Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 21:14   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads View Post
I am happy to see that Dan gets what this whole life style is about. Hope to share a drink with you some time sir.
Well I had had enough of letting the economy drive me. I am a pilot also and I love to fly my plane places because I can see so much in so little time. Gas however started costing much more than I could afford. I started thinking back to how can I go places for nothing. I remembered I wanted to sail across the ocean to Europe. So I figured an electric drive sailboat would be self sufficient. All I would need is food and fees. Working good so far. I am sure things will change if I pick up a passenger but maybe it will be worth it. I have not been alone for more than 32 years and it has only been two weeks. I could live on this boat with no problems, but then I could live in an igloo in Alaska also. Just give me a line a lake and a gun and I could live forever.

Dan
Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 22:24   #17

Boat: 34 Catalina Mk II - Aussie Rules
Well Dan you have a great thing going.....I hope we'll be out there with you in a few years. Every day we get closer! Every day we think about our dream and if we have a shitty day at work, one of us will call the other and say....can we go yet? And the answer is always the same! Yep.lets go! Trouble is....Dave's son is 14 1/2 years old. Soon, he'll be graduated....and we're gone! Can hardly wait!
missaussierules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 03:22   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hey Dan - I took the liberty of fixing your signature link. I think it's OK now...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 05:43   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Dan View Post
My blog in case the signature does not work Off to places unknown
Some more boat photos would be nice

(everyone's a critic )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 06:21   #20

Boat: Maxi 77
Quote:
Well I had had enough of letting the economy drive me. I am a pilot also and I love to fly my plane places because I can see so much in so little time. Gas however started costing much more than I could afford. I started thinking back to how can I go places for nothing. I remembered I wanted to sail across the ocean to Europe. So I figured an electric drive sailboat would be self sufficient. All I would need is food and fees. Working good so far. I am sure things will change if I pick up a passenger but maybe it will be worth it. I have not been alone for more than 32 years and it has only been two weeks. I could live on this boat with no problems, but then I could live in an igloo in Alaska also. Just give me a line a lake and a gun and I could live forever.

Dan
If you were a lady, I´d probably marry you
Nah, seriously you seem to live by the same "rules" (or lack thereof) that I do. Live cheap, be happy and die without any regrets kinda thing..
I live aboard also, but in my area I´m frozen in for about 3-4 months so I´m thinking of relocating. If no further, then at least to the Med. Live on what I can make from whatever job or task I can get and just enjoy having no obligations to anyone but myself.
Old 26-10-2010, 09:42   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
How do you pay for health care? You're going back to Wisc for neck surgery, that can't be free unless you have some sort of pension. A large chunk of cash stored away? However you are doing it, health care is a big factor in cruising on the cheap...in the USA
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 09:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
If you were a lady, I´d probably marry you
Nah, seriously you seem to live by the same "rules" (or lack thereof) that I do. Live cheap, be happy and die without any regrets kinda thing..
I live aboard also, but in my area I´m frozen in for about 3-4 months so I´m thinking of relocating. If no further, then at least to the Med. Live on what I can make from whatever job or task I can get and just enjoy having no obligations to anyone but myself.
I am headed to Sweden some day. I have to get to the Virgin Islands first, well just because. I am not sure I can take the heat, but I hear it is cheap to live there. I would rather find a place that has average temps in the 50deg F range. I have the same problem of "I have no obligations but to myself". I think it would be nice to have a nice little island girl along, but then "I have no obligations but to myself". I think I could give up a few things to have someone to hold. But then "I have no obligations but to myself"

À bientôt Dan
Old 26-10-2010, 10:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
How do you pay for health care? You're going back to Wisc for neck surgery, that can't be free unless you have some sort of pension. A large chunk of cash stored away? However you are doing it, health care is a big factor in cruising on the cheap...in the USA
WI has a plan called Badger Care it is $130.00 a month. I will probably not carry it long. The last operation I had on my back I did without insurance. At first I was scared because I had no idea what was going on. I had never had an operation before. The first place I called wanted $60,000.00. the second place it was $30,000.00. So I started looking around for insurance that would cover it. I found some for $500.00 a month. Through my wife it would have been the same actually I think it was through her. $7,000.00 deductible. I could not wait the required time as my back was really hurting so I kept on researching. I found a Imaging place that would do my MRI for free. A surgeon that said we can just do it at this clinic. Total bill was $6,000.00 a thousand less than my deductible not counting the payments I would have made each month. I am not going to let insurance drive me. Is is nothing more than a scam. Mexico or India can do most any operation for pennies on the dollar. The doctors are the same ones that come to the US to practice. I can count on one hand the times I have been to the doctor. Live right and God will reward you. Go to the doctor for a cold and come away with the flu. Mine is a simple operation that takes less than one hour. I see no need to pay $30,000.00 for it.

Dan
Old 26-10-2010, 10:03   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
I think it would be nice to have a nice little island girl along, but then "I have no obligations but to myself". I think I could give up a few things to have someone to hold. But then "I have no obligations but to myself"

À bientôt Dan
Those little island girls can be just as much trouble, maybe more, then the big island girls. Just not as spoiled.
Old 26-10-2010, 10:03   #25

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Nice blog, enjoy your travels
Old 26-10-2010, 10:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hey Dan - I took the liberty of fixing your signature link. I think it's OK now...
Thanks what was the problem? I hate not knowing things.

Dan
Old 26-10-2010, 10:07   #27

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Through my wife

I thought you just said "I have no obligations but to myself".
Old 26-10-2010, 10:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Those little island girls can be just as much trouble, maybe more, then the big island girls. Just not as spoiled.
Yes but they are fun to cuddle with.

Old 26-10-2010, 10:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

I thought you just said "I have no obligations but to myself".
I just got divorced Oct 15th. That was last year I had the operation. I wanted Cindy to come along but she has a good job she did not want to leave. She is driven by money. She will die with hundreds of thousands in the bank, I will die happy.

Dan
Old 26-10-2010, 11:10   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Some more boat photos would be nice

(everyone's a critic )
Remember I had to leave before I was ready. I had to get down below where it freezes on the Mississippi. It will not matter as I can finish somewhere in FL.

From memory;
first is the galley. The oven/stove will be on rails able to slide out for use.

second is the Colman frig. I use ice and plug it in when I can. I am going to install a real insulated box around it as well as 1/2" of aluminum covered insulation inside. I will order a thermostat for it as now it runs all the time and will freeze the contents. It can also be stood up and have a front open door.

Third and forth is Jade as it sits in dock with my yagi wifi antenna. This will be attached to the boat in the future on a pole so it can be turned from inside. I may have to rethink this also or have a second antenna as the wind is so strong today that it bounces all over the place. (Why it is sitting on the dock.)

Fifth other side of Jade and my tender.

Sixth I am all alone at the marina. When they leave I arrive.

I just found a laundry facility here (Free) Am I lucky or what.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jade 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	330
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	20528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jade 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	341
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	20529  

Click image for larger version