Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 07:58   #1

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Life On Board full Time in Caribbean?

Question. What is it like to live aboard in Caribbean full time, assuming going to Grenada or abc islands or some place else during hurricane season. I guess what I am asking is how often do you move from island to island. Do you make friends of other people on the boats, and how do you do that. What do you do each week. What activities or behavior do you think makes the difference between being happy living on the boat, and not. And anything else that you think will give us a heads up on what to do to make the transition a good one.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 08:29   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Life On Board full Time in Caribbean?

I recommend you read some blogs. That will give you the best idea.

Suggest you search on: Zero to Crusing, Banyan, Silverheels III, Finally My Darling, Windtraveller, Irie, Lahowind, Commuter Cruiser, Stonefire, Veranda.

That will give you a start. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 08:32   #3

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Re: Life On Board full Time in Caribbean?

Thanks for the suggestions, I have read every day on Zero to Cruising, but the others are new to me. Appreciate the direction.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 08:55   #4

Maintain something on the boat every day. Make or get water often. Go ashore/to town for food often. Companions are easy to make. Move to the next island before you are kicked out. Keep aware of the weather coming. Plan your crossing so you arrive on a day you can go to Customs and Immigration and avoid bad weather and arrive in daylight. Move out of the hurricane zone by June. Stir, shake, repeat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 13:46   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473

We cruised Caribbean for two years any my wife wrote the blog in English just for you:
Heron
Years 2012 and 2013 are Caribbean.
Yes, you move around from island to island and meet same boats from time to time.
You make friends with people you like.
Oh, I can't wait to go back.
Old 22-04-2015, 13:51   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is just like cruising anywhere.. just more islands than mexico..lol we move around as not moving constitutes residency and residency aint cruising.
if you merely wish to reside aboard in a different place, is not same as cruising. folks do expat and still live on boatts.
you may wish to consult with expats of each place you plan on residing so you know what it is like there or visit and discuss this withfolks who do reside there full time on or off boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 09:10   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Making friends is the easy part! That just happens on the water.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 09:11   #8
Marine Service Provider

All good advice - We live ashore here in Grenada. There are so many activities on the Cruisers Net every morning you would be hard pressed to keep up. There is always someone organizing something fun from island tours to volley ball tournaments - especially during the Hurricane Season.

Most people sit tight for the end of Hurricane Season and then start cruising north for the winter season.

Come on down and enjoy the islands!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 13:29   #9

Boat: Swan 48

Hmmm, can be great for short periods of time. But you will tire of it within a few years. The customs and immigration fiasco's at EVERY port, and the continuous money drain. If you don't bring what you need, you may be stuck for MONTHS in one place, and pay absolutely ridiculous prices - all the time the locals are all smiles - you know you are a priveliged rich American who should 'give us money' and respect, even though these people are stabbing you in the back.
Need I say more?
scottmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 13:46   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We have been cruising since 1995 with a break to top up the funds from time to time. Our experiences have generally been to our expectations - and great fun. It is a way of life, it is not one long vacation. The difference between lifestyle and vacation is your bank acount. Live within your budget and you can have a great time (or equally a bad one if not good with budgeting). For us, having been doing this since 20 years ago, we consider ourselves privileged.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 20:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
I recommend you read some blogs.

Suggest you search on: Zero to Crusing, Banyan, Silverheels III, Finally My Darling, Windtraveller, Irie, Lahowind, Commuter Cruiser, Stonefire, Veranda.

That will give you a start. Good luck!
Here are the links:
Zero to Crusing - Zero to Cruising!
Banyan - To Infinity... and Beyond | Banyan
Silverheels III - Trail? Maybe a Goat Path | The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III
Finally My Darling - Finally My Darling
Windtraveller - Windtraveler
Irie - It's Irie
Lahowind - LAHOWIND | Sailing Blog | Just you, me, + the dog. Sailing.
Commuter Cruiser - Commuter Cruiser — Info for Part-Time Cruisers and More!
Stonefire - Beautiful Ucluelet | Stonefire
Veranda - S/V Veranda

And a few more:
Delos - Delos Sailing Crew | We just wanna make you smile!
Suburbs to Sailing - Suburbs to Sailing - Don't Just Wanderlust
Where the Coconuts Grow - Where The Coconuts Grow
Estrellita - SV Estrellita 5.10b

Have Fun!!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
Old 24-04-2015, 20:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmills View Post
Hmmm, can be great for short periods of time. But you will tire of it within a few years. The customs and immigration fiasco's at EVERY port, and the continuous money drain. If you don't bring what you need, you may be stuck for MONTHS in one place, and pay absolutely ridiculous prices - all the time the locals are all smiles - you know you are a priveliged rich American who should 'give us money' and respect, even though these people are stabbing you in the back.
Need I say more?
Your location says Maine. How far south have you been? Have you even been outside the USA?

Can't say I've had any problems clearing in & out of the islands. I've felt like I've been ripped off getting work done in North America, but then there are good guys that try their best.

Your glass sounds half empty.
Old 25-04-2015, 06:26   #13
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

The ripoffs are pretty juvenile and easy to spot. Now in the US, they've refined ripping you off to an art form. Then they'll tax you on top of it.
Old 25-04-2015, 07:38   #14

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmills View Post

Need I say more?

That has totally not been our experience.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 07:04   #15

Boat: Bruckmann 3/4T

For us the biggest advantage was the break from work. We lived in the Islands for three years on a 33 ft monohull and had a great life returning only when the money ran out to work again. It was easy to find a job in the US. Grenada was the favorite place for the summer months. St. Thomas was the place we stayed in the US. It was only a four day trip between them. We also spent months in St. Martin, Cariacou. And a few weeks in other places. Before the Caribbean I spent a couple of years in Mexico, Hawaii, and several years on board in the San Francisco area. I would go back to Grenada. We have friends there and life is good at anchor. The locals including immigration are all very nice to deal with. If you live on a tight budget this is the place to be - the South end of Grenada. It's a 15 minute bus ride to the market and St. Georges. Any sail boat will get you there if you travel in May from the East Coast to Bermuda and run with the Bermuda high down the outside of the Islands to Grenada. Easy to sail up the Islands on a close reach. You won't need to prepare much as everything you will ever need is somewhere at one of the Islands. You will have dozens of like-minded friends.
waeshael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib