Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2013, 13:16   #31

Boat: Island Trader 37
Re: Laptops aboard and corrosoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mub View Post
I'm biteing..

However I think most laptops die of motion sickness before that.
All that movement is a nightmare for hard drives and connectors and electronics in general.
Around my marina 2 years seems to be about normal.

Mub
In that case, would a MacBook Air (without the hard drive) be a better computer for the boat?

Old 15-07-2013, 23:46   #32
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
When it comes time for new one will get an otter case.
The lifeproof cases are more waterproof. The otter cases are more impact resistant.
Take your pick of your favorite kill method.

mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 06:36   #33

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

As far as external corrosion goes, Tool makers and machinist use a product called cozmolene to encase tools for storage. It could easily be used to make end fitting;s for computer opening.s. You would have to make it on a throwaway part because of the greesy nature of the stuff, but once hardened it can be washed. Slip it over/in the opening and reasonably protected. Thought just came to me sitting here. Needs to be thought out some more, but seems like an interesting departure point.
Old 16-07-2013, 06:47   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We have used off the shelf laptops in our sailboat nad now our current trawler for about 15 years. We have never had one go because of corrosion since we don't use them outside. They usually die of natural causes after about 3 or 4 years. By then a faster computer and operating system is available and it's time to upgrade anyway. When cruising, we use the laptop daily and many times it's running all day. Toshiba has given us the best performance and longevity. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 06:56   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

WE have been living aboard for a around 15 years. We never had any problems with laptops and corrosion. some on the laptops are going on 6 or 7 years old already. I usually take the older ones with me on the oil rigs when I go offshore. They get banged up in the helicopters and on the rigs. All of them are still going strong. I usually end up giving away the older ones. My current HP is 2 years old and my GF's Sam Sung is about 4 years old. No problems with either of them and the older Toshibas are still working fine. The same goes for our digital cams, TVs, etc.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:06   #36

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Just a trick to try if you think your electronic is DBS ( dead by seawater).
Soak in fresh water bucket, place in oven ( off but warmed to 200)or sit it near or over your engine. Do not try to turn on electronic for at least a week or two if you can. then give it a go. Having a dehumidifier would be ideal.
Absolutely agree! Accidentally splashed my Thinkpad T21 with salt water (water got into keyboard and motherboard), and thought "it is gone". I disassembled it, washed it in fresh water with detergent, then in plain fresh water, then hanged on the sun to dry. Next day assembled and to my surprise it was working just fine! It have been half way around the world with me sinse and died of natural causes years later
Old 16-07-2013, 08:25   #37

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

+1 for the Samsung Chromebook; don't liveaboard, but do take it out to the islands with me and on trips for a change of scenery. You get, I believe, 200 gigabytes of online storage via google free for two years when you buy; so you'll have your files/photos backed up as long as you get to a WiFi zone on a periodic basis. It's light and small so less chance of dropping it in my opinion as well. The solid state drive eliminates a lot of the need for cooling that regular hard drives entail (having a fan suck in salt air continuously can't be good), and the shock properties are much better.

Also, another resurrection tip, and one I've used often on my iPhone after I've sunk it. If possible, turn it off immediately, soak it in fresh water, and then stick it in a ziplock bag full of dry rice and seal the bag. The dry rice pulls the moisture out of the device. My iPhones are usually ready to go again in 48 hours.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:46   #38

Classic radio restorers will use deionized water to clean their electronics. It didn't save my shortwave the time I tried it, but FWIW...
Old 16-07-2013, 08:57   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

I find that laptops seem to have a similar life on board as at home, but there is the ever present risk of a catastrophic fall, or salt water spill even on a new machine.

A useful option is a dedicated 12v computer. These can fixed in dry location away from danger.

Combined with a tablet when portability is required it is a good combination.

One big advantage is that failure of the keyboard or mouse which are the most vulnerable components can be easy individually and cheapy replaced.(I use a small wireless keyboard/track pad)
Most external screens are larger and importantly brighter than the equivelent laptop offerings.

This one I am using is sealed no fan to draw in salt air and with SSD.
It runs directly off 12v at under 1A (21 inch screen another 1A)

http://aleutia.com/t1-r
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	64168  
Old 18-07-2013, 23:32   #40

Thanks for the suggusstion noelex, I wasn't aware such a thing was made. I wonder how it doesn't have heat issues if there is no case fan...must have really efficient heat sink and low-watt CPU and hardware.

Thanks everybody for all the other suggestions too.
I used to have a touchscreen Toughbook convertiable...wish I still had it that would have worked awesome for OpenCPN. Oh well.
Old 19-07-2013, 05:43   #41

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Solid State Drives (SSD) don't spin like a regular hard (disk) drive, without the spinning, less heat is created, and so the need for a fan is obviated.
Old 19-07-2013, 05:57   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Most of the heat is from a processor.
So you need a processor with limited heat output. This has the advantage that these are also the processors with low power consumption and the absence of the fans power consumption also helps. This also limits the performance but there is not much on a boat that a suitable processors won't handle.

You also need a large metal heatsink which in these days of plastic everything is expensive.

The SSD helps with both heat and power but the effect is not as great as other design elements such as the passive area available to dissipate the heat and the type of processor used.

The computer I listed is designed to work in temperatures as high as 45C (113F) it can be fitted with a conventional HD if you want and still meet these specs (I would not recommend this. The speed and rugged nature of the SSD is better)
Old 19-07-2013, 07:55   #43

Boat: PETERSON 44
Super expensive itronix military grade laptop the USB port fell apart. Still works but that was a surprise.

Tags
corrosion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: