Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 05:33   #166

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
One of the best things about boating is that if you don't like it somewhere you just untie the docklines and go...
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 06:50   #167
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ATF&E = Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives - ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

FBI = Federal Bureau of Investigation - FBI — Federal Bureau of Investigation Homepage

The two bureaus are independent of one another, though both are within the Department of Justice, and neither is the correct answer in this context. The DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) - Drug Enforcement Administration Home might find it interesting if someone had pot plants on their dock, but it would actually be the local police who would have jurisdiction in the case of someone cultivating a couple of marijuana plants, not federal authorities.

Hope that helps.

TaoJones
Old 16-07-2010, 20:18   #168

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Try a yellow sign that reads, "QUARANTINE-Medical personnel Only" should do it.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 13:51   #169

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Tacks
Don1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 14:57   #170

I love the sex on the "cock"pit story!! Really puts a whole new spin on "COCKPIT." LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist!! I also agree with the pull up anchor and leave when it doesn't suit you...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34   #171

If I caught some else on and looking around my boat and especially if they gave me attitude about it ...Well that deserves a swim in the very least but I like the pepper spray idea too A LOT
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by RQF4 View Post
We're at Emerald Point Marina
Commanders Point does not allow live-aboards any longer? Last time I was there there were quite a few. I would check it out if you have not. Living in Emerald Point must be like living in a Frat House.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10   #173

Boat: 1989 Hunter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Living in Emerald Point must be like living in a Frat House.
Yes, yes it is.

Commanders Point does not 'openly' allow LA's, they are there.
RQF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:01   #174

Boat: Island Packet Cat, 35 ft, Knotty Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Most of the other posters have stole my thunder, but buy the smallest pit bull you can find, and then post "Danger dog bites" sign. That seems to keep everyone away. I find Pit Bulls just sit in the cockpit and watch. It has got to be the most intimidating thing I have ever seen. Even planned visitors call before, so you will put your dog away.
Our pit bull traveled aboard with us this summer and he's the sweetest dog on earth. He loves to sit in the cockpit and 'people watch', and he very rarely barks. We were docked one day and as I approached our boat I noticed Wilbur sitting in his favortie place; the captains seat! Later I told Hans that if I hadn't known who this dog was I would not get close to the boat. There's something unerving about seeing a pit bull sitting very calmly yet alert on a boat.

I love pit bulls and they really are loveable goofy creatures (if raised properly) and I hate to add to the furor over their reputation by having people think we have a vicious dog. But I guess if someone had wrong intentions about boarding our boat, and the dogs presence detered them then I won't complain.
Hans and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:16   #175

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
This is becoming an issue. 'Moving' is not really an option right now... although that would be my first choice.
Quote:

My girlfriend and I live aboard our Hunter 30' along with our three month old son. We are currently leasing a slip at a fairly large marina (only one that allows liveaboards and accommodates sailboats) on a 'party lake'. We are having issues with random people looking into and coming aboard our boat! The marina has a security patrol and gated access to each dock, but with the largest boat rental inventory on the lake two docks over .... there are quite a few people roaming around (like 1,000+ on weekends!). We have had two incidents in the past few months... Here they are.

About a month ago, around 4pm, Ali was sitting shirtless in the saloon burping the baby having just finished breastfeeding, when she felt someone come aboard, she didn't think much of it as I would be arriving home soon. Then a college-age male stuck his head in the companionway, looked around and said "ohh... I didn't know anyone was in here...(still not leaving)..." until she responded "UMM, YA, SOMEONE IS IN HERE!" Then he just casually walked away as he made a phone call. She of course was freaked out and called me.

Then this morning, as Ali was changing the baby in the v-birth about to leave for work she turned around and saw a 'really creepy looking guy' leaning over the starboard rail, hands cupped, looking into the boat! Even when he saw her he just continued to 'look around' until she 'shooed' him away. He then looked offended as he walked back to his car. As he left Ali noticed he was carrying a camera, which of course creped her out even more.

So... have y'all had any similar issues, what did you do? What do you do to prevent them? Both of these instances make me pretty mad and I would have handled them MUCH differently had I been aboard!! (I will just say that I DO have a gun , this IS Texas, and they stepped into MY house!) There is not much we can do to secure the place any better, so I was thinking along the lines of some kind of posted sign. Something along the lines of 'we live here, do not come aboard'...?

Any Ideas?
Twelve pages of posts. Some good ideas, some not so good, and some ..................... !

Since the marina has "the largest boat rental inventory on the lake two docks over", it's not unreasonable for some folks to mistakenly think that all the boats are rental boats. Or, that it's a public area.

Clearly, the marina management should take steps to insure that any visitors are well aware of what areas are public and what areas are private. It is their responsibility to provide a safe, private area for slip renters. Signs and gates should be in place to separate the public areas from private areas.

Posting your slip and boat as "Private Dock, no trespassing" is also a good idea as are the suggestions to keep the curtains drawn and the transom door closed.

Suggestions of using air horns, trip wires, etc. are going to do more harm to the baby than any good keeping trespassers or curious visitors away. And since it's different people each time, they are not a realistic solution.

Someone mentioned that they were displeased with anyone taking photos of them or their boats. If you go out in public, you will be photographed. Put gas in your car, you are being photographed. Enter a convenience store, you are being photographed. Same with a bank or ATM. Some cities put video cameras on public streets and sidewalks. Get over it or move to a third world country. As long people aren't trespassing, they can take all the photographs they want.

Shooting trespassers? Who is going to clean up the mess? Won't the sound of gunfire disturb the baby? And since these are probably just people looking at boats they think are for rent, you'll have to shoot new ones each time. Death is a little severe for unintentional trespassing, don't you think?

Read through the posts, weed out the BS, and go with the reasonable, adult suggestions.
Old 09-08-2010, 16:17   #176

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Hans and Laura's post about their pit bull is great! It reminds me of living aboard in San Diego in a marina that had its' share of 'dock walkers'. We had a large orange cat (about 25 lbs!) who used to sit up in the bow and glare through the hawsepipe at passers by. As soon as they got within spitting distance, he would let out growl like a mad lion... couldn't believe the sound came from such a small animal but everyone gave our boat a wide berth and never ventured down the finger dock beside the boat. This worked great until another boat/cat owner close by had their cat go into heat then we lost our 'watch cat' to love.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:32   #177
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
My first thought is, "Shoot to kill." Seriously, this happened to us and I'll bet anything the young man was hoping to grab the first available valuables and casually saunter away. They always have a ready story like, "Is Charlie here?" or "I heard the boat was for sale and wanted to have a look." This is a "home" invasion and calls for screaming your head off. If the perp can be nabbed, charge him. You need a sign for your boat and the marina also needs to step up its signage and its security.
JanetGroene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56   #178
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I have had the same experience that Laura has had with Pit Bulls. They are really great animals, and the smaller bitch is usually perfect for guard on the boat.
I meet a guy in Australia that raised them for guard dogs. He said that they could tell if someone had bad intentions, as was always harmless to the good guys. Works for me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 15:30   #179

I agree with Janet, it is a home invasion and should be treated as such!! As with the pitbull, All animals are great as long as they have been treated and trained well by loving parents. The exact psychology goes for kids as well!! There's good kids and bad ones.. As well as adults...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 17:26   #180

Boat: a sailing boat
All fine, but is this sort of trespassing as common as one could believe it is reading our posts?

We had a less than welcomed visitor but once.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote