Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2010, 15:49   #16

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Tao: LOL

Put the signs on snaphooks or bungees and chuck 'em below when your going out. But remember, if it gets nasty and you are not properly posted, a lawyer is going have it easy "ripping you a new one" claiming his client "didn't know it was posted". I've already seen this happen on land due to improper property posting. Guys were shooting our cows with a .38 and taking a hindquarters for BBQs.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 15:59   #17

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Idiots don't read signs. You are in Texas - just shoot them.
Other option - untie the boat and move to another marina.

I like option 1...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 16:02   #18

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
"If so, install a line with clip, similar to your lifeline safety gate across the entrance to the finger pier, with a no trespassing sign hanging on the line. You'll need to OK this with the other boat sharing the finger pier. That should keep them off the finger pier which gains them access to the boat."

That's what my neighbor and I do, plus I have a no tresspass sign on the chain across the safety line at the gangway and a placard with my name to show a residence. Seems to work well enough and haven't had any lost souls wandering aboard.
Old 13-05-2010, 17:18   #19
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
yep, these folks sound mostly like nuisances. put up a minimal barrier like a line from the dock box to a stanchion that blocks the finger dock and I doubt they will climb over em to investigate. If you dock like we do, more to one side than the other, you prolly only need the gate/line on the side that actually offers access to the boat.

Himself and I love ta 'dock walk' but would NEVER step aboard with out an invite.

I confess when we have knocked to make sure no one was home I have peeked into boats I really wanted to see the interior layout on...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 18:23   #20

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
This thread amazes me.

I basically see violence as a failure of intelligence but if I found someone on our boat I would use whatever violence was needed to get them off as soon as it was clear that it was not a mistake.

-Sven
Old 13-05-2010, 18:28   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You obviously need some strongly worded signage on your boat. The signage needs to look like a mentally unstable gun nut lives there. Who cares what any of your now distanced progressive friends think.

I put an NRA sticker in the window of my house. Its no guarantee, but I would imagine it makes literate people think twice.

Violence is not an option unless one wants to go from living in a boat to living in a jail cell. (Is there much difference?) I guess there is. In jail you get free meals and your laundry done at no expense.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 18:56   #22

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/keeping-dock-walkers-off-the-boat-40766.html

This is in reply to thread from sarafina...would you walk up to someone's house and look in their windows??? I cannot believe you would do that much less admit it...sorry if this is too bold, but my response to that would be "WTF?" and you live on a boat? amazing
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 19:02   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would imagine that if Sara had known it was someones residence the story would be different....but I will let Sara answer that.

Do you ever glance in a really expensive rare car parked next to you? I do.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 19:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If it is that expensive there probably isn't anyone living in it

-Sven
Old 13-05-2010, 19:18   #25

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
If it is that expensive there probably isn't anyone living in it

-Sven
Don't be too sure on that one Sven - I know one couple who plan to live on their 67' Hatteras power boat. By far the most expensive boat in the marina.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 19:27   #26

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would imagine that if Sara had known it was someones residence the story would be different....but I will let Sara answer that.

People don't usually live in cars, especially rare, expensive cars.

To me, this sounds like a cultural gap. These morons aren't wrapping their brains around the concept of "liveaboard". They just think that someone owns the boat and parks it there, so they poke around and peek inside. This doesn't excuse their behavior, but it may provide some insight on how to deal with it.

I agree with everyone who recommended posting signage. Especially if the signage is posted in such a way that the peeper has to touch it or move it out of his way in order to board the boat.

Also, for the OP- In another thread, someone posted a photo of a security grate that you can install over your companionway. It won't do much for your privacy, but it'll damn sure keep someone out of the cabin.

It's amazing how entitled some people think they are. I own a DeLorean and God forbid that I should leave it unattended for a moment at a gas station or a restaurant. People just open the door and plop right down in the driver's seat or are absolutely, positively compelled to put their fuggin' fingerprints all over the stainless steel body.

I don't live in my car, so I know that's not a fair comparison, but I do sympathize.
Old 13-05-2010, 19:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
Don't be too sure on that one Sven - I know one couple who plan to live on their 67' Hatteras power boat. By far the most expensive boat in the marina.
I know cars can be boats, but the opposite ? A boat that is a really expensive rare car ?

-Sven
Old 13-05-2010, 19:38   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How about this: Cool Amphibious Manufacturers Ie

TaoJones
Old 13-05-2010, 19:47   #29
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
This is in reply to thread from sarafina...would you walk up to someone's house and look in their windows??? I cannot believe you would do that much less admit it...sorry if this is too bold, but my response to that would be "WTF?" and you live on a boat? amazing
what? never walked down the street and looked at the houses, looked in windows and noticed art on the walls or the corner of book shelves, the colour of the curtains? Or down the street and admired a car and looked in at that cherry mustang convertible to drool over the tuck and roll?

Most of the boats in the marina sit there from year to year with no one ever even checking on them except for the harbour master or the neighbours. Last week we noticed the neighbouring boat on one side had busted its dock lines and hauled out our old ones to tie her up again. A few weeks ago we noticed (while dock walking and admiring and comparing) a boat that seemed a bit low... looked in side and sure enough, water over the sole. told the office about that one so they could contact the owners. Vintage chris craft? love to peek in and see how they are similar or different from the boats on my childhood. Mostly I am saddened to see how abandoned they are. Do we stroll up to the liveaboards and peer in? no. doh. but all the lonely ladies sitting in their slips? Sure.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 19:53   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Do we stroll up to the liveaboards and peer in? no. doh. but all the lonely ladies sitting in their slips? Sure.
I read that wrong.

-Sven