Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-05-2016, 18:12   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Life on the Mississippi

It must totally be impossible these guys are right on. Except did it with my 4 month old son and wife in 2007 on our Wauquiez Amphitrite.

FYI loaded barges draw 9' of more and are square. Plenty of space anywhere on the river to avoid them in any situation as you can ALWAYS get further over than they can unless of course you draw 9' of more.

Old 25-05-2016, 18:36   #32

Boat: Swan 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Markus Carkus

And empty barges draw about 1 foot. All of those southbound loaded barges go back north, some loaded, most empty.
I never said it was impossible. You are living proof to the contrary. I have seen too many incidents over the years to take it casually.

Old 27-05-2016, 07:38   #33

Boat: 48 Tollycraft ORINOCO

The Orinoco has traveled down the Tenn Tom waterway at least ten times and we decided to do the trip down the Misssissippi in 2010. Orinoco is a 48 ft diesel trawler and have over 1200 post on Active Captain.

We were west bound as well so we turned off at old river, above Baton Rouge, and took the Atchflaya down to Morgan city and intercepted the ICW to Galveston.

The trip was uneventful, we enjoyed it and would do it again. Use Active Captain! Joe Pica made the trip a year before we did and we followed his notes on AC. Anchorages are in "Slack Harbors" and are noted in AC. Fuel stops are long legs, from Cairo it is over 300 miles to Memphis, the first fuel stop. Greenville is the next and only stop. Current speed helps, you will see 6-8 miles per hour if you pay attention and stay in the current.

The tugs are huge, below Cairo they can go 6 wide and 7 deep, these are triple engine tugs and put out an impressive propwash coming upstream. It is easy to stay out of the way because if they are upbound, they will stay out of the current (and you are trying to stay in it) and if downbound they are usually running at an idle. You need to know your whistle signals, one whistle or two and pay attention.

You will turn off at industrial Canal in New Orleans to get off the river, try not to do this at night. But once off the river there are some marinas on the industrial canal. See Active Captain.

Enjoy! Capt Montana
Old 27-05-2016, 08:53   #34

Boat: 64' Ferrocement Ketch

Wow - this really is a great resource. You folks are a wealth of information. Capt. Montana - you gave me hope with the Old River option. However, it looks like bridge clearance problems for my boat. I'm definitely going to play it safe. Slow and easy down the Tenn Tom.
Thanks again.
Tim D.
S/V Mystic Sun
Old 27-05-2016, 09:06   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
It must totally be impossible these guys are right on. Except did it with my 4 month old son and wife in 2007 on our Wauquiez Amphitrite.

FYI loaded barges draw 9' of more and are square. Plenty of space anywhere on the river to avoid them in any situation as you can ALWAYS get further over than they can unless of course you draw 9' of more.
I would never say you can't do it. But there are good reasons why almost everyone doing the loop takes the TenTom. The lower Mississippi simply isn't set up for small craft, the lack of facilities makes it tricky, and there is nothing to see.

The TenTom by contrast is a great place to sail and has a lot of recreational boating. With a lot of good anchorages and side trips worth doing.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mississippi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: