Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 06:54   #1

Boat: Dufour 35
Lee Cloths

Howdy, Still prepping the boats for a spring 2019 departure for Nova Scotia, Ireland etc. We are on year four of a four-year deck redo. We are officially experts at digging out soft spots, replacing wood and re-glassing. The cockpit is our winter project. All hardware out, cleaned, or replaced then we will re paint brightsides and add kiwi grip. Repositioning electronics etc. WHEW!

ANYWAY, another little project for the winter is sewing lee cloths. I've never used them but we'll obviously need them now. I have bought my fabric and was looking the plan over at the boat this weekend but wanted to know from anyone who's needed/used them what you would recommend/caution against regarding height (looking at 24") or securing them (planning on straps going up to hand rails.

So, if anyone has any "make sure you....." let me know before I make the first cut. I prefer not to do this twice (although I can certainly use the sewing practice)

THANKS everyone. Obviously not an earth shattering post but hoping to benefit from other sailor's experience.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:30   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Lee Cloths

Mine are about 18 inches above the cushion top. Factor in the attachment point, cushion thickness etc. We have grommets with 1/4 inch 3 braid that ties to the handrails.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:43   #3

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Our boat came with lee cloths for all berths and even the main salon setees. A few of them, however, were fitted with plastic hooks. We have found that in rough seas being thrown against a lee cloth with a plastic hook often results in the hook flexing open and crew being dumped unceremoniously on the sole. Replacing the weak hooks is on my to-do list. If installing new lee cloths, I would advise making sure the lines and hardware holding them are up to the task.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:24   #4

Thank you. I'll be careful with the attachment points and hardware. Sounds like my 23-24' height from cushion should work too! MERCI!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:32   #5

It doesn't take much height to keep you in place. I think mine were 14-16"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:17   #6

Thanks. I think keeping them a little shorter will make them easier to store as well as getting in/out of!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:22   #7

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

When/if you get to somewhere warmer than lake Superior you will want them short to allow as much ventilation as possible.

Also, they don't need to be the full length of the bunk; A 2' space at either end is handy for entry/exit and to feel less claustrophobic.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:29   #8

Probably true (although Lake Superior is in a heat wave right now!!! 40s!) I bought an open weave fabric to help with that too. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:38   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Jill,

Usually they stay in place under the cushions with their lines attached, so no extra storage is needed. Ours are fixed to the seat bottom at the inboard edge by a slender lath, which is in a canvas pocket at the bottom, screwed down, through the canvas, to the lip that holds the cushion in place. The finished height is 14-1/2", and more than adequate for both of us.

Our boat has deck beams, and the three over the settee have pad eyes mounted, and we tie ours up with rolling hitches. There are also pad eyes at the inboard ends of the settee, so a short lashing there makes it quite secure. We had brass snap hooks, but one broke, landing me on the cabin sole, didn't like that, and line works fine.

It is mainly your head and torso that needs to be stopped, so you don't have to make lee cloths over long. Ours pretty much fill the whole area, but I usually only secure the head end, and the forward two lines, so I can easily get in and out of the berth.

Enjoy your project.

Ann
Old 07-12-2015, 12:52   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My lee cloths are made of mesh, and have stowage pockets sewn on the inside and outside. They have a bolt-rope which slides into a sail track mounted under under the bunk cushion. They have grommets and are lashed to the overhead handholds. The lashings have snap-hooks to make it somewhat easier to get in and out of the bunk.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:15   #11

Thanks All, Super ideas for a novice lee cloth lady. I was planning to attach the bottom allllll the way back on the outside wall of the settee so the fabric would run under the cushion then up to be fastened on the handrails. I was nervous about putting screws anywhere near the storage area as it holds our water tanks. I like the bolt rope AND the lath ideas. THANKS AGAIN

And, after Nova Scotia, Ireland, Scotland...we make a Southern turn to warm climates so good ventilation will eventually be key!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:12   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

How to Make Lee Cloths Video

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:04   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've done the secure them with ropes to an overhead rail thing. But found that I much prefer the attachments to be setup akin to the adjustment lines on pipe berths. So that on the upper edge of the lee cloth, you have a Stiff, Strong, length of wood (or better, G10 or Aluminum). And I attach the hardware to this. Generally via a strap which goes all of the way around the "batten" on the upper end. So that the hardware is attached to it in a soft fashion, much like using a Spectra strop for the mainsheet block.

The upper batten/rail, also assists in making the upper edge of the lee cloth more substantial, & in keeping the unit well & evenly tensioned. Unlike what often is the case with soft edged lee cloths.
Plus, it then also serves as an ad hoc grab rail, should an on watch crewmember lose their footing while belowdecks.

Be sure that all of the batten's edges are rounded & or eased. Also, the blocks & hardware can be found for pocket change at any used gear reseller, Ebay, or swap meet. So it needn't be an expensive system.

If you use two pieces of G10 or Aluminum, through bolted together, through the upper edge of the lee cloth, then it lays pretty flat underneath of the bunk cushion, up against the side of the hull, when not in use. Ditto on stowing the hardware & lines in said locale.
And I'm a fan of using snap hooks, or carabiners to attach the adjustment hardware to the overhead hard points. So as to facilitate the ease of stowage of said hardware, when it's not in use.

To me, it's preferential to use a lath as Ann T. Cate suggests, for securing the fabric to the bunk top. Albeit usually an aluminum one (lath), through bolted to the bunk top, with large backing washers, & acorn nuts (so that there's naught for anything to chafe on inside of the under bunk lockers).
And yes, it sounds like overkill, attachment wise. But I've been out in some storms, during which you'd probably rather be back in the club, watching the blow unfold, while sipping coffee, laced with Bailey's ;-)

Also, if you like the quick adjustable setup, but not the batten, nothing mandates that you use one. Just be sure that the cloth which you use, & the attachment points for the adjusting lines is up for the load.
*The load being; several times the weight of the heaviest crewmember (say 4x+). As at times, the weight of the sleeper (times 2-3g's) may bear on just one of the attachment points on the cloth.

My preference for this kind of setup, is that it makes it Very quick (& easy) to get out of your berth in a hurry, should the need arise. In addition to it allowing for easy tuning of the lee cloth while laying in your bunk. And it's a long proven, common sense design.

Plus, to assist with the "tunable" aspect of the lee cloth (as mentioned above) you can put the padeyes in the overhead, positioned somewhat inboard from the bunk's outer edge, so that the lee cloth snugly cradles the sleeper if you really tighten up it's lines.
Which makes for a very secure way to sleep if it's at all rough. Up to & including the kind of conditions which would normally make you "levitate" up off of your bunk. So this assists in preventing that. Making for better sleep quality.

Plus, there's nothing which says you only have to have one set of padeyes in the overhead. And if you like the look, try using a 2m'ish long piece of slotted toe rail instead of padeyes. As it gives you lots of options for hanging other things from the overhead as well. And it can also be used as an underdeck backing plate for your jib tracks.
For visual prettyness, if you like, you can tuck such a track in behind a longitudinal teak rail mounted to the overhead.

FYI, using a mesh type of cloth for all but the edges of the lee cloth is preferable, as it breaths in warm weather. Which is kind of a necessity anywhere warm.
On it's upper edge(s), as well as the leading & trailing ones, you'll need to stitch (& or glue) a perimeter of standard, heavy weight cloth. For this, in the past, I've just used bits of sail cloth, or scraps of Sunbrella. But anything strong should work.

PS: Generally it helps to keep better tension on the securing lines, if they're led to attachment points which are a little bit ahead of or behind where they're attached to the lee cloth itself.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:30   #14

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Sailrite, at sailrite.com, has a free video on their site on how to make and secure lee cloths. They show a couple of different ways, and there are others as noted in the other posts. Sailrite has many other videos, and DVDs you can purchase, on many canvas how-to's. Also great sewing machines and supplies. I want to make some lee cloths for our boat too. They really help with keeping chilly winds and nasty seas out of the cockpit.

I think I would install them so they are relatively easy to put up and take off when you don't need them as they do complicate some line handling (sailing and docking) and you don't need them in really warm climates when not on long passages. Although they do give more privacy if that is necessary.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:23   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

exMaggieDrum,
I'm fairly certain that the OP is referring to the type of lee cloths which one uses to rig berths ffor sea passages, so that the crew stays put in their bunks while asleep.

To the OP, there is a sewing sub-forum/group here on CF. Go to the tab which says "Community", click on the down arrow, & when the menu drops down, click on Groups, & it'll lead you to a menu with a partial listing of the various groups on CF. And if you click on "All Groups", it'll show you the one which I'm speaking of - the "Sewing Group: Boat & Canvas Projects" - here Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects

There may be some helpful info in there for your projects.
Good Luck!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote