Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2010, 06:50   #46

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Anywhere you go you'll find inconsiderate morons. Just post your signage and rope your finger pier. You probably will never have another incident. If you do, they're up to no good you may commence upon their person in whatever fashion you choose. Yes, this is Texas! (<humming>...she had a pair of 44's and real gun.......)
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:09   #47

Well, one more reason I should stay out of Texas! Or does this happen everywhere?
I would definitely be threatened by someone coming onto my boat without permission - especially when I'm home alone with a nursing baby! And people sitting in cars without invitation, and shooting cows? What gives?!
I was amazed the first time my husband took me to a boat show, and they had all these nice boats, and we didn't have to ask or anything - just take off your shoes, and go ahead - no one minds you poking into all the nooks and corners and everything! (But getting into the closets still makes me a little uncomfortable.)
I was raised that it's RUDE (and that's about the worst thing possible!) to pay too much uninvited attention to any part of someone's car, home, property - you don't stare, point, or do anything noticeable. It's OK to look subtly but if anyone notices or even might notice, you've gone too far. Even if that's not the standard everywhere, the prospect of strangers just wandering aboard is a serious detriment to the living aboard option, for me. One more thing to consider...
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:13   #48

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you (anyone here) feel about someone taking pictures of your boat from the dock without coming aboard?

maybe I should ask in a new thread.....sorry for hijacking
I don't think a photo rises to the level of intrusion and don't think I'd be offended by someone simply snapping a picture of just my boat. With my wife sunbathing on deck would be another story.....

We have three video web cameras at our marina and at any time anyone can go to our marina's website and watch (and hear) what is going on in real time. This is a nice feature and adds a little security, but not without a cost to our privacy.

In a way it feels a tad too Orwellian and just a little "creepy" knowing you are always under surveillance.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:16   #49

This is my dog. Her name is Justice. She doesn't appreciate people touching my things.

Not everyone can deal with a dog. But it is a thought. I've never seen anyone argue with Justice, ever....
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:24   #50

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
This is my puppy...

"This is my Puppy." He'll grow up big and strong and be oour watchdog one day. You should see our watchdog... Come aboard uninvited and get a first hand look!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	little girl and big dog.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	16113  
Old 14-05-2010, 07:25   #51

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Mariness:
Yep our cows. This was the last 16 acres of the original 200 now surrounded by Houston. On the long side of the back fence, across a creek, was a Section 8 apartment complex. Need I say more? But that's ok. They wanted to build more section 8 housing so we let 'em have it (the property)..
For $1.9 mil

Re: Rude?
Kids aren't raised properly anymore
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:37   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you (anyone here) feel about someone taking pictures of your boat from the dock without coming aboard?

For what purpose?

If you are gathering info for personal reasons ONLY, no harm no foul. But then you can find just about every boat on yachtworld so I don't know why you'd need a pic of my boat. I could see that you'd want to duplicate a particular rigging I have and taking a picture of that item for your use would be reasonable. So it all depends on what the justification is...
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
For what purpose?

If you are gathering info for personal reasons ONLY, no harm no foul. But then you can find just about every boat on yachtworld so I don't know why you'd need a pic of my boat. I could see that you'd want to duplicate a particular rigging I have and taking a picture of that item for your use would be reasonable. So it all depends on what the justification is...

I disagree. Photos should be with permission only.

I can envision this scenario. My gf is living on the boat. She comes home one day and her neighbor tells her, "Hey Dani, some dude was on the pier today snapping a bunch of photos of your boat." Then she doesn't sleep for 5 nights straight, up in cold sweats because you know.... People snapping photos of your crap is pretty creepy if you're a single gal staying alone on a boat.

Its just a possible scenario. What you do has consequences you may not anticipate! Even if you have everyone's best interest in mind.

If I was going to photograph someone's stuff, I'd ask permission. If no one was around to ask permission, I'd just not do it.
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:51   #54

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Quote:

Having spent a number of years working as a semi-pro photographer, I agree with Rover88. I should also say my comments in this reply are geared specifically towards photography.

If you wanted to press the case of someone photographing your boat, you probably could as most marinas are private property and one generally needs permission of the property owner(s) to photograph on private property. For example, I could legally photograph your home from a public street. However, I could not step onto your property and photograph your home without your permission. I certainly could not enter your home without permission and photograph.

Contrast this with photographing a baseball game at a major league ball park. It's private property, but it happens all the time and no one gets prosecuted for doing it.

It can come down to a person's reasonable expectation of privacy. In my seat at a ball park, I can't reasonably have any expectation of privacy. In a toilet stall in the men's room I can and I do.

I would also argue that my wife, if she was sunbathing on our boat in our marina, could not hold much expectations of privacy. Even having drinks or dinner in the cockpit, expectations of privacy are limited at best.

However, sitting below, in the cabin...that's another matter entirely. Still, it must be pointed out that boats are not individuals, but property, and as such, can't hold any expectations of privacy. It would be the same as your car expecting privacy. It can't happen. Privacy applies to persons.

The bigger issue raised by the original post is that of his boat being boarded or people peering into windows. On land, on your property, in most places, these activities constitute a criminal act regardless of intent.

That's the difference.
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 08:03   #55

I wouldn't mind photos. As long as they are taking it from somewhere they have a right to be, and it's just a pic of the boat - no tele lenses through the windows!
We've taken shots of boats we liked, especially unique ones, but always from public spaces - we don't go out onto someone's dock to get closer. And they're whole-boat shots, not details or anything personal.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 08:39   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
too many photographers consider their cameras a license to trespass. how is a gawker with a camera any less intrusive than a gawker just looking?

our docks are "protected" by a locked gate, and anyone beyond that gate who is not a boatowner, guest, or marina employee is trespassing. were I to witness a trespasser on the dock photographing boats--and I never have at my marina--I would not hesitate to call the police.
Old 14-05-2010, 09:42   #57

Boat: Piver Victress
Get a dog ?
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:06   #58

There's not a lot you can do. Most land people have no idea what's going on with boats or the people who live on them. So you can't really educate them fast enough in bulk. I've seen a lot of stuff that still pisses me off, but it's just the way it is.

You need to get to a different marina. Our marina is small and primarily sailors; we haven't had anyone even touch our boat within the last year who wasn't a friend knocking.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:08   #59

And in regards to the dog thing, last summer I was walking down the dock and saw three teenagers crawling around in the rigging of a friend's boat. They have a huge german shepard, but the dog (and they) aren't on the boat 24/7, and that's all it takes. If you're in a marina or locale where people will mess with your boat, it's just a matter of time.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:27   #60

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
There's not a lot you can do. Most land people have no idea what's going on with boats or the people who live on them. So you can't really educate them fast enough in bulk. I've seen a lot of stuff that still pisses me off, but it's just the way it is.

You need to get to a different marina. Our marina is small and primarily sailors; we haven't had anyone even touch our boat within the last year who wasn't a friend knocking.
I agree with rebel heart. It's going to happen again. I think in your case the warning sign would help.
I would not shoot anybody just because he or she is a moron. Texas or not Texas it doesn't make any sense to me. If my life is in immediate danger it's another story.
You probably won't find a six inch knife in my cockpit offered to trespasser either