Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 16:51   #1

Live Aboard in Hawaii ... (MISERABLE, help? :-)

Ok, so after reading all of the bad press about sailing in Hawaii I knew this was going to be a challenge from the start. I did NOT realize it would be SUCH a challenge...

I am the new owner of a 45' Bruce Edwards ketch which I purchased in KoOlina last year... Regardless of what I've read on the forums, KoOlina is VERY NICE... The challenge is the owner is NOT very nice to live aboards, ("scum of the earth" was a quote I heard personally) and they do not accept pets. My Golden "Francis" was shocked... :-)

That left me with what I think are two options for Oahu... Ala Wai, (I'm there now but there's a 4 month limit and I'm coming close to needing to move) and Keehi State... I AM on a waiting list which I THINK might pan out, but the marina is SOOOOO terribly bad... Meth and other drugs are rampant... People come steal anything metal off your boat if you're not there... I heard a gun shot the last time I drove thru... Ala Wai is not so good in this respect, but at least I haven't been robbed/shot yet...

I am still getting my sea legs with this boat, and I'm single handed.... Now that won't stop me from going ANYWHERE in the islands where I think I might have a better solution???

Sorry for the rant, but does anyone know of a place to dock which will allow a dog and not have me fending off meth addicts on a regular basis?

I'm thinking about heading back to the West coast, but it's a damned rough trip from what I hear and I am not qualified yet to do it...

I've also heard about some folks who have a permanent slip in Ala Wai who will take cash to allow it's use... I'm GREAT with that, (I pay $800~ mth now, what a little more? but HOW would I find someone willing to do such?

Open to ANY IDEAS???

THANKS!!! -John
JKEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 16:56   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Maybe hire or fly in a competent skipper to help you move her to the west coast? Will give you some sea time and some instruction?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 17:06   #3

Re: Live aboard in Hawaii... (MISERABLE, help? :-)

It's a great idea, but so far I'm hearing $5k~ plus expenses.... It'll be a year~ until I can save up that much... By then I'll likely sell the boat and buy something somewhere which is a little more boater friendly...

If I move, I'm going to make my way back to the Caribbean... I keep hearing really REALLY bad things about a run from Hawaii to Panama...

Bringing on a Captain is definitely an option, but not something I'm capable of doing in the immediate future due to finances...
Old 21-03-2012, 17:23   #4

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Have you investigated Haleiwa Harbor? It gets a lot of swell during the winter but it's pretty quiet and mellow up there, plus I hear it's pretty cheap (by Hawaiian standards). I've never moored up there but a buddy who was at Ko'Olina moved there to save some $$.

Another place to check out is the state operated mooring area in Kaneohe Bay. We had an opportunity to moor our boat there but decided against it. You'd probably have to join Kaneohe Yacht Club to gain access to showers but the total cost will probably be the same as a slip at K.O.

Also don't forget Pokai Bay near Waianae. The slips were falling apart the last time I checked but you may luck out and find one there.

Last suggestion is to go to Hilo. The folks there are super friendly and back when we were looking it was super cheap. If you're not a seasoned islands sailor the trip there may be a bit more of a challenge than you're ready for though.

This is all assuming you don't need to work. If you do, your options are pretty much the Ala Wai and Ke'ehi Lagoon.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 17:33   #5

Haleiwa as DEFINITELY on my list, I can deal with rocking and rolling and I LOVE the area... I went up there two weeks ago and they indicated no more live aboards, and no pets... (Two strikes for me...)

Kaneohe would also be GREAT... BUT... No live aboard status and no pets...

Ok, now I was in Hilo last week looking around... I couldn't find anything that looked remotely feasible...

One marina, there was a 14' bridge in the way... No live aboards that I can find on line...

I checked Kona too... Same situation... No live aboards... (Too bad, I LOVED the area... )

Work is not an issue, I work from the boat remotely... I would very much prefer power and a land line but I can make my own power and if the cell coverage is decent I can work off the cellular IP...

I'm about as flexible as flexible gets... I just need a place to chill which does toss me too and fro on a regular basis...

Cash isn't a HUGE issues, I'll PAY... This is crazy in my mind, why is Hawaii so inflexible?

-John
Old 21-03-2012, 17:35   #6

I just re-read your post and had forgot about Pokai bay... It's rough and tumble over there for a howlie but I'd be open to it if they were cool with the pup and staying aboard... I'm betting the native Hawaiians might be safer then the druggies... I'll check it out next time West...
Old 21-03-2012, 19:31   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Here in Hilo there are no liveaboards but the mooring rates are a dollar a foot per month on your own mooring. Apply for a mooring now. You could rent a room somewhere for you and your dog and still have money leftover.
There are many sailors here in Hawaii who could help you sail back for less than what you'd pay to fly someone in.
I forgot to add that the holding ground for moorings requires constant monitoring.
kind regards,
Old 21-03-2012, 19:50   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Sounds like a good time to set sail for the south Pacific. Head south for the Marquesas and on to points west that are more user friendly. For the money you are paying for mooring, you could cruise on board your yacht.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 21:08   #9

Ok, so thanks both for the suggestions to setup shop in Hilo as well as heading to the Marquesas/Tahiti...

Both are an option under the right circumstance... I REALLY MISS the Caribbean... But, I hear great things about points West/South...

I still work, and I'm slaved to Eastern time.... So West is MUCH harder than East for me until I retire... (10~ years)

Hilo... If I could find a place for $500~ a month I'd probably come out ahead....
I'd sure as hell miss living on my boat however, but it's an option!

As long as I'm entertaining living off the boat.. Is there another place in the islands where I might find reasonable accommodations and still float my boat reasonably?

I am VERY flexible... Prefer less people vs more, and less "fru fru" vs more...

I have very little expectations aside from not having to anchor in the rocking and rolling open water so I can work regularly...

Thanks!!! -John
Old 22-03-2012, 03:19   #10

@JKEMP - I'm not sure how rigorously they enforce the "no live-aboards" rule in K-bay, Haleiwa and Pokai Bay. If you've been in Hawaii for any period of time, you probably know what I mean.

Quote:
Prefer less people vs more, and less "fru fru" vs more...
Then Hilo is what you're looking for. Big Island is the last refuge of "old Hawaii" and Hilo is its capital. Still lots of aloha there. Prices for everything, from papaya to houses, are probably the lowest in Hilo. The only negatives about Hilo are the rain and lack of jobs, but if you are bringing your own work you are set.

@SkprJohn - I wonder if we've met before. My wife and I were tied up in Radio Bay (waiting for a new rudder) about 12 years ago when the good folks in Hilo were just starting a sailing club?
Old 22-03-2012, 04:14   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

What about hauling ashore and living aboard - until your name comes up on somewhere afloat? Or rent small / basic accomdation ashore (1 room?) for the "home" address, and simply spend "a lot of time" aboard. The dog thing sounds the biggest (visible!) problem.....do you know any Korean people who would like to adopt?

Or maybe start smoking Meth?....so you fit in with da locals..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 06:13   #12

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKEMP View Post
... It's rough and tumble over there for a howlie ...

I'm betting the native Hawaiians might be safer then the druggies... ...
I wouldn't count on that.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 07:08   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ya looked at Maui ? maybe Hana? many years ago we spent some time there ! and theres some good anchorages there also ! altho I don't know the current rules and regs in the Islands anymore, as its been a long time since Connie and I were there! just a thought, Im sure some of the folks on here can tell ya tho ! hope ya find a place for you and your dog !!
Old 22-03-2012, 08:21   #14

Only two harbors I'm aware of on Maui are Kahalui and Maalaea. Maalaea is packed with day charter boats and the last I checked had a very long waiting list. No idea what the deal is up at Kahalui. Are they letting boats moor in Hana bay now? Wasn't aware of that.

Although I listed Pokai Bay as a possibility, on second thought it's probably not a very good location for a visiting Haole. You will find good people everywhere you go, it's just that the "wild west" side of O'ahu got it's name for a good reason. The bay is a nice spot to drop your anchor for a couple of days but you may not be very comfortable living there.
Old 22-03-2012, 11:33   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Prof Mariner,

"@SkprJohn - I wonder if we've met before. My wife and I were tied up in Radio Bay (waiting for a new rudder) about 12 years ago when the good folks in Hilo were just starting a sailing club?"

I do believe so.

kind regards,

Tags
hawaii