Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 10:25   #16

Boat: Shopping
Re: Latex vs Foam mattresses ?

We just bought a "Purple" mattress. It has two layers of different density foams topped by a layer of some new-fangled polymer, not memory foam, that is waffle-like to promote cooling (and purple in color). We like it. Heavy.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:08   #17

Boat: Coast 30

I have slept on Latex mattresses in houses all my life. Good quality latex is nothing like foam as it does not break down much with time: As in over 40 years. It requires air ventilation to be provided beneath it. the preferred method being narrow cedar slats 1.5 X.75 inches with a 1/2" air gap between them, and covered with a wool blanked to stop chaffing. This could be slightly difficult to provide on a boat.?

Through inquires I have made for replacement to fit into the Vee-berth I have been told that quality latex as made in past decades is almost impossible to come by. It is by most standards considered expensive. As for the weight a queen sized mattress is heavier than one person can pick up an carry @ approximately 120 Lbs.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:03   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
As for the weight a queen sized mattress is heavier than one person can pick up an carry @ approximately 120 Lbs.
I suppose that is for 10"-12" thicknesses, and fewer or smaller vertical vent holes, or none at all. My 5" latex mattress might weigh in at 40lbs or so, but has more holes than I would like. It is very unwieldy for moving in and out of the boat, but that is seldom necessary. The latex I have seen at the Seattle Boat Show has fewer and smaller holes than the Dunlop I bought in Turkey. Clearly there are differences between suppliers.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:43   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
That's my understanding. At least as far as natural latex goes lol.
I believe it can be had in different durometers (sp ?) But the mattress shop won't have clue. If someone knows how to fined a supplier of 4" real latex foam, it would be worth knowing..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 14:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjymd View Post
Anyone have experience with latex mattresses? I have been looking to replace the mattresses on my boat and Latex is way more expensive. Is it worth the price? Thanks , I am a newbie and really appreciate the information offered on these forums. Best wishes Burt
Do not do latex unless you keep others away from your bed, always. Someone with latex allergies could go into shock, even die if they laid down in a latex mattress. Also stay away from peanut butter mattresses. Guy made a beanbag out of peanuts. End result was a kid in ER due to her peanut allergies being triggered from sitting in the bean bag.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 14:33   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

reed1v:

With regard to this statement: [QUOTE]Guy made a beanbag out of peanuts. End result was a kid in ER due to her peanut allergies being triggered from sitting in the bean bag.
/QUOTE], I wonder if you could site me a source for this, please? I do question it, because I think that if styrofoam "peanuts", would not trigger allergic reaction, of course, and if real peanut shells, could certainly, but it just seems unlikely.

Fwiw, I think the whole post was a bit alarmist. I would buy a latex mattress for my boat in a flash. Good quality foam latex lasts a very long time. Latex allergy builds up over time, it seems highly unlikely that some child would lie atop the covers and suffer an allergic reaction, and adults could be warned when you find out they have an allergy. Really, it's the job of the person with the allergy to avoid the substance that triggers the reaction.

Ann
Old 11-07-2016, 15:40   #22

We have lived aboard for almost 3 years on a "real " latex mattress . It's been comfortable but I would read the lable on the cover before you buy . Most are covered with thick polyester covers which is way too hot here in Cairns .
Quintessa41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 15:43   #23

Boat: Beneteau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I believe that there are two types of latex, natural and man made. The natural latex is reputed to be cooler to sleep on than the artificial.
There are two types of latex but they are both natural. The difference is in how the latex rubber is processed into foam. The traditional process is called Dunlop. It tends to be slightly firmer on its bottom side due to the process. The other process is called Talalay. It has a more consistent cell structure. Both types come in a various degrees of firmness. Latex actually tends to sleep a little cooler than memory foam. I've been sleeping on one for several years and wouldn't trade it for anything. For a good independent view; www.sleeplikethedead.com
Nightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 16:43   #24

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

gave up on soft/made mattresses out of clip lock tent flooring 4 layers roped to slats /part of flotation if the one pot wonder cuisine ends up in the bunk due to miss timed galley to plate maneuver / they are gurney safe / latex sounds good for you soft bottoms
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 16:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
Nearly 6 years on a latex mattress. (At night anyway.) Very comfortable, still pretty much as good as new. Incredibly, inconceivably, almost unnaturally, heavy.

I am intrigued .......... how much more (I realize this will be an estimate, aka a thumb suck) but how much more will it weigh over foam mattress - as a multiple- for a queen size mattress? That is, say three times the weight?

Are there only two choices to make ....... foam or latex?

I have seen many different qualities of "foam" mattresses on yachts

Thanks
To be honest, I don't know. Our mattress is a full queen size, about a foot thick. I've never weighed it, but lifting one end of it to access the storage underneath is incredibly difficult. It almost feels unnatural, like it's fighting back with greater force than gravity.

It was delivered by two big Maori guys, and they were struggling.

Much heavier than the foam mattress it replaced, I dunno, maybe 5 times as heavy( ?) but it's also about twice as thick.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 17:03   #26

Latex has long been preferable to std foam. Will you like it? hard to say. A latex topper might work for you over your existing foam.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 17:26   #27

[QUOTE=Ann T. Cate;2164183]reed1v:

With regard to this statement:
Quote:
Guy made a beanbag out of peanuts. End result was a kid in ER due to her peanut allergies being triggered from sitting in the bean bag.
/QUOTE], I wonder if you could site me a source for this, please? I do question it, because I think that if styrofoam "peanuts", would not trigger allergic reaction, of course, and if real peanut shells, could certainly, but it just seems unlikely.

Fwiw, I think the whole post was a bit alarmist. I would buy a latex mattress for my boat in a flash. Good quality foam latex lasts a very long time. Latex allergy builds up over time, it seems highly unlikely that some child would lie atop the covers and suffer an allergic reaction, and adults could be warned when you find out they have an allergy. Really, it's the job of the person with the allergy to avoid the substance that triggers the reaction.

Ann
The peanut bag was actually shelled peanuts. One of my first patients when interning at Mass General a billion years ago. Took us quite some time to figure out what was going. Alarmist you say? Well most folks are clueless and lucky when it comes to the health hazards around them.
As far as the latex issue, boats are confined spaces. Latex does chafe and release fine dust to the air. In a big house not much of a problem, especially if the mattress is isolated by pads and sheets. In a confined space where pads are probably not used and sheets themselves may not be used sometimes, then it is a potential hazard to some. Ignorance really is not bliss in this case Ann.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 17:38   #28

Well of course some people are allergic to Latex, but many are not. ditto for many substances....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 18:44   #29

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

[QUOTE=Ann T. Cate;2164183]reed1v:

With regard to this statement:
Quote:
Guy made a beanbag out of peanuts. End result was a kid in ER due to her peanut allergies being triggered from sitting in the bean bag.

Ann
Agreed. I have a tree nut allergy. I don't expect others to accommodate my allergy. Of course, if you invite me to dinner I will tell you I have a nut allergy. If you serve nuts in everthing I probably won't accept an invitation again.
As for minor children, they will also be conscious of anything they need to avoid, with the exception of the very young and their parents will be responsible. Its not harsh, its life and we take it very seriously.
Old 11-07-2016, 19:52   #30

Boat: Coast 30

To Clarify,....I was quoting the weight for a 6" thick Latex mattress. I have used two of them in over sixty years. (But I am about ready for the next one.)They were both covered in other materials so the allergy issue is no doubt being over-blown here as there is no direct contact. Yes they are very awkward to try to roll up and move. Squeezing one of them through a standard sliding sailing yacht hatch could be very challenging. Providing air circulation to the under side is the most obvious difficulty.
I intend to check out the work of Essentia with a follow up visit. Anyone with prior knowledge of their work please contact me.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote