Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:27   #16

Boat: Maxi 77
Enough for one day

Iīll continue this tomorrow (or tonight if Iīm up to it)
Also, since english isnīt my main language itīs quite an effort to translate so please, let me know if you want me to continue...
Cheers and have a nice friday evening
KillerBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:29   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
A year aboard a 26' boat -- I could never do it, but I'd be interested to hear about it.

It would be even more interesting if there's an added twist ... like you also have 9 cats. lol
Haha, sorry.. no twist
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
I love it, please keep up the posts. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:19   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
helpful hint f or cleaning pots and pans--tie a string/line to the handle and then pitch overboard-- is easily retrieved!!! less pricey for replacement, unless ye wanted to replace all anyway!!!
i lived on a 26 ft islander for 2-3 yrs-- was a gas--i am no in a 41 ft formosa--loving it!! congratulations on your lifestyle-- sounds like you are enjoying it a lot!!

ps--beautiful pictures!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:06   #20

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Keep it up. I'm sure a Newbie like myself could learn from someone else's experience.

Looks good!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 20:26   #21

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Your adventure reminds me of my first liveaboard. Also a 26 foot boat, single skin glass with no insulation. I burned out 7 baseboard heaters (electric furnace) between November 1 and May 1. But it was an absolute blast, and I'd give my right arm to be able to do it again. Soon I hope. Welcome to the forum.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 20:58   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
Iīll continue this tomorrow (or tonight if Iīm up to it)
Also, since english isnīt my main language itīs quite an effort to translate so please, let me know if you want me to continue...
Cheers and have a nice friday evening
Well of course you have my complete attention! Welcome to CF fellow Maxi owner. Although some people will think we have 77 foot boats and I just let them think that way - Ha, ha.

Here in Singapore we have about 9 Maxi77s and a Maxi 100. Most have had the diesel engine removed and have a little outboard on the transom. Ours is pretty much original.

There were only a few actually imported and most of them here were made in Singapore.

Translating the posts seems like hard work but so far they are very interesting.

It is interesting how our perspective changes over the years. In Sweden the maxi was considered a family cruising yacht!

Here are some brochure clips. I have a couple of more I have never scanned in including some newspaper articles.

Also I think it is "Maxi-Sordona" or something like that that still has a few items in their catalog. I would love to get a bowsprit and swim platform.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brochure.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	19915   Click image for larger version

Name:	cutaway overhead.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	19916  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cutaway starboard.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	19917  
Attached Images

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 20:59   #23

Boat: seawind II Patience
Welcome and also live on boat.Enjoying posts.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 21:23   #24

Boat: samson c-shell
thank you for sharing your adventure with us . I admire your positive attatude
Old 08-10-2010, 23:01   #25

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
These are great posts. Pace yourself on the translations, since I'd (selfishly) hate to be deprived of the entirety of their content! Your translations skills are superb, by the way. No criticisms here.
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 00:37   #26

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
I agree with everything everyone else has said - well done! Now, where do you plan to cruise to now you have got the hang of things? When I was a kid we sailed from England to Kiel then through the canal to Copenhagen and back - magic!

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 00:54   #27

Boat: Not Yet
Awesome!

All I need to say
Sjadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:11   #28

Thanks for your positive response everyone. Iīll keep posting then
Old 09-10-2010, 06:41   #29

June 4, 2009

So far, so good. No regrets whatsoever. Sure, thereīs been some issues but to every problem thereīs at least 2 solutions. I mentioned in an earlier post that my main concern would be to fit the winter fishing gear in the boat, when that time comes.. well, at least I managed to fit the sumer gear: 3 rod bags, 20+ rods, 2 rod pods, bite alarms tent etc etc for now, and the winter gear is stored with my sister in her house so when the time comes, Iīll just swap oen season for another Also, Iīm looking for a "cock pit tent" (Unknown word for me, but I hope you know what I mean by that. I found one, and picture will come later on) The starboard side roof now has the 6 most used rods hanging in place. Fitted them with velcro so they stay in place but simple to detach. Next thing to get will be a genoa furler. Will save a lot of place if I donīt have to keep a lot of "sheets" on board. Iīll settle for a big furling genoa, and store the other sails at my sisters house.

For every day that passes, I get more and more convinced this is the life for me. Since I got the boat Iīve slept one night in a bed ashore. Surprisng how fast you adapt: I couldnt sleep at all, just laid there waiting for a wave to give me a gentle swing. Missed the characteristic sound of water against the hull, sea gulls doing their thing etc. Felt a bit like I imagine a junkie will feel when out of shots.. restless and irritable.

There arenīt many "must doīs" these days. Some looking after the boat oc, and still a lot of stuff to be done before the fall comes but those are not so much a must do as it is a want to do. In comparison to living in the house.... I never liked the taking care of things with a house.. nowadays I can just say:
Yesterday I mowed the lawn.... NOT
Yesterday I brushed the garage floor... NAAAAH
Tomorrow I have to start repainting the house... OOOOH NOPE

Rather: I think Iīll go out on my "veranda" and have a beer while I try to catch some perch for lunch, or.. I think Iīll step outside for a bath.

To put it short: Can life get better? The kids love the idea and the only "problem" is that so far I have barely had a weekend for myself. They come and go as they please and all I do is get back to the marina every friday efternoon and thereīs at least one of them wating eagerly. Prior to the descision this was one of my biggest fears.. that theyīd prefer to stay at home. Oh well, winter is yet to come and I hope they wont think itīs too complicated when the snow and ice is here.

Most complicated so far is doing the dishes. I like to cook. With cooking comes pots and pans. If I make a 3 course meal the galley (the whole inside of the boat really) looks like one huge dishing machine.. I like to cook, but I HATE to do the dishes.. but since I havenīt come around to do a service lift to put in a thru hull connector for fresh water from the lake, itīs more the rinsing thatīs a problem. One sink, but no running water (except drinking water, but I donīt want to use that). Another point to add to the list of to-doīs before it gets too cold to rinse the dishes by leaning overboard.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:59   #30

June 17, 2009

Insulation is completed. The whole inside of the hull is covered with dual layers of foam. Also all berths got their share of it, under the matresses. Inside the stowage spaces and the floor is also complete. Remains just one layer of foam on the starboard side astern plus the wall carpet on the same place
So far thereīs been no condensation anywhere. This is however something I "worry" about. If it gets cold enough there will probably be some areas that gathers condensation. I will just have to wait and see. The 2 wardrobes is most likely to collect moisture, since they are packed and with no ventilation. One idea is to install a couple of computer fans for air sirculation in these compartments. I have done what I can to isolate the boat, now itīs just a waiting game until the winter arrives and then take it from there.
Itīs been freezing cold outside the last few nights but inside, even with the heater barely on a minimum, the temperature has been a nice 17-18 C. During the days its been really hot though, but the inside of the boat then has stayed nice and relatively cool.

The electrical wiring is also completed. On a boat this old it feels good to know what every cable is for and where it leads.

Tags
maxi 77, Sweden