Okay so we are a just a few months away from moving aboard and I was out working on our boat on its swing mooring
, It's about 250m from shore.
So while I was out there I was expecting some increased winds but not as big as what happened.
The winds picked right up and the fetch was quite long making for biggish waves. With the tender
along side it started to bang despite the fenders so I came up and decided to add another painter (the one I leave on is a tad tired) so I did and it was a bit hairy, I the. Let the tender
ride behind the boat on a longer line where it appeared okay.
I returned to work below and when about 20l of water
came through a port I knew the weather
was increasing. I closed the port mopped up the water
and went up top to have a look.
Yup she was getting a lot worse and now about an hour in seemed to be still building, by this time the boat was burying the stem a few times. I went forward and checked on the mooring
lines since it was just serviced. As expected when she raised the lines high I could clearly see they only cleaned the tops and not the whole apparatus that they were paid for. That's another story.
Okay so by that time the winds further increased so I looked back at the tender with my Honda 4 stroke
and it looked like it was going to not last too long.
I therefore decided to call it a day. I locked up and planned my escape in fact although I don't mind the motion and our Nantucket
33 rides so nice in rough weather
and at anchor
I did need to get back. I thought of spending the night until the weather lessened but it would have meant sacrificing the tender and motor
So I formulated a plan that definitely did not include using the port aft ladder. That was bad enough earlier before she really picked up.
I donned my life jacket and then I brought the tender along side she had a breaking wave pass underneath and became airborne she is a 3m poly double wall wide tender and not the lightest. She flew steady at about a meter above the waves for what seems like minutes but was likely several seconds. I envisioned her flipping but I pulled the painter I had in my hand already over the rail as hung to the shroud
as far to the water as possible. With the painter down the boat settled onto a wave and started its former bucking. This was not goi g to be easy I thought.
Just then the boat turned and a good equal passed I sat and braced as it shook me and healed the boat over to the rail. Fortunately the tender and I were on the lee side.
After that passed I got to my feet pulled the tender higher along side gripping the painter now gathered in my hand around the shroud
. I climbed over the rail waited for a wave to raise up the tender and when it did I jumped in carrying the painter with me.
Whew I landed on target and as I quickly drifted away I started the 2hp motor
pointed downwind to shore and went WOT catching the first wave she was up on the plane and screaming for shore. It was a very fast ride in that little tender but she handled great I turned a bit and kept on the plane surfing the wave all the way to the beach. As I landed I jumped out before the next wave turned the boat I pulled it up on shore and wish someone as there to give a high 5 but the only person on the beach seemed unfazed.
Then I thought if you were in those sorts of conditions and had to get to shore with wife and kids
how could you do it?
I have our cruising tender resting on its davits
and figured launching from there would not have been that great either.
Normally I'd say just wait and don't go ashore. But when we first move I will still work 2 days a week and one of our kids
will continue school
for the rest if the year before we try homeschool.
If I knew poor weather was coming I can get to protected waters. But when the wind
comes from this direction there is no place to hide that would allow access to these appointments. It got me thinking others must have the same obstacle so how do you overcome it. Am I missing the obvious? How can you safely get to shore in all kinds of weather?
If we end up on our mooring and not a marina to start with which is likely. We can buy another tender such as a Rib
to add some safety
or I can put tubes on our current
With our current
set up I'd say there was no way I could get out to the boat in those conditions not with 2hp.
So far I'm thinking a different boat and a deck
connection that I can attach a snap shackle and a quick release pull in a protected sheath and board from the same location.
I think I would not do it with kids in those peak conditions but if it was not quite so bad it may work with an adult in tender one on shore help kids in then last adult in and pull the release.
Maybe I should be thinking something totally different.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on dealing with this sort of situation.