Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 17:29   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Life Under Shrink Wrap

Hey has anyone on this forum lived under shrink wrap for a winter?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 17:44   #2

Boat: FP Athena 38
Re: Life Under Shrink Wrap

Yup, in Dimillos in Portland. It was not as bad as you would think. It sucked not being able to move the boat but we did fine. We did put a clear window in the top of the dome, it let in sunlight and helped keep in warm. We had zipper doors, one on the back and one on the side. I did not think it was sooo bad BUT I was very happy when we moved the warmer weather the next year.
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 17:49   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Spent 15 winters living aboard full time under shrink wrap on the Hudson River in Stony Point, NY. Used clear wrap.....provided tremendous amount of heat gain during the day.
If you have any specific questions, just ask!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 20:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Spent 15 winters living aboard full time under shrink wrap on the Hudson River in Stony Point, NY. Used clear wrap.....provided tremendous amount of heat gain during the day.
If you have any specific questions, just ask!!
I guess I am just wondering about the effects of condensation etc. Were you actually comfortable on your boat or just surviving?
Old 10-09-2011, 20:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Eye View Post
Yup, in Dimillos in Portland. It was not as bad as you would think. It sucked not being able to move the boat but we did fine. We did put a clear window in the top of the dome, it let in sunlight and helped keep in warm. We had zipper doors, one on the back and one on the side. I did not think it was sooo bad BUT I was very happy when we moved the warmer weather the next year.
Was your boat insulated at all? What is the benefit of clear shrink wrap vs. a dark shrink wrap. I thought darker colors heated up more quickly. Is Dimillos specifically a live aboard marina? That's the second time today I've hear that name.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II, 44 - Minor Detail

Lived onboard in Groton, CT for a winter. Clear shrink wraps lets in lots of light. Also made a frame for a shrinkwrap door. Hindges and a little door handle. Set it up to swing out. Lot easier to come and go vice zipper doors. Most days I was topside in a tee shirt around mid day due to the heat. I also was at a Navy marina with unlimited power.
MinorDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:29   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Hey - that is interesting.

When you are wrapped, how do you make sure you do not run out of oxygen? We lived under polypro wrap one winter, but this allows a lot of air thru.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 22:52   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II, 44 - Minor Detail

I had a CO2 monitor, but that was for the Espar heater that attempted to kill me one freezing night in New Hampshire. They also make vents that can be installed into the shrinkwrap. I had a hole near the bow and found that on a windy day you would still get plenty of air movement.
MinorDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
Was your boat insulated at all? What is the benefit of clear shrink wrap vs. a dark shrink wrap. I thought darker colors heated up more quickly. Is Dimillos specifically a live aboard marina? That's the second time today I've hear that name.
We put think camper pads all around the hull. But other then that it was just the hull. We used white shrink wrap and clear for windows the natural sunlight coming in gave it a greenhouse effect. I an not sure why not a darker color but anything other then white would have made living inside too dark. The white let in natural light.
We lived in Dilmillos because it was the cheapest Marina to live in during the winter. They also have bubble system under the water to keep the Marina section from freezing up in the winter.
Old 12-09-2011, 13:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Eye View Post
We put think camper pads all around the hull. But other then that it was just the hull. We used white shrink wrap and clear for windows the natural sunlight coming in gave it a greenhouse effect. I an not sure why not a darker color but anything other then white would have made living inside too dark. The white let in natural light.
We lived in Dilmillos because it was the cheapest Marina to live in during the winter. They also have bubble system under the water to keep the Marina section from freezing up in the winter.
What are think camper pads?
Old 20-09-2011, 17:58   #11

I ment thick. Sorry. Typing from my phone. Auto correct kills me sometimes. :-)
Old 20-09-2011, 19:08   #12

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

A friend of mine lived aboard a 32ft Bayliner under white shrinkwrap last winter in northern Minnesota, he heated with 2 x 1500 watt electric heaters and was reasonably comfortable, no insulation.
Steve
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 19:39   #13

Boat: PETERSON 44
Yep been there. One time I froze my hair to the hull. Very young and I had a retriever pup and Eddie bower down bag as heat. Makes for great stories as you age rapidly. Did I tell you about the time I froze my hair to the side of my boat. Makes for great stories I don't think I suffered permanent damage. And then there was the time I freeze dried my hair. Great times great stories I'm thinking of rewriting the endurance. the people made it survivable. Wild bill and his wolf suheilley. We could argue the proper way to pronounce Oregon for hours. If it wasn't for the huge hole in the bottom of my boat I would never do it again. Except that I remember some really fun characters from those days and I can honestly say I froze dried my hair and was stuck to my boat with ice rather then my boat stuck in ice.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote