Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 21:51   #1

Boat: Cal 34 Mk. III
Laundry

How do you guys deal with laundry on board? I live in a tourist trap so all the local laundromats are overpriced. I actually picked up a manual washer for the boat, works great except for drying. Seems like no matter how long I leave the laundry hanging it will never fully dry. Not a huge surprise, wondering how others deal with this problem.
Flying Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 00:24   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Laundry

Wash the items before breakfast. I used to use buckets. You might have to do another rinse, unless you're using ammonia for washing.

Hang them out as early as possible, and bring them in before 1700. Works for me.

Ann
Old 28-06-2014, 01:47   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

So far with charter boats had to use laundromats. Never mind the price but not a fan of carrying my clothes around marinas and towns. For my own oneof build I have a place for a standard domestic washer dryer.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 02:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I have a combo washer/dryer on board, a German Eumenia/Eudora unit which was part of the original build of my boat. It lives in its own cabinet under a pilot berth in my passage cabin/workshop, and can be operated off shore power, generator, or even inverter. It uses a lot of water, and has very small capacity compared to domestic units (especially when drying), but it's worth it.

Before this boat, finding a way to get clothes clean was always one of the biggest PITA's while cruising for me, time consuming and distracting. In my opinion, this is one of the most worthwhile conveniences to have on board for anyone who cruises long distance or spends a lot of time on board.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 06:09   #5

Boat: Dolphin 460

Try some form of spin dryer (can Google it) - makes a huge difference. Some are just a bit bigger than a bucket. They centrifuge out the excess water to make line drying much quicker.

Cheers
Old 28-06-2014, 06:47   #6

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Try some form of spin dryer (can Google it) - makes a huge difference. Some are just a bit bigger than a bucket. They centrifuge out the excess water to make line drying much quicker.

Cheers
+1. There are manual ones that are usually designed for vegetables in restaurants(about 5gal) and there are electric ones which spin at such high speed they get almost all the water out. And I've never used ammonia but I hear it works great and supposedly you don't have to rinse your clothes off after the wash
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 18:57   #7

Boat: Nicholson 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knight View Post
How do you guys deal with laundry on board? I live in a tourist trap so all the local laundromats are overpriced. I actually picked up a manual washer for the boat, works great except for drying. Seems like no matter how long I leave the laundry hanging it will never fully dry. Not a huge surprise, wondering how others deal with this problem.

Hey Flying knight, Have you looked at these? sure you could pinch some water from a tap when your ashore.

Kiwi Camping Camping Portable Washing Machine | ACCLDCWM | Camping/Camping accessories | Outdoors Domain
BPetrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 10:18   #8

I have a Splendide ventless washer/dryer combo. Best purchase I ever made. Makes loving aboard really possible. The Ice maker is a close second!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Chris in destin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 11:10   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knight View Post
How do you guys deal with laundry on board? I live in a tourist trap so all the local laundromats are overpriced. ..............
I was curious about these costs. I am aware that most of the responses have been directly anwering your question about doing the laundry on board, but we are not satisfied with alotting space or water to this task aboard. When we are cruising we use far less clothing and we do often rinse some of our clothes and hang them to dry, but when we do accumulate laundry or if we are at a marina for some time, we're off to the laundromat. Most of our cruising ports are "tourist" areas, but we find a typical single load costs from about three or four dollars. Is the coin laundry cost much higher on the West Coast? 'just curious...
Old 23-07-2014, 12:54   #10

Boat: csy 37

Same as hudson force. We dont wear as much and what we do wear is easy to wash. Some things we wash while showering and hang on the lifelines. Some things we wash in a bucket. Eventually we do get a laundry bag full and go find a washer/dryer ashore.
And sometimes you get lucky. We woke up one morning in the exumas to find the dinghy full of water after a night long rainstorm. Instant laundromat!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 14:08   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If it's drying that's the problem you need one of these.

Laundromats are expensive in the Bahamas and the water is cold and the dryers are slow. Easily more than twice the price of Miami. Luckily we don't wear a lot of clothes but there are the sheets and towels.
Old 23-07-2014, 14:09   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've found towels etc. to dry rather quickly if hung on the lifelines, towels being among the hardest to dry, is this not the norm?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 14:19   #13

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've found towels etc. to dry rather quickly if hung on the lifelines, towels being among the hardest to dry, is this not the norm?

Depends a lot on the climate. In Miami, nothing is ever dry. In San Diago, it is hard to keep a damp rag on hand while working on projects.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-07-2014, 14:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Matches my experience, but I found that bedsheets are the most difficult items to wash and dry on a boat because of their size.

Also, my clothes are made from quick-dry fabric, not cotton. Spendier, but worth it.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 18:16   #15

Boat: Cal 34 Mk. III

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around where I can put one of these splendide machines on my boat as I'm convinced this is the way I'll end up going. Right now I'm not sure the best location. I tried out the "wonder wash" which is the american equivalent of the machine linked to above, paired with a wringer. Results were better but it just didn't get the clothes clean enough. I'm back at the laundromat... for now.

As for cost on the west coast, $5 per load in the washer plus $5+ to dry everything. I never walk out paying less than $30. Probably better at the larger ports of call as you can venture inland and find a neighborhood facility that's more reasonably priced.

Are you a liveaboard? If I was just pleasure cruising the weekend I wouldn't think twice about the cost, but at the end of the year I've bought a couple of the machines in the laundromat and paid for the entire water cost in the place. In addition I'm none too happy with what I'm paying for either. Not a lot of smiling faces in the laundromat. The "industrial" washers have tubs half the size of a home machine and driers can be a big flop leaving clothes moist after a couple hours.

If you're just coming out here to charter a boat though, don't give it a second thought. Use the laundromats and meet some locals.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Flying Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laundry