Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 14:04   #1

Livaboard 22' Santana, Possible?

I am on the verge of purchasing a 22' Santana sailboat in Portland, OR . This will be my first real boating experience. I now in many ways I may be naive, but I am fully aware of how small that really is, and that I will have to make some improvements to make it liveable. I'm very excited at the prospect of slowly making it must own little cruising nest. Is this remotely possible or am I setting myself up for a huge dissapointment? Also, does anyone have an opinion about a Minn Kota 12v electric motor with solar panel and/or battery power?
tsanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:20   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Livaboard 22' Santana, Possible?

Give it a shot if you're confident about it. Don't take on any major projects or make any big investments in it until you've done some sailing/living on it. If you do end up wanting something bigger down the road, you'll be a great position to know exactly what you're looking for.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:21   #3

Thanks for the positive input
tsanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:22   #4
cruiser

You must either be joking or a dwarf. My friend and I brought his Santana 22 down to Salem Harbor from Portand Maine a few years ago in April. You can't stand up anywhere in the boat, or even kneel down without ducking your head. We had to be contortionists just to use the portapotty.

There really isn't an interior unless you plan on lying down 100% of the time.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:40   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

The bottom line is that anything is possible...it's just a matter of how adaptable you are. I live on a 40' cutter and half the people who hear this think I'm out of my mind.

That said, I think the Santana 22' is right on the edge. It's tiny.

Do this exercise. Model a day/evening spent on the boat, listing the things you that need/want to do. Cooking, washing, dressing, fixing stuff, work (and computer use). Spend some time on the boat going through those motions to see if it's even workable. Also, add up the stuff you anticipate keeping on board. Double it, and see if there is enough room to fit it.

As for the Minn Kota, I assume you're talking about as primary means of propulsion, you're right on the bleeding edge. IMHO it does not have the power to move a 3000 lb. boat safely, not to mention the charging challenge with a smaller panel. You could probably get by with a 5 hp. gas outboard. The electric Torqueedo Travel says it's adequate for day sailors up to 1.5 tons but I think that's optimistic. If it can't push your boat forward against a headwind and the average currents you'll face, it's not strong enough.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:55   #6

A Santana 22 is a small headroom small bot. Anything can be done, but no, I wouldn't. Maybe in the Bahamas but not in Portland!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Livaboard 22' Santana, Possible?

If your young and flexible all things are possible.. I've lived aboard and voyaged 21 and 22ftrs with just sitting headroom below.. at sea that's all you really need.. in harbour/on the hook, rig a boom tent for that extra space.
Your main problem is storage space.. two weeks is your maximum cruising range before resupply of water and food.. and that's with rationing and baby wipes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 15:22   #8

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

You are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Look for a free Catalina 25 with a gas outboard, or close to free.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:29   #9

Boat: Seaward 25

Somewhere in the back of your mind you know this is not a good idea, otherwise you wouldn't be posting this question. A couple of things to consider:

Standing headroom, as mentioned above. BIG ISSUE!

Heat - any kind of portable flame heater is going to be very dangerous with a cabin that small. CO poison will kill you. Only safe option is electric and that is if the boat is set up with a proper A/C system. Just running an extension cord up to the dock is not safe for you or others who might be in the water around your boat.

Water - does the boat have a sink? Will you only be using shore side facilities?

Santana 22 is a cool boat for what it was designed for. I doubt the designer had anything in mind beyond a couple of nights spent backed up to the beach!
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:48   #10

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanni View Post
I am on the verge of purchasing a 22' Santana sailboat in Portland, OR . This will be my first real boating experience. I now in many ways I may be naive, but I am fully aware of how small that really is, and that I will have to make some improvements to make it liveable. I'm very excited at the prospect of slowly making it must own little cruising nest. Is this remotely possible or am I setting myself up for a huge dissapointment? Also, does anyone have an opinion about a Minn Kota 12v electric motor with solar panel and/or battery power?
i say when life gets boring risk it. but you're not talking about much risk here. not a lot of money to chase this dream and even if it were to turn into a nightmare, as some do, you can always sell and bail out. of course only you can decide the dream/nightmare issue, but i'd never even consider living aboard on such a boat as you're considering. especially in a place as wet and cold as portland.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:19   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

OK here goes I'm 50 with a bad back and I live on an islander Bahama 24 . Here is what you need IMO .
1) a dry place to sleep
2) a place to cook
3) a working head ( with a tank , a porta potty, or composting head. )
Now If it has all of that the bullet test is put your pants on and zip them up without opening the cabin up. If you have to get on your knees do it . BTW when doing this think winter and pouring rain just like we had last week. If you can live with doing this every day then go for it .
( at least until you get two footitus .
Old 17-10-2016, 10:19   #12

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Well you could exist on it, but live? I don't know. I have a 32'er and that gets cramped as hell. But then I have to much stuff. Many books, fair/foul weather gear, an arrowhead collection. Pots, pans etc. etc. etc. And some times my best friend.

Now there is an old duffer going around the world on a 24' (Morgan ?) but he has gone around about 5 times before on different sizes, once even on an open boat. Go "inthepresentsea" and check Mr. Webb Chiles out. He can advise and will respond to e-mails. But man why not wait or go a bit in debt and at least get a 30'er. It rains/snows a lot out here and You may have a date sometime and want to pour a glass of wine.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 10:27   #13

Boat: Vancouver 27

A few more thoughts..

There are a million ways to do it, and you don't really see a happiness index relating to boat size when you're out cruising. But everyone has specific needs. If you get on a boat and don't get in over your head in terms of projects and discomfort, the rest is pretty academic. You'll figure out what you want and make it happen, even if it means getting a larger boat.

In my mind, the boat is more a means to an end. If it's seaworthy and it feels like a home to you, perfect. The adventure and the people/places along the way is where its at.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 10:41   #14

Boat: Oday 25

Nah- Spend a little more and get something you can stand up in occasionly. Some one in our club just sold a 28 footer for $6000. It was in good shape. A couple of thousand now will save chiropractor bills later. If you can tent the hatch area to be weather tight, at least you can stand up to get dressed but I would not go under 25 feet.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 11:20   #15

Yo,

Being from Oregon you can achieve anything you want!
It's do-able but small
I have been living on my Coronado 25 for 3 years and am perfectly happy!

Forget the electric motor, fossil fuel works better,(Probably a long shaft 8 HP)

With Cheers,

Captd
Captdd is offline   Reply With Quote