Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18   #31

Boat: Chaparral Signature 260
Re: Live Aboard Group Investment Opportunity

Hello GathHill, I fully understand and appreciate your concerns and input. My reasoning behind being less then forth coming on location, is simple. I am attempting to protect the location from those whom would surely scoop it up, from those of us that aren't financially able to come up with the full price on our own. I'm not hiding anything nor is there anything in it for me, financially or otherwise. I am not a property broker nor associated with any sort of business that has any such association with sales or construction of resorts or any other property investments. I am a 55 year old single male, with a love of the sea a boat that spends to much time on a trailer and strong desire to enjoy an environment and lifestyle I feel is both healthy and fun for all. I am fully aware of all the scams out there. I wish I could just scoop this place up and then follow up on the dream. But I can't do so on my own. I need help with both the financial end and the arrangements needed to complete such a project. Logic tells me, I can't be the only one interested, in a place I could keep my boat, live on it if I wish, have friends and neighbors to share and enjoy life with, all for a reasonable price in one of the most beautiful places in the country. The possibilities of this particular property are endless. My personal desires are simple. Please note that when I call it a private community, I am not suggesting the typical gated community in any sense of the imagination. I too have my issues with how many are run. That isn't at least in my mind what I am thinking when I make the reference " private ". I am suggesting private as in, one could rest assure their property and piece of mind is calmed knowing those involved have their best interest in mind. Private as in you could travel and not worry about your personal processions while away, we as a community would all help to keep and eye on and look after each others best interest. As mentioned, the property has many possibilites. It could have a few homes on it, a few very well thought out pads for campers, it could have several nice picnic areas, it already has a private beach that appears to stretch at least as long as a football field are more. An L shaped dock that could be added onto, for more slips, the protection of being on the bay yet on a well cared for deep slue, allowing large yachts to be slipped. It already has a very nicely laid out drive way with circular drive, it's gated and fenced. All amenities that if one had to finance them today would surely run into the several hundred thousand dollar mark. So0 as it stands I see huge potential for this property. I'd be happy with a nice slip, a decent BBQ area and laundry facility. All located in a secure area, which it is. But if one attempts to purchase a slip, alone you're talking close to 100K and that's all you get. So why not go a few more bucks and get real bang for your buck? That's where I am on things, I hope this helps a little. I'm Cajun thus I love good food, good folks and love to spend time hearing and telling stories. If I didn't truly think this is a viable opportunity and a win win for everyone, I would not suggest it at all. I hope this helps a little in giving a bit more of an impression of who I am and why I wish to put this group together. Thanks for your interest. Have a great weekend!
Signature 260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:46   #32

Hello AvB3, I trust your weekend started out well. It was 70 here this morning, a nice change. To answer your question, best i can. You are correct, it could be done anywhere, and if the property were to be scooped up, prior to putting a group together, yes we could surely find another location. I agree and fully understand your reasoning. Currently I must admit, the property I am hoping we can call our own, is still available. It is unbelievable, you'll have to trust me on that one. I've traveled the country and haven't seen many places at all that come close in location, beauty or functionality. Without input from others at this point, I'll attempt to give an idea of what I see as one of the available opportunities concerning the property mentioned. Since it already has a very well laid out entry way, gated and electronic, and circular drive at end of drive way or street if you will, that too is an expense we would not have, to deal with. I see adding boat slips, laundry facility, community activity center, showers and BBQ areas. I see some whom may wish to put in a pad for their campers, with well thought out design compliments, shrubs and walkways and in keeping with tropical scheme of the area, it would not resemble a trailer park or typical camp ground. I also see others that may wish to construct a home. As for how I feel it would best be managed, that's simple, it would be managed by all investors, with a plan we all agreed on. It could be broke up into sections and or managed as a whole. I won't claim to know all the legal aspects of such an agreement. I hope we'll have an attorney in the group that can guide us in the right direction, if needed. It would be setup in a way that anyone that wishes to sell their property and or share would be able to do so. Surely we may wish to ask that anyone interested in doing so allows others in the community be given first option. These are issues we can discus and decide on once we've formed a group ready to proceed as such. Again, my concept is open to discussion and along with all interested parties, a final decision can be made. I trust this helps a little. Although, I realize many details haven't yet been mentioned. It's not easy to give answers until one has all the facts to draw on. So for now, forming a group that wishes to cover the details together is really where I am, at this time! I'm very easy to get along with and willing to do as much of the leg work and organizational work as possible. I plan to make another road trip in a week or so, I'll take photos of the place and have them available, for viewing. I do have a link that gives a lot of information including location. I also have the birds eye view and once you see it, I think much of what I've tried to describe will surely become clearer to envision. Once we put a group together I'll be ready and willing to share the photos, and location and price with everyone. Again, please understand the only reason I don't do so now is to protect it, as much as I can, from being scooped up by some investment group that doesn't share our vision. Have a great weekend. I hope this helped a little!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13   #33

Ok, I hope I've at least answered some of the questions, many have raised. Please feel free to voice your concerns, opinions and suggestions. I'll put a few photos, property layout and structured plan up, for everyone to look over. I hadn't really considered all the specifics. But maybe I need to, do a better job of explaining the concepts I had in mind! Thanks everyone for your interest and input. Have a great weekend!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:55   #34

Hello Perchance,

Sounds like a good idea. Do you mean, attempt to sell shares? I would need to have already purchased the property to do that. I haven't so, am I missing something. Please, help me understand what you mean. Thank you and thanks for your interest and input. Have a great weekend!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00   #35

First of all, if this place you found is so great, someone with money would have already "snatched it up” and developed it. There is a reason it isn’t already developed. There may be zoning restrictions that will prohibit the type of development you are describing. As far as community like you are describing, just letting everyone come up with their input and somehow evolve it into a plan everyone is in agreement with is very unlikely. I have a property in a resort community with an active homeowners association and I have to say, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s not about too much intrusion into my life or telling me what I can or can not do with my property. Quite the opposite. It’s about holding all the owners to a standard so the place looks clean and proper. When I drive into the resort, there is nothing along the way that is going to irritate me such as someone rebuilding a car in their driveway, a pink house, RV parked with flat tires etc. Get the picture? The idea sounds great but from what I have read, you have no experience with something like this and it is just some fairy tale fantasy. Sorry but as they say in the shark tank, “I’m out”.
Dakota450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:19   #36

To All: My concept is this. We form a collective investment group. We purchase the property or another property, if the one I have in mind is no longer available. The intended, property already has paved, well layout road and circular drive, electricity, electronic gate, fenced, dock, beach, located in Florida, Gulf Coast, on Emerald Coast Line area. Thus as it sits, with very little additional investment, it could be upgraded, to meet several different formats. It could be turned into a very nice open air, live aboard community with it's own entry, dock slips and beach with laundry facility, showers, wash down area, BBQ & community center. This would leave more then 9/10th of the land untouched. Are the land could be cut into lots, for structures, camper pads, storage building areas for tools etc... all of coarse designed to blend and compliment the land and it's beauty. I have no interest in a trailer park type setup or your typical camper park. My vision is in keeping within it's environmental beauty and importance. I'm a firm believer that less is more. The property is listed a little over 2 million. It is possible they will take less. If the group splits it evenly or according to the needs and financial ability of each member, we're talking between 125K to 255K averages, if split between 12 investors. Now with this in mind, try going out and buying a slip. I know in Charleston they go for an average of 90K and you own the slip, nothing more. I know in the area I'm talking about in Florida they go for much more, and again that's what ya get, a boat slip, period! Now why would anyone buy a boat slip for 90K when they could spend 125K and have a place to live year round, a nice private secure place to park, in a nice neighborhood on the bay away from the currents and high winds and tidal issues, one deals with at most marinas. Not to mention an extremely quite area with a bike trail, near by marsh park that is less then a blocks walk away and you're close enough to walk to the grocery stores only a few blocks away, yet not a single high rise in site, not a gas station or highway in sight or hear shot away. Now seriously is this not a perfect place to spend time on the water, keep your boat, retire ? I can assure you this one is gonna be hard to beat!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:43   #37

Boat: grampian 26

[QUOTE=Signature 260;1005370]Hello Perchance,

Sounds like a good idea. Do you mean, attempt to sell shares? I would need to have already purchased the property to do that. I haven't so, am I missing something. Please, help me understand what you mean. Thank you and thanks for your interest and input. Have a great weekend![/QU

If you ask a knowledgeable Realtor they should be able to explain Optioning better than I.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:47   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature 260 View Post
.............. But if one attempts to purchase a slip, alone you're talking close to 100K and that's all you get. So why not go a few more bucks and get real bang for your buck? T..............!
There are lots of slips in Florida that are way less than 100K. That is not a great comparison. You can get a good selection for 29-55K in the Tampa Bay area. With amenities.

Here is one of the more expensive ones.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:57   #39

Hello Perchance, Thank you, good idea. I've been doing a little research into how to best handle the project. I appreciate your input and interest. I'll post some overheads and photos with additional information soon. Those interested, please check back for more information. Food for thought: The property appears to be setup ( 6 lots ) If possible, these lots could be cut into 12 or more lots. My hope is that if the project becomes a reality that those that participate choose to go with a smaller lot and allow us to keep it simple and as natural and eco friendly as possible. Thanks again, have a great week!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:06   #40

Hello AvB3, I hadn't checked very many places. I did however check the prices in Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine, Destin, Fort Walton, areas! I found that an average of 90 K for a 32 - 34 foot vessel, across the board. Yes, some were a bit cheaper and some more, some with amenities and some with few amenities. I agree with you, there are some that are cheaper, but I would be very surprised if they had the view and access the location in question offers. The cheaper slips, tend to be on either muddy back waters or part of fishing fleet & industrial related areas. For some that's all they want. But the view and access available at this location, commands well above 1K a month rental if you can find one, to start with. I appreciate the input and interest, thank you, for your participation. Please keep me informed if you run across any other comparison. Any and all information helps, thanks! I'll be posting overheads and photos of the property soon. I hope you'll let me know what you think about it. Have a great week!
Old 07-08-2012, 16:46   #41

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature 260 View Post
I'll be posting overheads and photos of the property soon. I hope you'll let me know what you think about it. Have a great week!
If you do that then someone (I am not capable) could use Google Earth and easily locate it.
Old 07-08-2012, 18:16   #42

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this a yacht club? Of course the first 12 would be the founding members, and then the incoming new members would be the ways of recouping investment. Maybe things are way different in Florida, but I can't see the initial investment being 100K for yacht club membership (the yearly dues are irrelevant, even in the setup you propose, there would have to be 'maitenance fees', otherwise the docks,showers,etc don't get looked after). The main difference would be the ability to construct dwellings, and it would be very hard to keep 12 family units to come up with agreeing standards and guide lines that would ensure they could never be changed(then the campers/tents/etc show up.
Unless you had 12 people that bought into the 'sailing commune' idea that has already been discussed, that had the money, and were totally commited to this vs..being in a yacht club,or similar situation, then they would be all for it...
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:13   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

My suspicion is that OP is not a scammer, just somewhat naive / on a learning curve (no offence meant ). Albeit OP having good intentions doesn't mean folks involved still won't lose money. or their shirts .

But it's business - Caveat Emptor .

My advice for OP is to treat this proposal as if it is simply a commercial proposition. because it is. the fact that it may also suit those who are looking to live a certain lifestyle is really secondary (a bonus? / one of your target markets).

And to do that you need a plan. in writing. in coherent form. A thread full of posts ain't good enough.

The initial plan (proposal) does not need to have all the details sketched in, but at least the basic outline - especially the "obvious" stuff. and the fact that you are after ideas of others is simply part of the plan to firm things up / move forward. So put it in the proposal. Odds are strong that won't find a dozen people willing to write cheques simply on the basis of a promise of a project so will need to be writing that stuff down anyway......but I appreciate that a chicken and egg situation. But if OP wants something to happen he has to lay the egg ....at the risk of the effort coming to naught (getting scrambled? ).

You could keep the proposal secret (by E-mail only), but IMO that would unneccessarily restrict your ability to attract folks - I would go for a website, even if some of the details were also by application only. If you look coherent then folks more likely to at least consider the proposals.

On the subject of keeping things secret, I would not greatly sweat giving away the location and all the property details. Indeed would be useful as folks (on the internet) may well know the area - and the local pitfalls that await, especially on planning and the history of the site.

And the odds are that the property is being marketed anyway, your small addition to the marketing is only a drop in the ocean. And besides, even if someone does gazump OP then may well still be an opportunity for him to get onboard with someone else's project - even if that simply be being buying a condo / boat space rather than it being "his" project (IMO plusses to that approach - less aggro and less risk vs a likely higher buyin cost).

Anyway, just to say that I am not in - wrong part of the world for me.

and just in case it is a scam, and at the risk of stating the obvious(?) just because someone is talking telephone numbers does not mean they aren't simply after Beer Money(plus). But easy enough to smell out a scamster over time (if the more you smell the more it smells like sh#t - then likely it is a pile of sh#t).....and you can only lose money on an "investment" when you take it out of own pocket, or let someone else's hand in! - so no great risk in simply enquiring further.

and of course also to mention the greatest lie ever told...........

........"you can't con an honest man".......

Of course you can!, you just use a different approach than with a dishonest one.

Be interesting to see if this proposal develops - my gut says probably not.

But I have been wrong before..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 13:00   #44

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Out of my price range, but a cool idea. My only worry going into anything like this would be zoning and city issues.

I don't really believe you can buy a plot of land and plop 20 boats outside of it without someone raising a fuss. At least not in the US anyway. Add in people living aboard and calling it a "marina" and you'll probably have all sorts of regulation to step through.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 18:58   #45

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

This place is set up as a not-for-profit corporation w/ 24 shares. I know one of the owners, who is quite happy with the set up.

Harbour Cay Club, Marathon, FL
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote