I think one of them used to allow liveaboards. 48 North is the local free sailors rag and is very helpful, google them and write a letter to the editor with your query, if published you will reach alot of people, if not contact the editor and you'll likely be helped. Also, around Lake Union and Portage Bay, a 5-25 minute bike ride, there are many mom & pop house boats that could have liveaboard moorages I would walk/bike/poke around those bodies of water on a weekend and talk to who ever looks promising. You will get some leads and spend a nice day or two "gunkholing" some of the interesting back waters there. There also is a Nothwest Marine Trade Industy organization that probably has a listing of member marinas. There are many smaller marinas other than the 2 I listed above and I am sure some allow liveaboards. Good luck
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle