Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 20:37   #1

Live-Aboard Hawaii

Hey Cruiser Forum
I'm looking to get a sailboat (around 25-30 feet or so) in Oahu, HI. I've been searching around the internet, a few different brokers, craigslist, ect, but not much luck...Does anybody else know where might be a good source for sailboats 10,000$ and under. I figure there's got to be somewhere good, either online or in person, cause I feel like I'm somehow missing out on a gem. Any suggestions? Thanks!
makeurself145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 20:40   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Live-Aboard Hawaii

As for live aboard in HI. Good luck with that. It's hard just to get a slip or even anchorage.
Old 25-11-2012, 20:51   #3

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Some people may be quick to point out that what may be missing is another zero. but with boats, it's not always about monetary value. I've noticed that some boats seem to take on lives of themselves and sheer monetary value doesn't really matter. What's often important for a person who has had their dreams fulfilled is to pass a boat along to another person who can keep the dream alive. A 90 year old man once gave me his priceless schooner. Boats seem to appear and disappear according to one's position in life. My guess is that there are many boats along the eastern shore of the United States that are in good need of love, care and repair. Your boat's out there.
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 05:02   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
As for live aboard in HI. Good luck with that. It's hard just to get a slip or even anchorage.
I think this is your first move to secure a guaranteed location in writing with ownership before purchasing the boat. 10K is very possible just depends on what you want. Many folks are doing liveaboards on boats I could not, 27' and below. Obviously the selection in Hawaii is limited as compared to the East Coast so prices will be higher out there.

But the issue in Hawaii is a slip and/or mooring - not boat from what I have read on this site and other sites.

http://cruisinglealea.com/home.html These folks may be able to give you some guidance.

Good Luck and let us know if you have success with either, slip/mooring and boat
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 11:09   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Try La Marianna on Sand Island access road. They allow liveaboards. You might be surprised at the listings on a bulletin board or whoever you might talk to at the bar. Walk the docks at Ala Wai Yacht basin but be aware that the state does not allow transfer of slips with transfer of ownership. You might get around that by making a deal with the current owner.
Craigslist, bulletin boards and the local Yacht brokers are the only way to keep up with the boats for sale. If you are military then check at the marinas at the local bases, i. e. Kaneohe, Hickam/Pearl.
Ko'Olina has high prices.
kind regards,
Old 26-12-2012, 19:47   #6

ebay has a bunch of low coast boats i got a 33' cheoy lee there for $4000.
Paul Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 23:04   #7

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Don't go to a Cadillac dealer looking for a bargain on a Cadillac. Check the ford store, cause they don't want it.

Don't look around cruiser areas of Hawaii for a deal on a sailboat. Not likely to happen.

Get to odd places and look around.

Tags
hawaii