Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 09:26   #61

Boat: Maxi 77
Pictures

A couple of pictures.. for those who have never seen winter
My boat and also friends boat, on the swedish west coast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330342.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	19982   Click image for larger version

Name:	330152.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	19983  

KillerBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 18:56   #62

These are a lot of fun to read - thanks for taking the time, and keep posting! We've lived on a 33-foot boat for 8 years, including 6 winters in the Chesapeake (near Washington DC) USA, but never anything as cold and dark and snowy as your pictures.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 23:46   #63

Thank you! and please do pace yourself ...
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:27   #64

Thank you guys,
Iīm doing my best to just translate/transfer what may be of interest. The original thread has a lot of side tracks since I get a lot of questions already answered and positive feedback on my "guts" and determination. Things of no real interest this long after the postings. So much time aboard is occupied by the same things as everyone already know of and understand from ordinary boat life, so really just of no reading interest.

My main attitude towards life itself is that nothing is impossible. Iīm a "If you want it, then do it"-kinda guy and this makes things easier when I encounter a problem that many boaters find impossible to solve.. being a toilet issue or just how to keep a happy face after 2 weeks of rain.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:41   #65

Various dates late jan, 2010

Reports are being made from around Sweden, about temps above freezing point. Well, so far not here.. but a nice, steady 2 to 3 below is actually starting to feel like the tropics even here. After 3 weeks of extreme cold, even for this part of Sweden, Iīve been wondering if global heating isnīt just a big hoax.

A lot of books about circumnavigation, 2-3 year long cruises etc have been consumed with great appetite and thereīs a spot, far back in my (sometimes not very bright) brain thatīs started to knaw... "why not at least do the canals of Europe, down to the Med?" At least after a winter on this small boat, I know I wonīt get claustrophobic and the idea really appeals to me. Only prob is to get the means to do it. The poker games keep me afloat, but it wonīt allow for any major extras and Iīm not too keen on getting back to a dayjob. Iīm lucky as it is, to be able to live my dream and wake up where I want to, during the non-ice season.

I canīt wait for the ice to go, but that will probably take another 2 months

Iīve slept perhaps 15 nights away from the boat, and every time Iīve longed back. I like it in small areas. A house just isnīt for me.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:43   #66

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
Iīve been living on board my Maxi77 since march 2009. Itīs a small boat.. in some eyes too small even to be called Compact Living
Thanks for showing you don’t need a million dollar boat navigating through the tropics to enjoy cruising. I have been looking a bit further a field for inspiration and here is a link that might even excite you?

Introduction to the junk-rigged Corribee Mingming

(Noting my post 369! Getting a bit numerically superstitions or are things finally start to add up with innuendos of nearing gratification?)
Old 11-10-2010, 03:50   #67

Jan 22, 2010

Got stuck in the SOL-swamp. ( Sailonline.org - Online Sailing ) Itīs a site for virtually simulating sailing races that uses real time weather forecasts to set the conditions. Itīs fun, itīs addictive and the next best thing when Iīm frozen in.

(To those of you that havenīt already tried it, check it out, itīs free but it requires some time to spare if you want to finish in good positions)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:00   #68

Feb 2, 2010

Still all good aboard.
The snow just had a relapse along with the cold.
The small pump I use, to keep open water, just gave up on me. Since this is a budget solution instead of getting a real (and really expensive) de-icer I bought 2 of them. Iīve launched the spare now and will get the worked out one exchanged on a warranty claim
I must say tho, I paid less than 700SEK for the 2 pumps and never expected it to last this long, running more or less continously. A very cheap and very effective solution to the ice problem. The larger one has a power consumption of 750W and the smaller one is at 350W. The smallest availble is at 275W I think, and that would probably have done the job as well. No need to keep "half the marina" de-iced even tho some sport anglers have been happy to use it to put their fish traps in, to get bait for pike fishing. No fun to hack up holes at 1x1 metre through 60 cm of solid core ice
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04   #69

Feb 3, 2010

Still snowing. 30 cm (10+ in) since last night. Grrr.. I HATE winter, but at least I donīt have a whole front yard to clear from snow.

Something went bad onthe SOL-race to Durban tonight. Went from top 50 down to 400-something. Fell asleep I guess.. and my track log looked like an EKG taken off a horny rat
Old 11-10-2010, 04:17   #70

Feb 17, 2010

Yuck. Things have been great. The cold has been off and on with some major differences. Still not a single degree above freeze though. But itīs been climbing steadily and I thought.. "Yes, the worst is over" and then... a cold showeer in the shape of the local nespaper: The entire Lake Vänern is now covered with ice. Ice breakers been called up to assist freighters south bound for Gothenburg but the closest one is... yep, frozen in, somewhere along the Göta Älv. (This lake is -as I said earlier- pretty big and last time it was completely covered with ice was sometime in the late 80īs)

Iīve sure picked the right winter to try out liveaboard... Thanks to frequent use of both electric- and diesel heater Iīve managed to keep the boat warmer than most ordinary homes though, so I havenīt really suffered at all.

Thereīs an older gentleman that comes down every now and then. He brings freshly baked buns, cookies and things, and I make the coffee (or glögg) and we use to sit outside, on the pier, discussing lifeīs necessities and old memories from his and my own early days. not much beats sitting outside a cold evening, under a starry heaven and just dream away if you have the right company.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:27   #71

March 11, 2010

No surprises, ugly or good, lately. Ice is still pretty thick and my friend just took his first swim.. but he CAME back wanting to get back inside the warmer cockpit.

EDIT:
Crap, oc I missed to translate the post related to the "friend". Oh well, hereīs a summary:

Iīve got a tennant..

A poor bird that I found exhausted near my little swimming pool around the boat. A dopping (have no idea whatsoever what it might be called in english, but it lives on fish and since Vänern still is covered with ice, it canīt feed).

I took him in, placed him in a box in the cockpit and Iīve been feeding him tiny slices of fresh fish and heīs slowly recovering, feeding from my hand. Iīve tried to let him go a couple of times, but heīs showed no interest in leaving. Iīll attach e couple of pics in the next post
Old 11-10-2010, 04:38   #72

The one wearing clothes isnīt the bird... thatīs my youngest daughter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	staffankomp1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	20013   Click image for larger version

Name:	staffankomp2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	20014  

Name:	staffankomp3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	20015   Click image for larger version

Name:	staffankomp4.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	20016  

Old 11-10-2010, 04:43   #73

Boo:

Like many others. I am enjoying your posts. Some people who have never lived on board may find it strange. But, those who have (like me) know what you are writing about. I agree best place to dine is on board. We always have a waterfront view! Really enjoying your experiences in Sweden and looking forward to your next experience.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44   #74

March 31, 2010

Always fun to be an inspiration. One of the guys following the original thread dropped a line telling me he just bought a Maxi77 and was planning to at least "semi" liveaboard. (From may through oct)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:52   #75

April 1, 2010

And it didnīt take long until a reply post was made from another guy saying: "If this keeps up, weīll soon see real estate taxes for Maxi-boats" haha

Itīs not always been a bed of roses but so far Iīm actually quite satisfied. During the harsh nights of a winter colder than noone remembers Iīve never been cold. Iīve slept better and woken up much more rested than ever before in a bed in a land based living. The project or what to call it (to see if it was possible or not to live in a small boat) is coming to an end, spring time is closing in and when the temperatures are constntly above freezing (wont be long now) thereīs not much more of a challenge to be made. However, most things points towards continuing to live aboard. Itīs cheap, itīs cosy and I am where I feel I want to be. The upsides are far more than the downsides and having a winter like this one behind me only makes it all the more likely that I will stay on board. For now, I just canīt wait to be able to set sails again.

Tags
maxi 77, Sweden