Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 13:20   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Kitchenware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
When eating off cheap plastic plates and bowls, I feel like I'm camping or on a picnic. Better quality kitchenware givies me the feeling of being home and permanence. I like Correll pie plates for the higher sides. Keeps things from slipping off.
You need to make this your home, but boat friendly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

use better quality-- there is a kind her e with pretend silver on it--ha ha ha but we donot have the good sturdy plates. i now have those things ye put under the
paper plates to class em up and make em sturdier
is called corelle. line em with paper for an easier clean up
yup am single and adopted single male habits for dishwashing h ah ah aha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 13:20   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dbtindale,

Just take what you need from your home. Everywhere you go, they will have flatware and cookware. I've bought a couple of cookie sheets in a couple of different places in French Polynesia, they're mementos that are useful. Bring your best knives, carving knife (If you eat roasts), bread knife (bread keeps longer if you slice it as you need it), fish filleting knife, paring knife, and actually, a cockpit knife and a boatswains knife. That's probably all you need. We found our cockpit knife in an anchorage, it was a chicago cutlery steak knife someone had lost overboard some time.

We had a friend that bought all her dishes at thrift shops, and changed China plates whenever she felt like it. It doesn't matter that they don't match, just buy things you like.

I've been all over the place with wine glasses, used to buy cheap stemware and replace it as people broke it. Did that for about 15 years, and now I've changed, and usually serve it in small tumblers, it really cuts down on breakage.

Ann

At any rate, YMMV, but that should get you started.
Old 13-10-2016, 14:45   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Oneida is the flatware I bought almost 40 years ago and still is fine, it won't rust either.
Julliard is the pattern she liked
http://www.oneida.com/flatware/fine-...FYY7gQodi6EHAQ

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 14:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Oneida is the flatware I bought almost 40 years ago and still is fine, it won't rust either.
Julliard is the pattern she liked
http://www.oneida.com/flatware/fine-...FYY7gQodi6EHAQ

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Oneida is a better grade SS. I have that at the house, different pattern though.
Dbtindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 15:11   #20

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Dbtindale

I purchased good quality Scan Pans as I did not want to bring my pure copper pans onboard. (I would always be polishing). I use a wok and different sized skillets that all fit into polar tech sleeves and stack. I have a great pressure cooker.

The Correlle ware works wonderfully and living onboard for 20 years I have not broken one piece.

We are not camping so we have glasses for all occasions - stemmed as in wine and champagne, tumbler style for cockpit use and even crystal for port and scotch. Yes we have had a few breakages but a good quality beverage should not be drunk from plastic. (I do have plastic tumblers when entertaining local Pacific Islanders and children). I made polar fleece socks for my glasses and they store in a drawer - the crystal fits in a drawer which my captain added a false shelf with specific cutouts for each glass - takes up more room but protects the crystal.

Purchase the best quality flat ware and it will not rust.

Sharp knives are a must and I have a set of Global knives and I use the recommended ceramic sharpener to hone them.

Enjoy your galley - you spend a lot of time there when cruising and entertaining, sharing and enjoying good company is integral with our cruising lives.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 17:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
Dbtindale

I purchased good quality Scan Pans as I did not want to bring my pure copper pans onboard. (I would always be polishing). I use a wok and different sized skillets that all fit into polar tech sleeves and stack. I have a great pressure cooker.

The Correlle ware works wonderfully and living onboard for 20 years I have not broken one piece.

We are not camping so we have glasses for all occasions - stemmed as in wine and champagne, tumbler style for cockpit use and even crystal for port and scotch. Yes we have had a few breakages but a good quality beverage should not be drunk from plastic. (I do have plastic tumblers when entertaining local Pacific Islanders and children). I made polar fleece socks for my glasses and they store in a drawer - the crystal fits in a drawer which my captain added a false shelf with specific cutouts for each glass - takes up more room but protects the crystal.

Purchase the best quality flat ware and it will not rust.

Sharp knives are a must and I have a set of Global knives and I use the recommended ceramic sharpener to hone them.

Enjoy your galley - you spend a lot of time there when cruising and entertaining, sharing and cz. CSX ml.… enjoying good company is integral with our cruising lives.

Cheers Sue
Thanks for the wonderful advice.
I've been considering Corelle. And I have Oneida stainless at the house. I have a small slow cooker and pressure cooker also. I think I'll look into the ceramic knives and sharpener. I am considering a wok.
Old 14-10-2016, 05:52   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
You want to look for 18/10 stainless flatware.
There is no difference between 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel in flatware. The difference between the two is purely a marketing effort.

They are both made from stainless steel Grade 304, which has a range of 18-20% chromium, and 8-10% nickel content. Grade 304 in flatware is usually at the lower end of that range. To keep the cost down, steel manufacturers will make grade 304 with 8.2% nickel, which clears the legal hurdle of calling it 18/10.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 06:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
There is no difference between 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel in flatware. The difference between the two is purely a marketing effort.

They are both made from stainless steel Grade 304, which has a range of 18-20% chromium, and 8-10% nickel content. Grade 304 in flatware is usually at the lower end of that range. To keep the cost down, steel manufacturers will make grade 304 with 8.2% nickel, which clears the legal hurdle of calling it 18/10.
That's interesting information. I didn't realize the SS grades were so close in composition. Thanks for the info.
Old 14-10-2016, 06:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbtindale View Post
Thanks for the wonderful advice.
I've been considering Corelle. And I have Oneida stainless at the house. I have a small slow cooker and pressure cooker also. I think I'll look into the ceramic knives and sharpener. I am considering a wok.
What are polar tech sleeves?
Old 14-10-2016, 13:29   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Polar Tek (sp?) is a synthetic fabric which sheds moisture. I bought some to make a blanket out of, once. Sapient Sue would have sewn them up to fit, I would not think they are commercially available, but you never know, Sue may come along back and answer you, or you could send her a PM.

Ann
Old 14-10-2016, 13:43   #26

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Nesting stainless steel pots, stainless cutlery, global stainless knives, enamel plates/bowls/cups............ all are bomb proof, only a fillet knife ever leaves the galley so the others never get lost or abused.......... and for gods sake learn to use a sharpening stone AND USE IT REGULARLY......... Dull knive cut off fingers and chop up your hands at sea not sharp ones
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 13:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbtindale View Post
Thanks for the info Pete. Maybe now my boyfriend will believe me when I suggest/recommend we invest in better quality on some items. I just don't want to waste money on things that won't last. I especially appreciate info from the more experienced liveaboard cruisers. Any suggestions on kitchen items would be helpful.
Macy's Cellar is a good start for kitchen stuff.

After measuring and re-measuring the inside of the oven in relation to the placement of the racks...we found a steamtable pan that fits nearly perfect and can hold roasts and casseroles. Being a steamtable pan it is available with flush covers and assorted liners and various metal thicknesses. The pans for the oven took quite a while to find. Many fit the oven but not with the pan cover. The stones are another important consideration for the oven and acheiving consistent temperatures. Have fun !
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 13:54   #28

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

All my baking and roasting pans are flexible silicon and yes do use a pizza stone in you oven to spread the heat
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 14:04   #29

I bought an excess of cheap white melamine plates and bowls a few years back expecting them to break, none have. A couple have gone over the side when we used a bucket for washing-up that the plates fitted into perfectly, a square or triangular bucket avoids that happening .

I haven't had much luck with melamine mugs, they always seem to explode at some point when your pour in boiling water to make instant coffee or tea.

I don't agree with dog bowls. I've been in plenty bouncy stuff and just don't see the need; my real issue with them is that they are difficult to hold (yes it's much easier to hold your bowl when it's bouncy). A moderate sized bowl that you can cup in your hand is better.

Somebody gave us a Le Cruset cast iron pot that we tool along anyway although thinking it would be too heavy. Turns out we use it a lot, great for stove-top baking. Great for slow cooking when it's cold enough to have the heater on it just sits on top with a stew or whatever.

We have a smaller anodized aluminium pressure cooker that is just fantastic, basically non-stick, which is used every day whether pressure cooking or not. We have a bigger All American pressure canner and Kilner canning jars.

We never carry any stemware it's just too delicate. Wine, beer, whatever is all served in tumblers. Got some Polynesian ones that have been on the boat for well over 10 years that have all bounced several times - if I see any of those again I'll buy another half dozen.

I don't have them on my boat but have used the melamine ware from West Marine (the stuff with a rubber ring around the bottom to stop is sliding around) on the charter yachts that I have worked on and it is great.

Standard supermarket stainless steel knives and forks and an eclectic collection of knives, filleting, carving etc.. Opinel's chefs knives are great. Warthog knife sharpener to keep the edges keen.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 14:19   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I buy most stuff from hospitality wholesale shops that sell to the public. That stuff is tough, and usually much cheaper than department store stuff.

I like nice cutlery so thats department store stuff. It doesnt last forever.

Pans... I have listened to advice and bought heavy based frying pans but they are a waste of money imho, and use far more propane to heat.

I have gone back to thin based commercial kitchen grade stuff. Far cheaper and better.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote