Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2010, 13:08   #106

Boat: Maxi 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
Yes, we also have Clas Ohlson here. I'll see which is cheapest.

I'm curious what the legal status is regarding liveaboards in Sweden. Technically, it's not allowed in Finland, though there are activists working on getting that changed. It's necessary to be very low key and have some other 'normal' mailing address that is your official residence, etc.

Is your slip at the marina your official address, or do you also have to pretend to live somewhere else?
There is no general law that I know of that forbids you to live aboard in Swe. Some cities may frown upon it, but since itīs not spoken out explicitly in any law, they cant do anything bout it. I have a PR adress for my mail (I pick it up at the post office) but residential adress is just the marinas name, and the pier/pontoon #. Noones hazzled me about it yet tho. IF they do, Screw em. Try to find me if you can. Its like "Theres-not-a-law-against-being-homeless-and-if-I-have-a-boat-I-live-on-it-as-much-as-I-want" kinda thing

Old 21-10-2010, 22:45   #107

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
There is no general law that I know of that forbids you to live aboard in Swe. Some cities may frown upon it, but since itīs not spoken out explicitly in any law, they cant do anything bout it. I have a PR adress for my mail (I pick it up at the post office) but residential adress is just the marinas name, and the pier/pontoon #. Noones hazzled me about it yet tho. IF they do, Screw em. Try to find me if you can. Its like "Theres-not-a-law-against-being-homeless-and-if-I-have-a-boat-I-live-on-it-as-much-as-I-want" kinda thing
You're more fortunate than I. In Finland, it's explicitly illegal to be indigent, and living on a boat, or in a caravan, or tent, etc. basically anything "off the grid" without an address recognized by the post office counts as indigent. So to liveaboard in Finland, one must maintain another residence (in truth or just appearance) and also be low key on the boat, as most towns are not favorable to liveaboards and will boot you out of the marina if caught.

At least the yearly marina fees are cheap (comparable to what you are paying) and have unmetered electricity and water. Still haven't found out yet if my marina shuts the power off during the winter (and haven't thought of a way to ask without giving myself away ;-)

Old 21-10-2010, 23:01   #108

Quote:
I have also mounted a furler. Went with a budget thing that allowed me to use my sails without changes. If it works it does, and if not it really was so cheap I can afford to throw it away and get a Furlex or Plastimo. So far itīs been fine though, but sailing season is almost over (first snow has come and gone) so Iīll use nest summer to evaluate. I got the furler from Välkommen till Rullfock.se! if anyone has any experiences from it, Iīd appreciate some comments.
What has been your experience with this furler? Do I understand correctly that it works with hank on foresails, both so that you don't need to modify the sails and also, most importantly to me, if the furler fails or jams, you can still change sails normally (presumably using a separate halyard)?

After using it for at least one season, are you happy with it?
Old 22-10-2010, 07:54   #109

Quote:
You're more fortunate than I. In Finland, it's explicitly illegal to be indigent, and living on a boat, or in a caravan, or tent, etc. basically anything "off the grid" without an address recognized by the post office counts as indigent. So to liveaboard in Finland, one must maintain another residence (in truth or just appearance) and also be low key on the boat, as most towns are not favorable to liveaboards and will boot you out of the marina if caught.

At least the yearly marina fees are cheap (comparable to what you are paying) and have unmetered electricity and water. Still haven't found out yet if my marina shuts the power off during the winter (and haven't thought of a way to ask without giving myself away ;-)
If thereīs such a law then maybe a simple c/o adress would do the trick as far as the post office are concerned. Who is to say that you dont live with your sister/brother/mother whatever.. And where do they draw the line? Unless a specified number of nights, who is to say youīre not just taking "time off" from your mean sister/brother.. It seems to me like it would be a law w/o teeth so to say.Yhe marinas choice not to allow liveaboards would be a bit harder to work through Iīd guess? Call it a temp solution, due to a divorce or rosmething like that perhaps? Once the ice is set they can hardly kick you out hehe
Old 22-10-2010, 08:10   #110

Quote:
If thereīs such a law then maybe a simple c/o adress would do the trick as far as the post office are concerned. Who is to say that you dont live with your sister/brother/mother whatever.. And where do they draw the line? Unless a specified number of nights, who is to say youīre not just taking "time off" from your mean sister/brother.. It seems to me like it would be a law w/o teeth so to say.Yhe marinas choice not to allow liveaboards would be a bit harder to work through Iīd guess? Call it a temp solution, due to a divorce or rosmething like that perhaps? Once the ice is set they can hardly kick you out hehe
Yes. The usual approach appears to be to have your 'residence' with a friend, relative, ex, etc. and have a post office box for mail.

The tricky bit is that most city marina rules explicitly forbid liveaboard and even spell out how frequently one can overnight at the marina. I think their main concern is electricity consumption, since there is no per-slip metering.

True, it's unlikely that any will aggressively police the issue, and I expect to stay below the radar, but they can in fact "kick you out" as far as living aboard is concerned, even if you have to leave your boat ice-locked.

There is an experimental liveaboard marina in eastern Helsinki, which is always an option, but it would mean a work commute of around an hour each way, which is not very nice.

I'm also considering trying to find a private berth for the winter, from someone who has a dock but hauls their boat for the winter, where I work out a deal about electricity, etc. That would probably be the most reliable and trouble free solution -- though more expensive than at the city marina.

We'll see....
Old 22-10-2010, 08:20   #111

Quote:
What has been your experience with this furler? Do I understand correctly that it works with hank on foresails, both so that you don't need to modify the sails and also, most importantly to me, if the furler fails or jams, you can still change sails normally (presumably using a separate halyard)?

After using it for at least one season, are you happy with it?
Itīs worked very well actually. You have to shorten the forestay oc, to fit it, and they enclosed some very suspicious wirelocks to use in that process, together with a thimble (Google translate says thats what its called.. swe is kaus). I didnt trust those so had a rigger press a new end terminal in one of the stay ends. They all say it will be strong, but I donīt trust them so..
After having sailed with it just a few times the furler stopped working. Couldnīt roll either in or out. When I contacted the company they siad that it was the 2nd failure in a short time and that they were in the process of tracking the buyers of systems purchased that were equipped with a faulty bearing. They sent me new ones by mail the very same day (this was a sunday) so I had the bearings at hand the day after. Since then itīs been flawless.
Iīm very satisfied with the solution. My boat just isnīt worth buying a furlex or similar. The cost just isnīt justified compared to what the boat itself is worth so for me it was a very good alternative.
As you have understood, you do use your sails, unmodified.

Since you do use the existing sails, you obv donīt get a very efficient sail while going upwind, with sail reefed/rolled in but on the other hand, changing sails can be done in good time if you suspect really nasty weather and itīs done in the same time as if you didnīt have the roller at all. I first used my 150% genoa but thatīs not very good in windy conditions. I normally use the 110% and roll it in a little bit and get acceptable performance. If light winds, I change before going out. Takes me 5 minutes and I get the better out of the sails this way, compared to a "standard" system which will always be a compromise between performance and comfort. The present halyard isnīt used, but exchanged with a dedicated one, mounted through a pulley (again google translate, block in swedish) on the roller at the top of the mast.

Iīm happy with it. It does itīs job very well, though I really donīt have much to compare with.
Only problem rolling in was in severe weather, when I was out fooling around with 150% genny in 17-19 m/s. Was tough to get it rolled in, but then again.. it was stupid of me to even use that lightwind sail.

In short, ye I wont hesitate to recommend it as a cheap solution that works fine, however maybe not optimal when reefing more than just a a couple of revolutions.
Old 22-10-2010, 08:39   #112

Quote:
Itīs worked very well actually. You have to shorten the forestay oc, to fit it, and they enclosed some very suspicious wirelocks to use in that process, together with a thimble (Google translate says thats what its called.. swe is kaus). I didnt trust those so had a rigger press a new end terminal in one of the stay ends. They all say it will be strong, but I donīt trust them so..
After having sailed with it just a few times the furler stopped working. Couldnīt roll either in or out. When I contacted the company they siad that it was the 2nd failure in a short time and that they were in the process of tracking the buyers of systems purchased that were equipped with a faulty bearing. They sent me new ones by mail the very same day (this was a sunday) so I had the bearings at hand the day after. Since then itīs been flawless.
Iīm very satisfied with the solution. My boat just isnīt worth buying a furlex or similar. The cost just isnīt justified compared to what the boat itself is worth so for me it was a very good alternative.
As you have understood, you do use your sails, unmodified.

Since you do use the existing sails, you obv donīt get a very efficient sail while going upwind, with sail reefed/rolled in but on the other hand, changing sails can be done in good time if you suspect really nasty weather and itīs done in the same time as if you didnīt have the roller at all. I first used my 150% genoa but thatīs not very good in windy conditions. I normally use the 110% and roll it in a little bit and get acceptable performance. If light winds, I change before going out. Takes me 5 minutes and I get the better out of the sails this way, compared to a "standard" system which will always be a compromise between performance and comfort. The present halyard isnīt used, but exchanged with a dedicated one, mounted through a pulley (again google translate, block in swedish) on the roller at the top of the mast.

Iīm happy with it. It does itīs job very well, though I really donīt have much to compare with.
Only problem rolling in was in severe weather, when I was out fooling around with 150% genny in 17-19 m/s. Was tough to get it rolled in, but then again.. it was stupid of me to even use that lightwind sail.

In short, ye I wont hesitate to recommend it as a cheap solution that works fine, however maybe not optimal when reefing more than just a a couple of revolutions.
Thanks for the detailed report. I think I'll order one and give it a try.
Old 20-09-2011, 14:24   #113

Boat: 27ft catalina
Re: Life Aboard a (Very) Small Sailboat in Scandinavia

killerboo are you still living aboard ? have enjoyed your posts but havent seen anything in quite some time.

Tags
maxi 77, Sweden

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: