Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 14:22   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
LA Live aboard

Are there any Marinas that allow live aboard in LA?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 14:53   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
LA Liveaboard

The publicly owned marinas in Long Beach have long waiting list for liveaboards, so it won't be easy. My advice is to just sign up for a slip- and that won't be easy, say nothing about living aboard and just do it stealthily. This is probably better done in a private marina than a public one.

Public seems to play by the rules, particualarly waiting lists. Private make their own up as they go.

BTW, I keep my boat in Long Beach's Alamitos Bay Marina. I put my name on the waiting list of every marina within 25 miles when I bought a new boat several years ago. The public marinas were the only ones who paid any attention to their waitng lists.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 16:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Are there any Marinas that allow live aboard in LA?

Check the Wilmington area up behind San Pedro. They are private marinas there that allow LVBs. Also methodically check the marina listings in "The Log" but bear in mind that the listing provided in the newpaper (which is searchable online) is not exhaustive.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:04   #4

Boat: Looking for a new boat
In short it would seem like to liveaboard in LA would be substantially more difficult to do so in other cities in the country?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26   #5

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
live aboard in LA

Newmark's and Colonial have live many living on boats..and they have slips available. Both are in Wilmington
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:36   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
there are liveaboards in lost angeles in fish harbor---al larson marina, in lighthouse yacht landings, newmarks, yacht haven, leeward bay, colonial, holiday harbor---10 percent is the rule they use--i relocated to san diego fromk there--lived there 5 yrs before i did relocate---the rent rates are from 8/ft and up----i donot know anylonger what the highest rates are---shortest distance to the open ocean is from al larsons marina in fish harbor..goood luck and fair winds....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 15:00   #7

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Wilmington, Ca Marinas

With all due respect to the liveaboards in the Wiliminton marinas, check it out first. It is in a very, very heavy industrial neighborhood with tatoo parlors, refineries, shipping piers, etc.

This is the area that the Hollywood crowd kept their boats in the 40s long before Marina del Rey was built.

But,, once you get to the Wilimington marinas it gets much nicer. But getting there is depressing.

And it does have cheap rates and liveaboards. Some of the liveaboards are institutions or icons.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 15:26   #8

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
larsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there are liveaboards in lost angeles in fish harbor---al larson marina, in lighthouse yacht landings, newmarks, yacht haven, leeward bay, colonial, holiday harbor---10 percent is the rule they use--i relocated to san diego fromk there--lived there 5 yrs before i did relocate---the rent rates are from 8/ft and up----i donot know anylonger what the highest rates are---shortest distance to the open ocean is from al larsons marina in fish harbor..goood luck and fair winds....
Larsons is booked..just tried to put in there..had to go to newmarks...your right.....best sail out to Avalon is from Larsons....fall off your side tie...180 to the Island...you sound like a salty lady!! ever get back this way?
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 16:45   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
With all due respect to the liveaboards in the Wiliminton marinas, check it out first. It is in a very, very heavy industrial neighborhood with tatoo parlors, refineries, shipping piers, etc.

This is the area that the Hollywood crowd kept their boats in the 40s long before Marina del Rey was built.

But,, once you get to the Wilimington marinas it gets much nicer. But getting there is depressing.

And it does have cheap rates and liveaboards. Some of the liveaboards are institutions or icons.

David
having been so fortunate as to have been able to live aboard in each of the lost angeles area marinas, i found long beach unsafe for anyone....too many methamphetamine users........mdr----toooo many yuppies without knowledge of proper boating knowledge.......redondo beach---if ya likes spending more money on your electricity and ancillary items, this is THE place to be----when i was there i had jus tmoved onto boat from an apartment----my electricity in that apartment was only 17$/mo-----was over 100/mo in king harbor. not my cuppa tea.......gouging is not cool. i will not support it......didnt like the fake people, either.....same with mdr......i went back to lost angeles harbor----place is actually pretty at dawn and dusk ..was better than the others---larsons was the best marina i had used in the area.....fish harbor is cooool.....was more so in the 1990s......must remember---the port of lost angeles is a WORKING port-----rule 9----they have right of way over EVERYTHING......is their home....same with dago------rule 9......i liked lost angeles harbor better than dago---is much more respect for boating in lost angeles harbor than in dago bay.....and a lot more history. there also movies being made in the area on occasion and can be fun..
is just my humble opinion----you know everyone has one---but was also observation.....fair winds......

ps--didnt know about the tattoo parlors---they must be new---i left there 1995 august---been back once---before the tat parlors----my second ex hubby was a stalker so i had some mixed memories of lost angeles harbor---but i still love it there.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote