Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2010, 18:48   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Well, there's bright and then there's bright. I lived for three years with someone who had suffered a lot in their life, couldn't walk or talk and was the sort generally ignored by people but I thought of him as a friend. CEO's should be of above average intelligence but when they are sociopath's as well it doesn't seem to matter. There are criminals said to have very high iq's but it doesn't seem a bright career choice to me. Now they talk about Emotional Quotient but to me it just shows you can't quantify a human being that way and get much that is meaningful. A brilliant scientist can make a stupid mistake and a savant might not be able to tie there shoes but still tell you the square root of some number so big we don't care about it. So it goes.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 18:52   #122

I would postulate that 3/4 of all people are desperately below average.. Just walk around and you can see real world test results. I don't need to read a paper to prove the obvious...

Since we are talking abut idiots that can't read or have common sense, I would put a spotlight on those signs with a red flashing one in the middle of your transom companionway...That should make them ponder for a moment about their actions...LOL
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 18:55   #123

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Now that we've successfully hijacked the thread, I think we all agree that people who board boats without permission are in the lower intelligence catagory. I haven't had any problems, but my son gave me a 2 foot cutlass as a boat waming gift, which I keep handy. If I need to encourage someone to depart it should have the desired effect.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 19:08   #124

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Only those below median intelligence allowed on board.

-Sven (who wants a bumper sticker that says "honk if you are stupid")
Old 18-05-2010, 19:29   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Since we are talking abut idiots that can't read or have common sense, I would put a spotlight on those signs with a red flashing one in the middle of your transom companionway...That should make them ponder for a moment about their actions...LOL
It would also make the neighborhood a lot more intersting!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 21:22   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
If a boat trespass is by people of below average intelligence, what is the IQ of those that cause thread drift? Isn't that like Internet forum trespass?
Inquiring minds want to know....
BTW- if we are ever serious about the percentage of people with average intelligence- including those above and below...the answer lies in standard deviations from the norm and can be found in psychology texts. I have never been a big fan of IQ and Mensa.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 21:27   #127
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
I would postulate that 3/4 of all people are desperately below average...
Ok. THAT cracks me up!

; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 22:28   #128

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
what is the IQ of those that cause thread drift? Isn't that like Internet forum trespass?
Inquiring minds want to know....
Even though I may ask permission to come aboard, I'm not excused from my own little world? And if half the populations is... duh.... does everybody in my half have our own little worlds?

Wow. It's all becoming so clear to me now. The drooling, the getting lost, the getting married...

I could have been stepping aboard boats I don't own all this time.
Old 18-05-2010, 22:49   #129

Boat: Islander 36
Now that we've established that half the world is of marginal intelligence, it really is a few bad apples that make the problems. Trouble is, it only takes one to ruin your day.

By the way, Getting married (this time-10 years ago) was the best thing for me. She cleans up my drool like nobody can.
Old 18-05-2010, 23:57   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Now that we've successfully hijacked the thread, I think we all agree that people who board boats without permission are in the lower intelligence catagory.
I helped and as a moderator I am supposed to be on-guard for that sort of thing. Maybe a moderator should come and slap my wrist.

Apologies to the OP

Quote:
I would postulate that 3/4 of all people are desperately below average.. Just walk around and you can see real world test results. I don't need to read a paper to prove the obvious...
That seems to be an impossibility. We need to talk sub-populations

I think we would all agree that the intelligence of at least 75% of the population is below the average intelligence of the sailor sub-population.

Hence their propensity for doing stupid things like boarding boats that don't belong to them.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 02:01   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Inflatable Pit Bull...

Maybe one of these
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 02:47   #132
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
but remember half of all people are below average intelligence.
But which half?

(just curious as to whether I need to move my thinking hat )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 03:01   #133

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But which half?

(just curious as to whether I need to move my thinking hat )
The other half of course!

/Hampus
Old 19-05-2010, 08:41   #134

Boat: 41' Tartan TOCK
'No Trespassing' signage is a must. I like the 'Baby On Board', too. I don't know if they are a deterrent or not, but you have communicated.

We have a large-medium sized dog that barks when someone approaches. She stays in the cockpit and has free range of the decks. She is a big deterrent for up-to-no-gooders. A dog doesn't have to be vicious or prone to eating small children to be a good watchdog. I worry sometimes that in a marina she might irritate other kind marina folks with her barking. No one ever seems to mind and we get a lot of "she's just doing her job".

About taking a photo of the intruder... we took a photo once of 2 young guys stealing another cruiser's dinghy in La Paz and it backfired. Guess what? They came back to our boat!! They didn't like the fact we took the photo... proof that would put them jail... at least here in Mexico. Nearby cruisers came to the rescue. Yikes!

Last but not least, you have a deterrent that many of us do not...
DIRTY DIAPERS!
Lob one of those bad boys in the face of a uninvited and I'll bet they leave... fast!... never to return!
hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 11:27   #135

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I have had that problem - strangers wandering on board in a marina - all over the world. I suppose the strangers thinks any boats in a marina are part of a "boat show." There is no practical, legal method beyond hanging signs on the lifelines. Many marinas are now putting gates on the finger piers to keep the main dock wanderers from gaining access via the finger piers.
- - Looking into the boat's windows/ports is very common just as folks look in house windows as they walk down the streets. Curtains, I think, were invented to thwart such behavior.
- - Sometimes the fake signs stating the vessel is protected by "such and such" security service help, sometimes they are ignored especially on smaller boats. Just be sure to use signs with very large print and words of less than five letters or so otherwise the sight-seers will not be able to read and understand the sign.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote