Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 19:07   #1

Live Aboard for Next to Nothing

I just read through most of the post "Live aboard after retirement". I was just amazed at some of the figures that were posted. Granted everyone cannot work on their boat or outfit it themselves, but if it has to be done it is not that hard.

I had a turn in my life recently. I knew it was coming so I got prepared. I bought a Pearson Triton that had been started to get rebuilt. I would say half way there or all the removal part was finished. All new standing rigging in a larger size was already purchased. Auto pilot, boom vang, clutches roller furler 4 sails radio and depth sounder all came with the boat. Along with a rebuilt Atomic 4. I paid $1000.00 for the whole thing in RI. I was in WI. It took $600.00 or so to get it home. I sold the engine for $850.00, and the instruments for $ 100.00 plus $50.00 for the instrument plate. So I ended up with a boat for $600.00 or so in my shop. I have put maybe $600 more into it rebuilding the rudder and rudder shaft. Paint and epoxy. I am floating right now on the Mississippi. I am going to use electric drive once I can get around to it. For now I am using a 9.9 outboard which is more than enough power. I use 1/4 throttle most of the time and travel about 3.5 to 4 knots. I live aboard. I do not have a fancy stove oven only a $150.00 camp stove oven from Cosco. One LP container lasts me about one month. I bought a Coleman 12v cooler from Walmart for $100.00. Using insulation around it, it works just fine. I can use 5# of ice in a week if not plugged in or plug it in if I am somewhere that has electricity. It is not one of the $4,000.00 freezer friges but it works just fine. I have a yagi antenna that can pull in wifi for entertainment. I have more than enough room for two people. I plan on installing a shower in front of the head. As a true live-a-board I have nowhere I need to be. I anchor out in desolate bays in peaceful water. I am down to my fighting weight in just two weeks roughly 135 or 140 I will know for sure next week at the doctors. I should write a book "The cruising diet". I have found that the marinas I have been to will let you use their facilities if you are polite and respectful. It may be a different way to live a board, but it can be done and it can be fun. Even alone I am having a blast. My boat is more than capable of sailing around the world just as it is. I have made all the improvements to make it safe. Give me $100.00 a month and well I am into this boat for less than $5,000.00 once I get the solar panels installed. I am betting I will have just as much fun as the person spending $60,000.00 and $2,000.00 a month. Maybe more. I met Bill on the river I spend 10 times what he spends (he is in a kayak) I have the life of luxury according to him all I have to do is just sit there to move he has to paddle, he gets wet when it rains, and has to get out to go... Once I hooked up the autopilot I thought, does it get any better than this. Then I put up the dodger and sun cover over the cockpit. I wondered how much better can it get. Well I could have 3G network, and satellite TV but that would bring my expenses well into the $350.00 a month range. So instead I sing a song and write in blogs to upload all at once when I can. Can you live on $100.00 a month on a boat you have nothing invested in. I think so, just learn to barter. My biggest expenses will be the fees to get into other countries. My biggest thrill so far has been leaving all the EXPENSES behind.

Bonne nuit Dan
Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Wow Dan, sounds like fun. I just hope you are for real
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:18   #3

It's no different than land. There are some folks making $300K a year that are happy, and a guy I know who walks dogs and lives in a garage is probably one of the happiest people I know. However much you're spending (or not spending) I think it's important to realize that there's a lot more going on than money.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:19   #4

You know I am, I have been on here for a time. I was just away getting ready for the last month. I am sitting right now in Portage Des Soiux in the marina. Plugged in with shore power and internet. $200.00 for the month. I have to leave my boat here to go back to WI for a neck operation. I could not be happier, well maybe if I had a nice companion. Time enough for that I guess. See my blog, I have been updating it as I go.

Dan
Old 25-10-2010, 19:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It's no different than land. There are some folks making $300K a year that are happy, and a guy I know who walks dogs and lives in a garage is probably one of the happiest people I know. However much you're spending (or not spending) I think it's important to realize that there's a lot more going on than money.
Truer words were never spoken
Old 25-10-2010, 19:22   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
barter is awesome way to keep costs down.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:35   #7

My blog in case the signature does not work Off to places unknown
Old 25-10-2010, 19:37   #8

see if t his works
Old 25-10-2010, 19:40   #9

do not know why it does not work as signature.
Old 25-10-2010, 19:54   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
SkipperD - There is a trailing colon ( in your siglink.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:59   #11

I'll try one more time
Old 25-10-2010, 20:11   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here copy and paste this

Off to places unknown
Old 25-10-2010, 20:27   #13

Boat: Brewer 44
I am happy to see that Dan gets what this whole life style is about. Hope to share a drink with you some time sir.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:39   #14

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I was previously working for someone who was earning in the vicinity $750 k gross a year (Noting we have a really greedy tax man over here who hits these kind of earners hard). He was totally miserable and all he could do was find more hideous ways of wasting atrocious amounts of money. He spent the rest of his time happily incurring other outlandish debts. For a while this would keep him on a high. Next day he would wake up realising what he had been getting himself into and he would be on a downward spiral to absolute gloom. Then somewhere in between he would get a bit jealous if I got in a simple surf.

I could have hung in there and followed the same career path, but it was becoming too false and trying to help was sending me as mad as him. So I bought a beautifully simple little boat and went cruising! The proverbial sh&t is about to hit the fan as far as some debts are concerned, but at least I am honestly poor and happy. Worse case scenario I might I to move onto the boat and live like a vagabond. Now that would break my heart (And probably cause a lot of jealousy in people other than just the poor fellow I worked for) !

(No problems about a defamation case – the individual caught in this greed trap would probably entirely agree with what is posted. In fact, we discussed similar numerous times and I am hoping he has gotten things together.)
Old 25-10-2010, 20:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Here copy and paste this

Off to places unknown
OK I did we shall see if it works Thanks