Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-11-2010, 20:13   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you would have to keep all your ports open during use. would be a good idea to get a co alarm thingie...portable is good.
I want to use it under the V-berth hatch...it has a fan!
Il sleep in the cabin and the companion way will never be closed when the unit is operating... a small fan in front of the unit will blow radient heat across the cabine...this is a 10,000btu maximum unit it will most likely not be used at full capacity.

how funny this thred has reminded me of my oncle up north...use to go fishing cod with him and his brothers when I was a little fellow...wed go off shore near sept-iles all day and finish off in a small camp cooking fish and patatos on a single kerosene burner, every one smiling with jokes and all fed a slept well in this tiny cabing burning a few logs in a fortune made heater...6 years ago I met my oncle in Quebec he was traveling in this obceanly large wanebago...the kind with all the bells and wisels...when I talked about the simple life of the old days...I cauld see in his eyes how miserable hes became...I cauld tell hed exchange all this for one day with friends in the old cabin again.
Now I ant saying the bulkhead heaters are no good...I will try the cheeper option and if by miracle it does the job? I will invite as many strangers for a cold beer and hot meal as I can...and if they complain about my cheep heater ill give them an other beer

Old 25-11-2010, 20:20   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Choice of fuel is strictly a matter of convenience. If you have a diesel powered vessel then diesel will work; no propulsion fuel, then whatever is the common fuel which sounds like kerosene in your case.
- - The really big factor is safety. If the heater is certified for use in a closed home/room, fine. If it is a economical (cheap) workshop heater then not fine. You just have to ensure that the combustion fumes do not enter the cabin and instead are vented outside. Even with "ventilation" you will get a build up of Carbon Monoxide and just as bad as that is you will also get the fumes of the unburnt fuel and additives in the fuel which will do a number on your brain cells and possibly some serious headaches and respiratory problems.
- - So just be sure the unit is certified for use in an enclosed environment (house, room) and it is vented outside so no combustion or fuel fumes can get into the cabin of the boat. It is not difficult, just takes common sense and adherence to logic and a desire to stay alive.

Old 25-11-2010, 20:26   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Works well, beware soot, and CO.... nice to have while sailing on a chilly day. Not as great for extended time below.
Old 25-11-2010, 20:40   #34
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Thumbs down

Hey Jobi. Great approach! Really! And if you end up dying, you can always come back and tell us you were wrong and try a different methodology.
Old 25-11-2010, 21:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Hey Jobi. Great approach! Really! And if you end up dying, you can always come back and tell us you were wrong and try a different methodology.
Why is everything so drastic with you...I mean this is not the first time you post in suc a negative on my threads...dont get me wrong I enjoy reading you and I do value your opinion, your experience...in fact if I post its to hear everyones opinions...but pleas try to understand me...first I am not english and this sometimes plays tricks...I may sound arogant to some and other will not understand me...Thats ok because most of times I cant even express what I realy mean to say...how convinient that many offer inputs that often answers my questions...you remind me of a friend that would argue his point until he rolls off the table (beer) to wake up and keep arguing...I have such a friend and like him dearly.

rest asured this chap wont die from intoxication, I aint cheep enough not to buy a co detector..oh will add this to my christmas list.
Old 25-11-2010, 21:18   #36
cruiser

I just don't understand some folks who, given the well founded and extremely large experience of peoples advice here, and given the considerable industry standards for safety in marine situations, think they know better and can do it cheaply and laxydaisy. If my arrogance hit you? Good. It was supposed to at least give you some cold water on the face to think about. I do not wish to see you in a foul state. I don't even know you and I do not want you to be dead. Your little CO alarm is not a best practice. A best practice is to have two systems - one: a well ventilated flu for the furnace which I believe is a critical baseline; two: an alarm, in case for some reason the flue gets flunked.

You complain about heat lost and a flue, but yet alas you keep the door open? And you think a fan is enough? You could still die.

Do it right.

But, no worries. I won't be posting anymore replies. This is one of those threads that ends up being a waste of my energy and time. I've said my piece.

Good luck.
Old 25-11-2010, 21:26   #37
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Okay, time for a bit of sanity. If you have open flame on your boat--be it propane, kerosene, alcohol, diesel, paraffin, solid fuel, beeswax, WHATEVER, regardless of whether you have a vented chimney or a hatch with a fan, YOU SHOULD HAVE A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR. Or two or three. My boat came standard with four: one in the saloon, and one in each sleeping cabin.

ahem.

was I screaming there? Must be the fumes.
Old 26-11-2010, 00:56   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Im a huge fan of kerosene heater and stove. I also had a Taylors stove and heater on my old boats along with a pressurized tank. Diesel is too dirty. Solid fuel heaters are extremely messy. For any, you absolutely should have chimneys - with exception to small stoves like my Taylors.

It's extremely frustrating because finding Taylors is difficult - used ones. And I want one

BTUs I believe are much higher for Kerosene.
see I do hear what your saying...and it sinks inn alright...just give me time to get educated about it befor you kill me

I read about this unit and compared it to the other dickinson mentioned in this thread...the taylors has a 1in chimney and burns 5 to 6 times less feul...its much simpler instalation and in operation...also its more compact...however its more expensive...but iv find one in the classifyds for $500 and will call tomorow...its the same brass unit as this photo...now that id love in my boat...in fact if this $500 unit is sold alredy...id be willing to invest the $1200 to import a new...sure dont look like wasted money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	079kb.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	21476  
Old 26-11-2010, 01:30   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh--i like that....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 07:03   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A basic primer on Kero'
KEROSENE FUEL PRIMER

“International Fuel Names”
This document contains translations for the names of fuels commonly used in backpacking stoves and lanterns, and information about the availability of fuels in various countries.

Goto: International Fuel Names
http : // fuel.papo-art.com/

And: International Fuel Names
http :// fuel.papo-art.com/#tableoffuelnames

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 07:56   #41
cruiser

I am back. This is the exact model I had in my boats and takes up less room. The Taylors are prohibitly expensive these days new - unfortunately. If you can pick one up, grab it. To make an affordable flue (if not included), use your imagination and design one. You will also need a deck cap for the exhaust, as well as a bulkhead plate for heat dissipation. Its a perfect size for a small boat. $1200 is ridiculous though.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:14   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Don't know if this one is still available - but you could inquire - Kerosene Cabin Heater
Old 26-11-2010, 11:00   #43

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Un vented is a bad move.
Paint thinner is an excellent substitute for any kerosene device, including primus burners, alladin lamp, and hurricane lamps.
Old 26-11-2010, 11:09   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“... Low Odor (or "Odorless") Mineral Spirits can be used as a paint thinner for oil based paints and thus the container is often marked "Paint Thinner, Low Odor Mineral Spirits." There are 39 varieties of paint thinners but only one Low Odor Mineral Spirits. Some paint thinners are quite volatile: please do not get "creative" and assume that anything which will burn is a suitable fuel for any lamp under any condition ...”

KEROSENE FUEL PRIMER

http :// www . milesstair.com/kero_fuel_primer.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 11:13   #45
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
see I do hear what your saying...and it sinks inn alright...just give me time to get educated about it befor you kill me

I read about this unit and compared it to the other dickinson mentioned in this thread...the taylors has a 1in chimney and burns 5 to 6 times less feul...its much simpler instalation and in operation...also its more compact...however its more expensive...but iv find one in the classifyds for $500 and will call tomorow...its the same brass unit as this photo...now that id love in my boat...in fact if this $500 unit is sold alredy...id be willing to invest the $1200 to import a new...sure dont look like wasted money.
Thats mah Baby..... she'll keep ya well toasty m8

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: