Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 07:02   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Dan View Post
Well I am in the minority, and I like it. You do have some good observations. There are two ways to skin a cat so to speak. I hardly think that something not built in can be a violation (The stove). Gives me something to look in to anyway. I have no experience with ocean storms. From everything I read though I never heard of motoring through it. I have heard of "riding it out" though. The outboard is just to get down the Mississippi. Once in FL I will convert to electric. Rachel Ray lived in a what, 10'x12' cabin in the Adirondacks before she got famous? But she's upsized a bit since then. I was just upsized, I designed, built, and lived in a 7,000 sq ft house. The taxes were more than I will spend in 5 years now. I downsized after upsizing. I am happier in my little boat. I would not mind having one other person along (preferably 5'3" 125# 35 year old beauty) but I do not want to depend on 1) an engine or 2) any crew. Once you have to depend on something else, things get more difficult. This is not a hobby or vacation. This is a way of life. I will look into the stove, but I think as long as it is not built in there is little they can do. I do not plan on docking in marinas. Remember I am in minority if not in a class by myself.

Bonne nuit Dan
Welcome to the minority....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:44   #47

way to go !! where do you plan to sail?
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 14:16   #48

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Thumbs up

Skipper Dan, I got nothing but love for you! I can't wait to read your blog!
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 15:00   #49
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
It is not so much the destination...the journey is the worthier part.
Skipper you are doing what I have been working towards all my life....the hard part has just been getting the boat, now that I have it I am going to try to do the same.
Old 10-11-2010, 15:40   #50

You da man Skipper Dan!!!
Rolf the Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 19:00   #51

Thanks for all the encouragement. It will be a fun trip. It is not a race kind of trip for me. More of a, when I make it all the way around kind of thing. I am having a hard time just getting out of Portage De Sioux. Mike the marina owner is just fantastic. He got a guy to buy my last plane, but I had to take a Harley in on trade. The new plane owner has a place down in the Keys that I can dock my boat at. Now I have a place to call home until I can get real acquainted with the Triton. I have a Harley to ride around Florida on. The only real problem is they want me to fly them around in the plane. This may make it easier to take it a little slower and learn how to sail the big blue without any pressure to just head out and hope for the best. At any rate I have to go back to WI for another doctor appointment (They did not get enough of my money last week). When I get back I have to get going back on the river.

"Good things come to those that live on the water"
Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 19:02   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy2012 View Post
way to go !! where do you plan to sail?
My first stop was going to be the Virgin Islands. Now it looks like I will be in the Keys for a little bit. It will give me a chance to talk to some seasoned sailors and find out little more about weather.

Dan
Old 10-11-2010, 20:52   #53

Location: Alberta, StarShip currently in Valdivia,Chile cruising
Boat: CW Atlantic 49 Mast foil
skipper dan

Wow Dan, first saw your blog today and I can honestly say I am visualizing a raft with Tom or Huck floating down the O'l Mississippi. Sounds like you are really enjoying your lifestyle, a good lifestyle, but maybe a little lonely. I hope for you that you find someone who will join you and appreciate it as much as you do but I am afraid you might have limited the playing field with your simplicity. I am real curious about how your adventure plays out. Good luck and fair winds !
Rosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 23:08   #54

Way to go

That's my thoughts on this entire thing exactly, and what I'm working on getting done, although I probably will go with some sort of engine, maybe.
useDaGreyMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:56   #55

Boat: Bristol 32
Hey Skipper Dan, just found this thread. I'll check out your blog in a bit. I work as a pilot, and spend half my life winging around the country, down into Mexico, out to the Bahamas, or up into Canada. I have come to hate my job. But my nine year old daughter is leaning on my shoulder right now, and she and my wife are counting on me. Maybe someday in a parallel life...
I would write more, but the daughter is demanding attention, and I don't blame her. After all, I'm gone half of her life. Guess I'll have to live vicariously through your blog.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:27   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Dan....
On your way South, I have a slip for you in Nokomis (27 11.00) and a big shop if you need anything... I have another place in KW too; stop in for a beer (no frig for the beer only an ice-box!)
George
Old 11-11-2010, 04:52   #57

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar
More power to you sailor live your dream
Old 11-11-2010, 05:49   #58

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
I'm with you Dan, We are on the Missiissipi right as well in a 25' Coronado sailboat. I am fortunate that my wife is on board with the dream with me. Maybe not as deep rooted, but she is here with me having a good time of it. You had better hurry, it's getting cold up there.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:49   #59

Rosie it is not as bad as all that. I just got out of a long hot shower, had breakfast, put away the laundry and am going to go up and help the owner install a washer and dryer in the 2nd bath house. Same thing I would have done on land if I had a house except I would not have to fill my car with $48.00 worth of gas and fight traffic for an hour.

I talk to girls all over the world so I am not all that lonely. I would not mind a cuddle every once in a while though. It will come soon enough I think. Trick is to find the right person that is tired of all the go go go and just wants a nice peaceful life. I wake up with nature every day. Matter of fact I go to bed with nature each night. I have plenty to do. I have internet, movies, and books. Sitting in a bar is not my kind of fun it is more aggravating than anything. My idea of a great night is cooking what I just caught for dinner, a movie in the tranquility of my boat or maybe a (float-in Drive-in) up on deck so the animals can watch also. Sharing it with someone would also be great. If you read my blog you read about "Bill" now that guy is Huck Finn. In a kayak with nothing other than a tent. I have a mansion compared to him.

À bientôt Dan
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
I would write more, but the daughter is demanding attention, and I don't blame her. After all, I'm gone half of her life. Guess I'll have to live vicariously through your blog.
Give it to her they are gone all too quick. Family is the most important thing to me or should be to anyone. I have raised all my kids and 9 more years of raising two more grandkids. Now I have to settle down and take care of me.

Dan