Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-07-2016, 20:43   #31

Boat: Sampson, seashell, 36'
Re: Latex vs Foam mattresses ?

Launched my 36' ketch in Nov of 1991 with a brand new foam mattress, 3 years later I was shopping for a new mattress and discovered latex foam. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'm still using the same one, that's going on 23 years. Yes it's heavy and hard to move around, but not impossible, I don't need to move it around much; just to put a fitted sheet on it. It's expensive but worth it considering the number of foam mattress's I would have had to replace the original with. To say nothing about the difference in comfort after the first year.
I'm a full time live aboard.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:51   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
There are two types of latex but they are both natural. The difference is in how the latex rubber is processed into foam. The traditional process is called Dunlop. It tends to be slightly firmer on its bottom side due to the process. The other process is called Talalay. It has a more consistent cell structure. Both types come in a various degrees of firmness. Latex actually tends to sleep a little cooler than memory foam. I've been sleeping on one for several years and wouldn't trade it for anything. For a good independent view; www.sleeplikethedead.com
Thanks for the primer on types of latex foam. someone mentioned Memory Foam, the most uncomfortable stuff I have slept on. JMHO

Old 12-07-2016, 08:36   #33

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat

We feel Latex is far superior to foam (temperpedic). We have latex on our boat and in our home. There is a company in West Palm Beach, Fl. that custom makes any kind of mattress you want for your boat at reasonable prices and is a pleasure to deal with:
Schrader Mattresses-West Pam Beach
Good Luck
Old 12-07-2016, 14:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Thanks for the primer on types of latex foam. someone mentioned Memory Foam, the most uncomfortable stuff I have slept on. JMHO
Tried memory foam (polyurethane foam) at several stores. Didn't like the feel of sinking in. It felt more like it would tend to hold me in place than let me move around. Im in the plastics business and have a great respect for polyurethane. Both rigid and foam have some great attributes. Just didn't like the feel and in the end that's what it is all about. What feels good.
Old 12-07-2016, 14:42   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

man made latex is not latex. latex is natural rubber. man made is not latex. man made is pricier yes and worth it.
memory foam and the heavy pads are not latex. latex is light weight.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 15:07   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
Tried memory foam (polyurethane foam) at several stores. Didn't like the feel of sinking in. It felt more like it would tend to hold me in place than let me move around. Im in the plastics business and have a great respect for polyurethane. Both rigid and foam have some great attributes. Just didn't like the feel and in the end that's what it is all about. What feels good.
I think you and I have had the same experience. Your butt makes a detent and you are stuck with it. It is like falling in a hole.
Old 12-07-2016, 16:25   #37

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Some contradictory and confusing info here, so I have done a bit of searching on the web and learned a bit.

Of course all foams that are not latex are synthetic, which is to say created (synthesized) chemically from petroleum. Foams that are sold as latex are not necessarily "natural", but can be 100% natural (i.e. made exclusively from the latex of the rubber tree), 100% synthetic, or a blend of the two. Since the synthetic "latex" is less expensive than the natural latex, suspect synthetic unless it says clearly that it is 100% natural latex (and even then be a little suspicious). Blends seem to be largely a way of selling synthetics, with a little natural latex added to make it appear more premium. There seems to be a consensus that the natural latex performs better than the synthetic version, and can claim to be greener (no petrochemicals).

All foams, including latex, offer a range of densities (not talking about weight). So just because you know the chemical type of foam used in your mattress doesn't mean you know how it will feel (e.g. not all 100% natural latex is the same density, and thus can vary a lot in comfort depending on your preference).

Weight is a different matter. The range of synthetic foams, not including memory or latex, ranges from approx 1.2 to 3 lbs/cu ft. At the other extreme is latex, at 5.6 lbs/cu ft. (I suspect in practice it is a bit lower depending how many, and how large, cylindrical holes are molded into it.) Memory foam is in between at typically 3.2-4.0 lbs/cu ft.

It seems natural latex will outlast any of the synthetic foams we are likely to buy, thus at least in part justifying its higher cost.

Greg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: