Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 07:40   #31

Boat: PETERSON 44
Håll dig berättelserna din engelska är ganska bra. Du kanske vill prova Google Översätt och se om hur det fungerar

Keep up the stories your english is quite good. You may want to try google translate and see if how that works
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:48   #32

Boat: Maxi 77
Sept 13, 2009

Itīs been a while since the last update but itīs been a nice summer and I figure living on board a boat in these weather circumstances isnīt much different from any boating vacation.. so I havenīt bothered with the everyday issues that you all know anyway, from your own experiences

Anyway, since I first picked up the boat in the spring I have had a total of 10-12 nights in a bed ashore and the rest on the boat. I never slept very well when away and Iīm still "enjoying the hell out of me". Yes, of course there had been days when Iīve said to myself: "What the fck are you doing here?" But I said that very same thing to myself 3-4 days per week before I launched this little "project" so itīs really nothing to pay any attention to. Itīs mainle when itīs rained for a week or so straight, that Iīve wanted away. You know, dripping wet clothes and anything else that makes anyone feel miserable. But once I did go away -even for a night- I couldnīt get back soon enough. Iīve realized that not everyday is sunshine and happy thoughts but hey.. life isnīt all that fun all the time regardless of what you do, where you live and who you are. I used to be a geek when it came to stuff.. if itīs electronic and goes "beep" I wanted it. Now, Iīm satisfied with what makes life easier. I dont need 3 TVs, nor do I need 4 computers, 3 cell phones or mile long shelves filled w books Iīve read at least twice. All I need to do is to look around myself. A new back yard every day if thatīs what I want. New neighbors every day too.. again if I want them. If not.. there are plenty of islands with no boats moored. Iīm lucky and I know it.

I installed the shore power system a while back and I have now made some additions with outlets here and there, an oil filled 230V radiator in the cabin and a heater fan for those days that will be extra cold. The meth stove will make room for a 230V ditto during the time I will be "frozen in" and I have bought a tiny 230V oven.

Over time I have met problems, dealt with them and moved on. most of the time the simplest solutions proved to be the best ones: Fishing gear hanging from the roof, A lot of space allocated for the unused sails will be free once I get the furler. Wardrobes nowadays only contain about a weeks supply of clothes, the rest of them are packed down in bags and cases stowed away from everyday space. Itīs all about planning. Now I know exactly where what is so after a week I but the dirty clothes in one bag, refill with clean ones and Iīm good to go again. After 3 weeks -maybe 4 in wintertime- I do the washing up thing and so it goes.
I used to have things packed by item but found it was easier to store by "week" or time if you know what I mean? It was absolute hell to have to open stowage after stowage to get t-shirts here, undies there etc etc.

After having done a few rougher trips with stuff everywhere as a result, I have attached cargo nets to the shelves. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it works, and it cost practically nothing. The things stay in place even at the toughest angles. The TV is in permanent place, with a swinging wall mount. Itīs strapped down to the wall when sailing, and swings out when I wanna watch it.

Me and my brother-in-law have a tradition to do an annual trip every fall. Sometimes in a tent by a small lake, sometimes in their caravan and this year in my boat.
We started out in 17 m/s, very rough sea and total darkness and rain on a friday night. 110% genoa and reefed down main gave us quite a ride. Iīm still not all that experienced when it comes to sailing, but the Maxi is a sturdy boat that rarely gives you any unpleasant surprises so it was never uncomfortable in any way. The weather cleared up and we had a wonderful 4 days out. My dad passed away 2 weeks ago and this trip was in his memory. We followed that same trail that I used to do with my father when I was a kid. From my marina, to the small bay where we had the summer house, further more east towards the northeast most sity at the shores of Vanern, called Kristinehamn, where we bought that same kind of sausage we used to do some 35 years ago, completed with my fathers favorite vodka, Smirnoff. A trip I wouldnīt have wanted undone for anything.

Now, everyone, tell me what I have forgotten on my checklist for the "ice age"
1) I will place a frost guard in the engine room so I dont have to do anything with the raw water inlet to the engine
2) Same thing with the outlet for the sink, a 60W lightbulb next to the outlet would probably prevent this from being clogged with ice, right?
3) Mast will remain on, not releasing any of the tension to the rigging?
4) cock pit drain will be closed unless I can find a cock pit tent soon enough, and same will go with the valve for this: A frostguard will be installed in the stern stowage compartment where the cockpit drain exits through the hull. Necessarry or not?
5) Anything else I need to think about?

Fair winds, now Iīm off sailing
KillerBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:53   #33

Sept 15, 2009

And here are the repliest to whe questions I made:
1) Probably a good idea, even tho antifreeze in the valve would do the job too

2) I did this the first year, but havenīt bothered the last few.

3) I would leave the mast on yes, and not slacking the rig either to avoid pumping in the autumn storms

4) FIND A TENT, its priceless with the extra space you will get. As for the frost guard, itīs a good idea. Also, you could avoid all these things with a simple pump in the water, to keep open water around your boat.

5) Nothing that comes to my mind at the time
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Håll dig berättelserna din engelska är ganska bra. Du kanske vill prova Google Översätt och se om hur det fungerar

Keep up the stories your english is quite good. You may want to try google translate and see if how that works
Hell no, Google translate is even worse than I am Also, thereīs a lot of stuff thatīs of no interest here -mostly small comments and off-topic stuff- that I can sort out if I translate manually
Old 09-10-2010, 08:08   #35

Sept 21, 2009

It will be interesting to see how well I have succeeded in winterizing the boat as the cold gets closer. So far itīs mainly been positive to live aboard. A few nights spent with friends or at my sister and her hubby didnīt exactly blow my mind and made me long for an apartment. But, I imagine, there will come a day when I question my choice, i.e. when the quicksilver drops to 25-30 below zero C, but Iīll deal with that when itīs time. At least I have a good deal with the marina, which letīs me use "all the power I want" so I wont have to freeze my ass off regardless of temp. If worse comes to worse, Iīll get another heating fan in addition to those I already have: 2x 1200W plus an oil filled 500W radiator. To this I also have the 4.2KW dieselheater and also invested in a 4KW LPG heater to use under the cockpit tent (that still has to be aquired). Nah, I wont freeze
Old 09-10-2010, 08:22   #36

Oct 29, 2009

A small update with what I have done to prepare for the cold days to come:

* The hull is completely isolated along w wardrobes and stowage compts
* Flooring and berths also isolated along with heating under matresses
* A 60W light bulb has been installed at every valve that goes through hull
* An extra radiator has been aquired and installed in the bow sleeping area
* Cockpit tent purchased, geez it really gave me an extra room.
* A garden like box will have its place in cockpit to store anchor, ropes etc
* All summer gear now stored with my sister and winter clothes etc aboard
* Cockpit lighting arranged
* Engine winterized, with oil changed and antifreeze checked
* Furler is ordered, and will be installed before winter comes.
* Winter pass-time like auto pilot, plotter, VHF ordered from the US
* Fuel tank drained and refilled along with anti bacteria fluid (Grotamar)
* 5 degrees below freeze outside tonight, 23 C inside on low heat makes me confident I wont freeze to death.

I guess in a way Iīm sick.. almost longing for the winter. Still there are at least 5-6 weeks of good sailing left on this season.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:41   #37

Thank you KillerBoo! Will be following this now ...
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58   #38

Mixed dates, nothing of real importance

Iīve had some mixed reactions to my choice, now when the time has come that most boats are out of the water, and people really can see Iīm serious about this. Itīs been everything from "You must be insane" to "I wish I had your determination and guts to go ahead with it" And everything in between of course

I still have no regrets. Sure the Maxi isnt the biggest boat but that too has it advantages: I donīt have to run myself tired to move from one place to another

Almost looking forward to my first christmas on board. My sister will make some of the food for me since I donīt have all the facilities to make the christmas specials. Christmas itself will be spent shared between my sister and my ex mother in law, so I get to see the kids. (They have been around much btw, but not as frequent as when it was summer and warm enough to take a swim) Hard to say if Iīve seen more or less of the kids cos of my choice to live aboard. I have no intention of finding out though haha.

In reply to a question about the costs:
Iīve never been to keen on budgets etc, keeping records just isnt my thing but as i said earlier, I am lucky enough to have a good deal with the marina so itīs cheap enough Iīll try to make an estimate though:
Marina, incl shore power, water, and garbage collecting 2K SEK (appx 350 USD) for the entire year

Laundry: Free (I collect it and dump it at my sister and sometimes my ex
haha)

Food: I have never ever calculated on food, but sure.. probably en extra pizza now and then, compared to before.

Boat insurance: The cost is the same regardless of the fact that Iīm in water all year round. Dont remember exact sum, but around 2K SEK per year, incl all the extra stuff I have insured thatīs not covered normally.

LPG for the heater in the cockpit tent is about 150 SEK/month (appx 20 USD)

One service lift and winterizing with radiators, isolation etc totalled maybe 4K SEK, but those things are bought and paid for when the next winter comes.. and the next.. so Iīm not really sure what the annual cost will be

All in all, so far its cheaper than anything else, but above all: Itīs freedom, itīs great and itīs my LIFE I play poker to make a living and even tho it wont make me fat, it keeps me alive, and I have no worries about not being able to pay bills.... I love it

Iīve bought a PS3 unit so now I canīt wait for my youngest boy to come here so I can kick his *** at Tekken 5

Gadgets etc: The worst chase after gadgets calmed down after a while: Soon I came to realize that if I dont NEED it for one reason or another, itīs not really necessarry to get it... I have the basic: TV, Laptop, Playstation, Internet and a lot of fishing gear.. what else can one ask for? Water boiler and coffemaker are 2 things I canīt live without too.

Hot running water is on my wish list, but with a water boiler itīs not something I think too much about. Sure, a bit bigger boat would maybe allow me to shower inside, but I rigged a water bag in the cockpit, and with the LPG heater on max, its possible to shower there, thos days I donīt ant to bother going to the common area w showers at the marina.

Sure, I donīt keep 8 pans, 7 whippers, or 12 plates but what I have is enough to cook and eat for 5 persons. I had all the kids here once this summer.. so we were 5 ppl AND the 40kg flatcoated retriever for 3 nights. It worked even though some logistics are necessarry
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18   #39

Nov 18

My christmas presents to myself arrived today

Standard Horizon CPF180, plotter/fishfinder combo
Raymarine VHF
Raymarine ST1000 autopilot

A happy surprise too, was that the company I got the things from had marked the package as "Gift" and downsized the value AND giftwrapped the stuff inside so customs had opened and closed the package w/o charging customs fees and VAT. Saved me a bit of money (28% or so.) Total cost was half of what it would have been if I had bought it in Sweden
Will be fun to install and play with during those cold dark winter nights to come.

I have also mounted a furler. Went with a budget thing that allowed me to use my sails without changes. If it works it does, and if not it really was so cheap I can afford to throw it away and get a Furlex or Plastimo. So far itīs been fine though, but sailing season is almost over (first snow has come and gone) so Iīll use nest summer to evaluate. I got the furler from Välkommen till Rullfock.se! if anyone has any experiences from it, Iīd appreciate some comments.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26   #40

Nov 29, 2009

Itīs chrrrristmas tiiiime tralalala lalalaaaa..
Oh well, maybe not just yet, but Iīve started the decorating..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S4300030.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	19938  
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32   #41

Nov 30

My camera isnt the best of cameras... so, when itīs dark and no flash is used the pictures do get a bit crappy.. but at least itīs cosy. Picture shows the cockpit under the tent, with the LPG heater on
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37   #42

Nov 30, 2009

Some interior pics. Itīs not a castle. Not a mansion. Itīs not even a cottage or a cabin but itīs my home and I like it there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Salong.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	19940   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB salong.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	19941  

Name:	S4300042.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	19942   Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	19943  

Old 09-10-2010, 09:46   #43

A before and after pic of the galley and an exterior of the christmas edittion of Casa De KillerBoo, better known as Moon Race
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yomt pentry.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	19944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pentry.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	19945  

Attached Images

Old 09-10-2010, 09:51   #44

Dec 2, 2009

Just recovered from the "Bacon Fever" (This is what we called the last flu, quite nasty, but have no idea what its called in english, some international flu anyway)
4 days in horisontal position, with a fever that made me see ghosts and shiver all day long. Today I managed to get out of bed, and took a "sauna" in the cockpit. all electrical heaters, along with the LPG-heater gave m close to 80 degrees C which allowed me to sweat out a lot of nastiness. Well, I survived a flu that took some lives and I did it in a 7.7 meter boat If it doesnt kill you etc..

I just pray I donīt get a stomach flu too though.. THAT would be far from fun.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:55   #45

Dec 16, 2009

The first layer of ice has come and gone.. On Lucia (swedish thing to celebrate??) I motored out to a small island nearby for a mug of hot Glögg (a swedish version of Gluhwein) All alone and with a wintery landscape it made me calm and satisfied with life.

Tags
maxi 77, Sweden